Jump to topic:

What/Who is Evil? What/Who is Good?

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 5:28:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have two questions that are simple to ask but difficult to answer. I was on the Webcam earlier this week with a fellow DDOer discussing what is evil and what is good. The two are considered what defines morality or what is associated with it because they are antithetical. My two questions are:

What/Who is Evil?
-Can a person be evil or is it the behavior that the person demonstrates that is evil?

What/Who is Good?
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 5:35:47 PM
At 2/5/2014 5:28:07 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
I have two questions that are simple to ask but difficult to answer. I was on the Webcam earlier this week with a fellow DDOer discussing what is evil and what is good. The two are considered what defines morality or what is associated with it because they are antithetical. My two questions are:

What/Who is Evil?
-Can a person be evil or is it the behavior that the person demonstrates that is evil?

What/Who is Good?

Evil is malice, spite, selfishness, or meanness for its own sake.

Good is what is generally acceptable.

Perhaps I have strange views, but I don't think that "good" and "evil" are necessarily antithetical. I think good is more vague than evil, because evil is very easy to achieve, whereas perfection is outright impossible.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 5:39:44 PM
At 2/5/2014 5:35:47 PM, Such wrote:

What/Who is Evil?

What/Who is Good?

Perhaps I have strange views, but I don't think that "good" and "evil" are necessarily antithetical. I think good is more vague than evil, because evil is very easy to achieve, whereas perfection is outright impossible.

Moreover, what is considered "good" is based on individual interpretation more often than not. I think what is "right" has a more substantive foundation.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 5:55:49 PM

These are adjectives which describe the behavior. In many respects depending on the usage of the terms, an air of morality is associated with these terms. What do you associate with "malice," "selfishness," and "meanness?"

In your opinion, is it the behavior that is evil? Not the person.

I disagree with you on several points but I am not interested in bringing it up since I'm only interested in gathering opinions on the subject. Also I would point out that "right" is usually associated with "good" because it is what is "morally right." "Evil" is usually associated with what is "morally wrong."
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 5:56:55 PM
I mean what behavior do you associate with those terms you provided.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 6:17:54 PM
At 2/5/2014 5:55:49 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

These are adjectives which describe the behavior. In many respects depending on the usage of the terms, an air of morality is associated with these terms. What do you associate with "malice," "selfishness," and "meanness?"

I disagree with you on several points but I am not interested in bringing it up since I'm only interested in gathering opinions on the subject. Also I would point out that "right" is usually associated with "good" because it is what is "morally right." "Evil" is usually associated with what is "morally wrong."

mal"ice [mal-is] Show IPA
noun
desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.
Law. evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

self"ish [sel-fish] Show IPA
adjective
devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.

mean2 [meen] Show IPA
adjective, mean"er, mean"est.
offensive, selfish, or unaccommodating; nasty; malicious: a mean remark; He gets mean when he doesn't get his way.
small-minded or ignoble: mean motives. Synonyms: contemptible, despicable.
penurious, stingy, or miserly: a person who is mean about money. Synonyms: niggardly, close, tight, parsimonious, illiberal, ungenerous, selfish.
inferior in grade, quality, or character: no mean reward.
low in status, rank, or dignity: mean servitors. Synonyms: common, humble; undignified, plebeian.

"Right" can be associated with "good," but I still think that "right" is a more accurate term.

Why would you withhold disagreement in a conversation on a debate website?
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 6:28:07 PM

Well, that's something separate entirely. There are evil actions, which can be committed by anyone, and evil people, who are predisposed to evil acts. I guess one could say that it merely requires evil thoughts and not evil acts to make someone evil, but since mind-reading isn't possible, the contents of someone's mind is irrelevant until it has at least the potential to convert into action.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 6:53:03 PM
At 2/5/2014 6:17:54 PM, Such wrote:

noun
desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.
Law. evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others.

adjective
devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.

mean2 [meen] Show IPA
offensive, selfish, or unaccommodating; nasty; malicious: a mean remark; He gets mean when he doesn't get his way.
penurious, stingy, or miserly: a person who is mean about money. Synonyms: niggardly, close, tight, parsimonious, illiberal, ungenerous, selfish.
low in status, rank, or dignity: mean servitors. Synonyms: common, humble; undignified, plebeian.

The terms you used can be applied relatively. Selfishness, malice, and meanness are relative to the perspective of the individual. In some cases these terms may be applied to someone who may have unintentionally engaged in a particular behavior.

For example, someone(Person A) may pressure one of their friends(Person B) into consuming alcohol on their 21st birthday. Person A may be doing this to build rapport with Person B, not out of contempt or some warped hatred. Does this action make Person A, selfish or mean? Is Person A guilty of malice? Possibly from Person B's perspective all three of the terms you applied may be used to describe Person A if they don't enjoy alcohol. Especially if Person B suffers from Flush Syndrome.

That is why I asked what behavior are you associating with the terms you provided. What does one need to do for you to apply these terms?

"Right" can be associated with "good," but I still think that "right" is a more accurate term.

My disagreement laid in your usage of terms. I am not going to get in to that because it is largely a waste of time for you and me. As I implied I am not interested in stating my own opinion on the matter. I know enough about it already and I am not interested in persuading anyone on it either at this time.

Well, that's something separate entirely. There are evil actions, which can be committed by anyone, and evil people, who are predisposed to evil acts. I guess one could say that it merely requires evil thoughts and not evil acts to make someone evil, but since mind-reading isn't possible, the contents of someone's mind is irrelevant until it has at least the potential to convert into action.
In your opinion, if someone gets angry and imagines in their mind that they want to beat someone unconscious or kill them, they are evil? But it wouldn't matter that they are evil because they are not acting on it so no one else would know what took place in that person's mind. It sounds like a significant amount of the world is evil according to this.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:02:10 PM
At 2/5/2014 6:17:54 PM, Such wrote:

noun

adjective

mean2 [meen] Show IPA

How would being primarily concerned for my own self interest be evil. Should I primarily be concerned with my neighbors self interest?
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:28:00 PM
A person can have an evil mind and communicate evil ideas. When he promotes views that are destructive to humankind I think it's alright to call a person evil.

Generally I regard "evil" as anything which promotes gratuitous pain and suffering and death. ( Gratuitous means "unnecessary". ) I also put in this category anything that leads to the instability of communities and human civilization.

I've already posted a list of "sins" in another thread somewhere. I'm going to go find it.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:38:24 PM
In my "evil" is anything that provokes intense anger, destroys lives, destroys the Earth, gratuitously increases instability of communities, and reinforces inequality/unfairness in society.

My list of evil "sins" include:

-sexual promiscuity
-drug use
-shunning one's personal and civic responsibilities
-breaking laws (unless they're incredibly unfair or unjust)
-the harboring and spreading of racist and bigoted views
-stealing
-inciting or being involved in unlawful violent acts
-polluting, destroying the Earth
-unjustly abusing animals and unconstructively damaging the wilderness
-overall not being a productive member of society
-intentionally promoting views that do not let the underpriveleged and the poor from advancing in society.
whatledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 6:09:09 AM

What/Who is Evil?

What/Who is Good?

Does evil and good have an objective reality? Or is it just concepts made by humans to self-prescribe the value of our behavior?
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 2:54:08 PM
At 2/6/2014 6:09:09 AM, whatledge wrote:

What/Who is Evil?

What/Who is Good?

Does evil and good have an objective reality? Or is it just concepts made by humans to self-prescribe the value of our behavior?

My personal opinion is a bit similar to this.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 2:55:43 PM
At 2/5/2014 11:38:24 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
In my "evil" is anything that provokes intense anger, destroys lives, destroys the Earth, gratuitously increases instability of communities, and reinforces inequality/unfairness in society.

My list of evil "sins" include:

-sexual promiscuity
-drug use
-shunning one's personal and civic responsibilities
-breaking laws (unless they're incredibly unfair or unjust)
-the harboring and spreading of racist and bigoted views
-stealing
-inciting or being involved in unlawful violent acts
-polluting, destroying the Earth
-unjustly abusing animals and unconstructively damaging the wilderness
-overall not being a productive member of society
-intentionally promoting views that do not let the underpriveleged and the poor from advancing in society.

Some of this is a bit harsh. But it is interesting nevertheless.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 5:52:18 PM

What/Who is Evil?

What/Who is Good?

Do you ask this because you are completely in the dark about it and are looking for answers or is it just to argue for the sake of argument and retentiveness.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 5:54:51 PM
At 2/6/2014 5:52:18 PM, sadolite wrote:

What/Who is Evil?

What/Who is Good?

Do you ask this because you are completely in the dark about it and are looking for answers or is it just to argue for the sake of argument and retentiveness.

(relative-ness)
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 5:56:41 PM

Neither. I am more interested in learning what others attribute and associate with the "good" and "evil." Considering the terms are used quite often on this site and in the real world. It would be a learning experience to read what others think about it. I am not interested in arguing the topic, at least not this second...........
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 6:00:36 PM
At 2/6/2014 5:56:41 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

Neither. I am more interested in learning what others attribute and associate with the "good" and "evil." Considering the terms are used quite often on this site and in the real world. It would be a learning experience to read what others think about it. I am not interested in arguing the topic, at least not this second...........

Then I guess you should be prepared to hear that everything is good, everything is evil, everything is relative and there is no such thing as good and evil.

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 6:09:06 PM
At 2/6/2014 6:00:36 PM, sadolite wrote:

Then I guess you should be prepared to hear that everything is good, everything is evil, everything is relative and there is no such thing as good and evil.

No, I don't expect to read that at all from what I have seen posted around the forums. From what I have observed only a minority of members would say or imply what you mentioned. I think people with opinions similar to whatledge(#13 post) are in the minority on the website. I know of other sites where I can find those opinions in the forums and it is popular. I imagine very few people would post in the DDO forums declaring all is good or all is evil or there is no such thing as good and evil.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 6:17:46 PM
At 2/6/2014 6:09:06 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

No, I don't expect to read that at all from what I have seen posted around the forums. From what I have observed only a minority of members would say or imply what you mentioned. I think people with opinions similar to whatledge(#13 post) are in the minority on the website. I know of other sites where I can find those opinions in the forums and it is popular. I imagine very few people would post in the DDO forums declaring all is good or all is evil or there is no such thing as good and evil.

But you will hear all of what I stated. The population of the world as a whole can't figure out good and evil are or don't believe it exists at all. Hence, history repeating itself until the end of time.

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 6:32:00 PM
At 2/6/2014 6:17:46 PM, sadolite wrote:

But you will hear all of what I stated. The population of the world as a whole can't figure out good and evil are or don't believe it exists at all. Hence, history repeating itself until the end of time.

That is not true. The English language dates back to the 5th or 6th century if I recall correctly. So before there were no such terms as "good" and "evil." English will eventually die out as well. So it will not exist until the end of time either.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:01:11 PM
At 2/6/2014 6:32:00 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

That is not true. The English language dates back to the 5th or 6th century if I recall correctly. So before there were no such terms as "good" and "evil." English will eventually die out as well. So it will not exist until the end of time either.

I am talking about war and why they are fought, not language.

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:16:05 PM
At 2/6/2014 8:01:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

I don't see where you mentioned war previously or implied it. Aside from that, one does not need moral justification to engage in war at all. Moral justification offers legitimacy to conflicts.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:21:48 PM
At 2/6/2014 8:16:05 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

I don't see where you mentioned war previously or implied it. Aside from that, one does not need moral justification to engage in war at all. Moral justification offers legitimacy to conflicts.

And history shall repeat itself over and over and over for the exact same reasons. The inability of the worlds population to recognize what makes history repeat itself over and over and over.

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:25:37 PM
At 2/6/2014 8:21:48 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/6/2014 8:16:05 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

And history shall repeat itself over and over and over for the exact same reasons. The inability of the worlds population to recognize what makes history repeat itself over and over and over.
I disagree profusely. "The Brave New World" prediction says otherwise. The future says otherwise as well. The United States and Europe are the best examples.A world where majority of the world's populace takes a drug of some sort and is educated will be a distinctly different world from the past.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:26:39 PM
I'm really enjoying this new insistent pessimism by you, sadolite. I think I might be behind it, to be honest.
madhavavermadantuluri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:34:55 AM
I believe, its the circumstances and time of person turn him into a Evil.
~Madhava Verma Dantuluri
"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:16:35 PM
prediction? History has never failed to repeat itself. Predictions for the future, wrong 99% of the time.

Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 6:47:14 PM
At 2/5/2014 6:53:03 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

What does one need to do for you to apply these terms?

Intent.

In your opinion, if someone gets angry and imagines in their mind that they want to beat someone unconscious or kill them, they are evil? But it wouldn't matter that they are evil because they are not acting on it so no one else would know what took place in that person's mind. It sounds like a significant amount of the world is evil according to this.

You literally restated what I wrote.

since mind-reading isn't possible, the contents of someone's mind is irrelevant until it has at least the potential to convert into action. = But it wouldn't matter that they are evil because they are not acting on it so no one else would know what took place in that person's mind.