Jump to topic:

How do you defeat the fear of death

InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 11:49:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Stop trying to conquer it; that's how. Give up the fight. Only when you relinquish control can you truly be free.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 11:50:43 PM
At 2/11/2014 11:49:24 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
Stop trying to conquer it; that's how. Give up the fight. Only when you relinquish control can you truly be free.

How come you're up so late?
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 11:51:59 PM
At 2/11/2014 11:50:43 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I have a lot on my mind. Can't think while I'm sleeping.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 11:52:53 PM
At 2/11/2014 11:51:59 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
At 2/11/2014 11:50:43 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I have a lot on my mind. Can't think while I'm sleeping.

Fancy a chat?
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 3:07:10 AM
Thinking about how much it didn't bother you that you haven't been alive for billions of years, how many many people have, and many more will die (you're not alone), that how you impact reality in the past present and future will continue to exist after you cease to, and that the fear of death is a biological creation to stop you from dying too soon. It's fine to be afraid of death, but just keep these things in mind and try to not let it bother you too much.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 4:20:22 PM
"How do you defeat the fear of death" One can mask their fear or hide it but the only way to "defeat" the fear at all it is to die. You will always be apprehensive of what you know nothing about. All the seemingly bravest people in the world who appear to be unafraid of death will tell you they fear it just as much as anyone, They are just better able to compose themselves when facing the possibility of death. I personally would not believe anyone who said they were not afraid of death. The only way they could prove it to me is to kill themselves right there on the spot. Then and only then I would say they are not afraid of death. Risking your life is not the same thing, I do that every single day I go to work by getting in a car and then doing my job.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 4:29:24 PM
At 2/11/2014 11:32:28 PM, ben2974 wrote:
What are the stories of people "conquering" this fear?

never think about it.
Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
Fox-McCloud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 4:40:27 PM
Suicide.
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 5:04:34 PM
It's not something you can typically defeat. People all chase immortality through 4 different ways.

Legacy-

Resurrection-

Ascension-

Reproduction-

I noticed that some Chinese philosophers suggest accepting that you're already dead as an option as well. I find that even suicidal people are in a sort I denial about death. They usually view it as simply going to sleep.

I cope with it through the glimmer of hope Transhuman philosophy gives me.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 5:07:23 PM
Epicurus has a famous argument about this, called the "No Subject of Harm" assertion. Here it is:

1.Death is annihilation.
2.The living have not yet been annihilated (otherwise they wouldn"t be alive).
3.Death does not affect the living. (from 1 and 2)
4.So, death is not bad for the living. (from 3)
5.For something to be bad for somebody, that person has to exist, at least.
6.The dead do not exist. (from 1)
7.Therefore, death is not bad for the dead. (from 5 and 6)
8.Therefore death is bad for neither the living nor the dead. (from 4 and 7)

If death causes no pain and is not bad, it is irrational to fear it.

Source: http://www.iep.utm.edu...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 9:38:21 PM
The Fool: A wise man once told me that, "as you get older, especially when you start breaking down, you come to the realization that you will eventually stop working, and you slowly, and gradually ease into the acceptance of its inevitability. Perhaps even without notice."

For things become boring and less interesting over time, in the same way that we"ve lost interest, in many of the things we found so interesting as children.
This process repeats itself and generalizes, slowly and steadily onto more things.
Perhaps there is a kind of satisfaction, which is achieved, when the fear of death is alleviated, and taken off our shoulders.

For it"s hard to see, from a young and lively perspective, as we have
so much to do and proof, and of course the necessity of fearing death, is to survive for the possibility of some purpose, or at least, that"s what he told me before he spirited away".

Into thin air..
<(80)

I swear"..
<(8D)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 2:53:56 AM
"Fear of death is easily the silliest of all phobias, for the dead need not fear further injury."

-Albert Einstein

That's what I think of whenever I fear death, anyways.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 8:02:18 PM
At 2/12/2014 9:38:21 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: A wise man once told me that, "as you get older, especially when you start breaking down, you come to the realization that you will eventually stop working, and you slowly, and gradually ease into the acceptance of its inevitability. Perhaps even without notice."

For things become boring and less interesting over time, in the same way that we"ve lost interest, in many of the things we found so interesting as children.
This process repeats itself and generalizes, slowly and steadily onto more things.
Perhaps there is a kind of satisfaction, which is achieved, when the fear of death is alleviated, and taken off our shoulders.

For it"s hard to see, from a young and lively perspective, as we have
so much to do and proof, and of course the necessity of fearing death, is to survive for the possibility of some purpose, or at least, that"s what he told me before he spirited away".

Into thin air..
<(80)

I swear"..
<(8D)

This is great. Thanks for this.

And thanks for all of you for pointing other things out.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 8:43:33 PM

Because it makes as much sense as fearing "before your birth"

Also, we are all part of the universe, the atoms that make us up return to the ecosystem for the next cycle of life, just like the the fact you are breathing in 5+ billion year old dead stardust as you read this message.

Also, the person that you were when you were a young is already gone, as essentially every single atom that made you up then has been exchanged now.

I think I'll leave the more romantic philosophical pep talks to someone else :-)
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 9:05:45 PM
At 2/13/2014 8:43:33 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

Also, we are all part of the universe, the atoms that make us up return to the ecosystem for the next cycle of life, just like the the fact you are breathing in 5+ billion year old dead stardust as you read this message.

Also, the person that you were when you were a young is already gone, as essentially every single atom that made you up then has been exchanged now.

I think I'll leave the more romantic philosophical pep talks to someone else :-)

It's crazy, reeally. It's been eating at me for 2 years now. In that time, I've thought of all sorts of things. Everything everyone listed here has crossed my mind at least once before I made this thread.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 9:21:43 PM
At 2/13/2014 9:05:45 PM, ben2974 wrote:
At 2/13/2014 8:43:33 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

It's crazy, reeally. It's been eating at me for 2 years now. In that time, I've thought of all sorts of things. Everything everyone listed here has crossed my mind at least once before I made this thread.

We'll maybe you should just stop wasting your time worrying about it? It will come soon enough, you will have plenty of time to worry about it then. Until then there's nothing you can do about it so stop worrying.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 4:24:45 PM

I'd suggest stage three cancer and religion. That tends to, how one might say, KILL their fear.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
rwilliamson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 11:38:09 PM
There is an old saying, "Death smiles at us all," Marcus Aurelius said, "all man can do is smile back." It is understandable for a man of his time to have had such a defeated attitude toward death, but what of you and I today? Well, you may be surprised with what I'll say next. You may not have to die. Let me repeat. You may not have to die. You see, A new age in medical science and technology is emerging. It is the age of regenerative medicine. The way in which people will be diagnosed and treated for diseases will be far more personalized and effective. How effective? How does celebrating your one-thousandth birthday sound to you? "Oh, Phooey!" you may be tempted to say, but I challenge you to google indefinite life extension. I encourage you to keep an open-mind and research thoroughly before making a judgement. You will discover that the greatest obstacle is not a matter of feasibility, but a lack of awareness and support. What do you really stand to lose? You may be enlightened. I recommend two videos. The first is by Gennady Stolyarov II (http://youtu.be...) and the second is by Aubrey De Grey (http://m.youtube.com...). I thank you for your time.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 8:39:51 PM

I live with chronic nerve damage. At one point I was misdiagnosed with a fatal cancer which would supposedly kill me in 90 days or less. At no time in my adult life have I ever felt so unafraid of death, even though I'm a father of three. Why? Because I wasn't cheating, I wasn't quitting, and I no longer needed to worry about the future (my family's welfare was covered). The greatest feeling we can ever experience is peace in the face of death.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 2:43:57 PM
At 2/18/2014 8:39:51 PM, Idealist wrote:

I live with chronic nerve damage. At one point I was misdiagnosed with a fatal cancer which would supposedly kill me in 90 days or less. At no time in my adult life have I ever felt so unafraid of death, even though I'm a father of three. Why? Because I wasn't cheating, I wasn't quitting, and I no longer needed to worry about the future (my family's welfare was covered). The greatest feeling we can ever experience is peace in the face of death.

I see... ty
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 4:31:18 PM
I had a near death scare and basically the fear was of never seeing people again. This is such a loss it really filled me with fear and sorrow.
I got the all clear and now I just think each day is another gift, I've already had many more days than a lot of people.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 9:53:06 PM

I have never been afraid of death until I decided I didn't want to follow christianity. It is so much easier to believe when you die you go to heaven. Or hell even. At least in hell I would presumably still be me. Or what ever makes me, me. But what frightens me the most is the thought of not existing. The idea that when I die, I just simply won't be. We don't cant even fully understand what existence is. I try to understand what not existing would be like and I always come to the realization that I can't even fathom what its. Sometimes that really upsets my balance. I'm really hoping theres something more to life.

Anyway, sorry for that. I guess this thread just seems the best tie to get that out. I am eagerly waiting for a answer you find satisfactory. Unfortunately I don't have one.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 8:28:49 AM
At 2/12/2014 9:01:38 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
The only thing to really "fear" is pain, and thats just instinct.

You forgot the IRS, EPA, FDA and all local code enforcement
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 11:37:41 AM
At 2/22/2014 8:28:49 AM, sadolite wrote:

I thought it was clear that these guys were the central pain causes among us.
Nolite Timere
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 11:41:59 AM
At 2/22/2014 11:37:41 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Ya, maybe so for those with experience. But young people who have not yet entered the work force and business community have no idea what awaits them as these dealers in destruction and pain descend upon them.

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 11:47:12 AM
At 2/22/2014 11:41:59 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/22/2014 11:37:41 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Ya, maybe so for those with experience. But young people who have not yet entered the work force and business community have no idea what awaits them as these dealers in destruction and pain descend upon them.

haha
Nolite Timere
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2014 12:35:20 AM
At 2/21/2014 4:31:18 PM, Kreakin wrote:
I had a near death scare and basically the fear was of never seeing people again. This is such a loss it really filled me with fear and sorrow.
I got the all clear and now I just think each day is another gift, I've already had many more days than a lot of people.

That's a very good attitude to have. Frankly my situation is different because, as I mentioned above, I suffer from incurable nerve damage, and I'm fated to live in permanent pain, so I often feel ambivalent about the idea of death. I mean, in a way it would be a release, but like you say, the thought of it can be somehow very lonely.