Jump to topic:

limits

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 4:34:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Fist lets ask this question will man know everything about everything given enough time?

If so, then stop reading this forum post and move somewhere else, the rest of it will be pointless irrelevant to you. If not, what indicators should man look for in determining that he will never understand something because even the smartest people in the world will never have the brain power to understand it.

Maybe list possible examples of things man will never be able to understand other than unwarranted personal attacks, this forum, post and me.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Fox-McCloud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 5:08:04 PM
The multiverse, because even if it were to exist, it is in principle not empirically accessible.
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 6:16:55 PM
At 2/12/2014 4:34:12 PM, sadolite wrote:
Fist lets ask this question will man know everything about everything given enough time?

If so, then stop reading this forum post and move somewhere else, the rest of it will be pointless irrelevant to you. If not, what indicators should man look for in determining that he will never understand something because even the smartest people in the world will never have the brain power to understand it.

Maybe list possible examples of things man will never be able to understand other than unwarranted personal attacks, this forum, post and me.

We cannot understand everything. For one, there is too much information for a single person to remember. For another, we always have a margin of error to deal with. And finally, there's the Uncertainty Principle, which states that matter and energy are innately random and that certain properties are mutually exclusive (the more defined one is, the less defined the other is. This is not a failure in our detection abilities, but the universe itself being indecisive).
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 8:38:48 PM
At 2/12/2014 6:16:55 PM, Jack212 wrote:

We cannot understand everything. For one, there is too much information for a single person to remember. For another, we always have a margin of error to deal with. And finally, there's the Uncertainty Principle, which states that matter and energy are innately random and that certain properties are mutually exclusive (the more defined one is, the less defined the other is. This is not a failure in our detection abilities, but the universe itself being indecisive).

So man "assumes" based "only" on observation that the universe is indecisive? What if it wasn't? What if everything had a place and a purpose and man just doesn't have the brain power to grasp it, but only make ridiculous observations and reasoning on something he has not nearly enough brain power to even speculate on.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 4:29:46 AM
I suppose it's always hard to guess what will remain an unsolvable mystery since you don't know what is around the corner.

The first thing that came to mind is the hard problem of conciseness.

"At some point in the development of certain complex organisms, however, consciousness emerges. This miracle does not depend on a change of materials"for you and I are built of the same atoms as a fern or a ham sandwich. Rather, it must be a matter of organization. Arranging atoms in a certain way appears to bring consciousness into being. And this fact is among the deepest mysteries given to us to contemplate. - See more at: http://www.samharris.org...;

So that is my answer taking you at face value.

If I am not taking you at face value my answer is I get the feeling that you are talking about "limits" cause then you can rant on about well such and such mr smarty scientists will never be able to answer it all, and thus establish ignorance and thus use that ignorance to establish God.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 6:13:53 PM
At 2/12/2014 8:38:48 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/12/2014 6:16:55 PM, Jack212 wrote:

So man "assumes" based "only" on observation that the universe is indecisive? What if it wasn't? What if everything had a place and a purpose and man just doesn't have the brain power to grasp it, but only make ridiculous observations and reasoning on something he has not nearly enough brain power to even speculate on.

We can determine experimentally whether the universe has "made up its mind".

Light is both a wave and a particle, and exhibits properties of either depending on how you observe it. If I set up a screen and fire a laser point at it, I get a single dot. If I put a piece of cardboard with a two parallel slits between my pointer and my screen, I get several dots because the light waves pass through both slits and create an interference pattern. If I configure my laser pointer to only emit one photon at a time, it will still pass through both slits and create an interference pattern with itself. However, if I put a detector anywhere between the pointer and the screen (on either side of the cardboard), then I get a point with no interference pattern.

If we don't detect the photon, it passes through both slits at once and interferes with itself. If we do detect the photon, even after it has passed the cardboard, then it only passes through one slit. The photon has not adopted a definite position until we have measured it. That is what I mean when I say that the universe is indecisive. The photon's position is not physically determined until we detect it.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 3:27:10 PM

Humans will never know if they know everything.
Nolite Timere
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 4:24:16 PM
At 2/14/2014 3:27:10 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Good answer. But they will sure claim to know everything, Especially what they know the least about. LOL

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 9:01:43 AM
At 2/14/2014 3:27:10 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Awh damn I was gonna say that, lol.