Jump to topic:

God as a Properly Basic Belief

Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:55:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What do you think of the idea that God can be known immediately, purely through one's environment? Philosophers call this kind of belief "properly basic".

I believe you can know God through your environment.

For example, the wondrous beauty of the Bach sonata I have downloaded is proof of the transcendent quality of the human mind.

We know there are these transcendent experiences we can have, so we can know there is an ultimate transcendent part of nature, aka God.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:32:19 PM
At 2/6/2014 7:55:45 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
What do you think of the idea that God can be known immediately, purely through one's environment? Philosophers call this kind of belief "properly basic".

I believe you can know God through your environment.

For example, the wondrous beauty of the Bach sonata I have downloaded is proof of the transcendent quality of the human mind.

We know there are these transcendent experiences we can have, so we can know there is an ultimate transcendent part of nature, aka God.

If you define God so vaguely, I suppose anyone could relate.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
KnightArtorias
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 1:00:29 AM
A properly basic belief is a belief which without we could not make sense of the world around us. Plenty of people function just fine without the belief in God. Better even arguably. So, no, God is not properly basic.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."