Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Newton's Flaming Laser Sword.

Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 8:12:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Newton's Flaming Laser Sword is a philosophical razor, just like Occam's, that states:

"Anything that cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating."

It means that if your question cannot be settled through observation, it is a stupid question no matter how sound your logical argument is. This is the essential difference between science and philosophy - the former is backed up by evidence and therefore useful, while the latter is a waste of time and brain power.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:04:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is there some sexual connotation here that I'm missing? I'm getting all hot and bothered reading the title and I don't know why...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 10:18:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2014 8:12:30 PM, Jack212 wrote:
Newton's Flaming Laser Sword is a philosophical razor, just like Occam's, that states:

"Anything that cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating."

Can this claim be settled by experiment?


It means that if your question cannot be settled through observation, it is a stupid question no matter how sound your logical argument is. This is the essential difference between science and philosophy - the former is backed up by evidence and therefore useful, while the latter is a waste of time and brain power.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 5:01:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/7/2014 10:18:50 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 2/7/2014 8:12:30 PM, Jack212 wrote:
Newton's Flaming Laser Sword is a philosophical razor, just like Occam's, that states:

"Anything that cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating."

Can this claim be settled by experiment?

No, because a razor is not a theory and does not predict results. It is merely an analytical tool that determines whether an argument is nonsense. You're welcome to quibble over this if it makes you feel like an intellectual, but as such an argument cannot be settled by experiment, I will ignore you.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 5:03:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 5:01:17 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 2/7/2014 10:18:50 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 2/7/2014 8:12:30 PM, Jack212 wrote:
Newton's Flaming Laser Sword is a philosophical razor, just like Occam's, that states:

"Anything that cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating."

Can this claim be settled by experiment?

No, because a razor is not a theory and does not predict results. It is merely an analytical tool that determines whether an argument is nonsense.

But the principle behind the tool can still be questioned, and has to be settled. Since it cannot be settled by experiment, then your whole argument is self-refuting.

You're welcome to quibble over this if it makes you feel like an intellectual, but as such an argument cannot be settled by experiment, I will ignore you.

Well, I thought I should just let you know that your argument is contradictory. Sorry if you don't like it? I don't know what else to say lol
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 5:29:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/8/2014 5:03:31 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 2/8/2014 5:01:17 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 2/7/2014 10:18:50 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 2/7/2014 8:12:30 PM, Jack212 wrote:
Newton's Flaming Laser Sword is a philosophical razor, just like Occam's, that states:

"Anything that cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating."

Can this claim be settled by experiment?

No, because a razor is not a theory and does not predict results. It is merely an analytical tool that determines whether an argument is nonsense.

But the principle behind the tool can still be questioned, and has to be settled. Since it cannot be settled by experiment, then your whole argument is self-refuting.


You're welcome to quibble over this if it makes you feel like an intellectual, but as such an argument cannot be settled by experiment, I will ignore you.

Well, I thought I should just let you know that your argument is contradictory. Sorry if you don't like it? I don't know what else to say lol

On the contrary, Newton's Flaming Laser Sword reinforces itself. It doesn't affect the principle, just the debate. As the debate over the principle's validity cannot be settled by experiment, it is not worth having. The principle itself is merely a tool to screen out stupid discussions, which you can either use or not at your discretion.
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 7:45:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why can't it be tested? Assuming "worth" is in utility, we can then test the utility of, say, debating whether eating is good for you vs. debating whether unicorns exist.
0x5f3759df