What is the meaning of life?

TheWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 10:09:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What is the meaning of life?
I find the meaning of my life in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I cling to the hope of my life in the next. Seeking to bring a piece of God's Kingdom to earth.
https://docs.google.com...
Lead Enforcer of the DDO Revolutionary Party
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 1:13:42 PM
At 2/18/2014 12:37:04 PM, Wocambs wrote:
The meaning of your life is for you to decide. That is the truth.

Not necessarily the truth.

There may be meaning to life which is the absolute ideal way to live.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 1:17:45 PM
At 2/18/2014 1:13:42 PM, johnlubba wrote:

'Ideal' is relative to values, and those values are relative to individuals, and furthermore, 'ideal' would mean 'infinitely valued', so not only would an 'ideal way to live' be different for each individual but it would also be impossible.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 1:27:12 PM
At 2/18/2014 1:17:45 PM, Wocambs wrote:

'Ideal' is relative to values, and those values are relative to individuals, and furthermore, 'ideal' would mean 'infinitely valued', so not only would an 'ideal way to live' be different for each individual but it would also be impossible.

Not necessarily, It's ideal that all must eat otherwise they can not live, not that eating is the ideal meaning to life, but just to show how we can all share the same ideal and it's far from impossible.

On the other hand there may be something which is as equally important that all must do which is the absolute goal of life.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 1:42:43 PM
At 2/18/2014 1:27:12 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/18/2014 1:17:45 PM, Wocambs wrote:

Not necessarily, It's ideal that all must eat otherwise they can not live, not that eating is the ideal meaning to life, but just to show how we can all share the same ideal and it's far from impossible.

On the other hand there may be something which is as equally important that all must do which is the absolute goal of life.

So everyone ought to eat, is that what you're saying? What about the kind of art they like, the music they listen to?
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 3:37:59 PM
At 2/18/2014 7:34:53 AM, XLAV wrote:
What is the meaning of life for you?

"Life" is the state of being alive as opposed to dead. Really, it has no further meaning.
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 3:44:25 PM
At 2/18/2014 3:37:59 PM, Jack212 wrote:

"Life" is the state of being alive as opposed to dead. Really, it has no further meaning.
What is "being alive", what is "being dead"?
SolarSista
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 6:07:05 PM

42. Duh.
"Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people." - Carl Sagan
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 6:08:48 PM
At 2/18/2014 10:01:45 AM, johnlubba wrote:

To live a life full of meaning.

lol I think I'm going to sig this.
Nolite Timere
justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 6:12:51 PM
To serve my real Master through my freedom to free others from slavery to a broken world.
-Justin K. Graves, Demon Hunter
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 7:54:13 PM
I've never heard of such a deplorable thing.

Life is where meaning is made. I'm typing this out because it somehow means something to me. But there's no grand objective to it.

If there were some ultimate goal to it all and I wasn't free to walk about, I would just exit right now, stage left.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 8:35:38 PM

To be able to rid myself of all my regrets. I started trying to accomplish this about six years ago by repaying an old $100 loan with interest , and for every "debt" I manage to erase since then I feel freer than I did before. I think peace is the greatest feeling we can experience.
Ipsofacto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 9:20:13 PM
At 2/18/2014 6:18:21 PM, MysticEgg wrote:

Now who cannot appreciate a Doug Adams reference and an invitation to banter with the Hoovaloo.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 11:28:39 PM
At 2/18/2014 3:44:25 PM, nummi wrote:

Being alive is when you're not dead, and being dead is when you're not alive.
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 7:38:42 AM
At 2/18/2014 11:28:39 PM, Jack212 wrote:

This is not an answer. Try again.
What makes one alive, what makes one dead? What determines being alive, what determines being dead?
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 10:06:31 AM
At 2/18/2014 9:23:40 PM, Ipsofacto wrote:
Meaning of life?

What's more to be said beyond Westminster? To know God and enjoy Him forever.

Bingo
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 2:02:52 PM
At 2/19/2014 7:38:42 AM, nummi wrote:

What makes one alive, what makes one dead? What determines being alive, what determines being dead?

Not being dead makes you alive, and not being alive makes you dead. You are determined to be "alive" if you are not dead, and you are determined to be "dead" if you are not alive.

I know this is circular reasoning, but tough sh*t. The English language is built on circular reasoning, so trying to accurately define "alive" and "dead" becomes rather meaningless. Sure, there are legal and medical definitions that you could use, but they include other categories such as "unborn", "comatose," "brain dead", etc, and are only applicable when describing biological, non-technologically-upgraded humans. They also miss the point that I'm trying to make.

There is literally no other purpose to being alive than being alive. You can find stuff to occupy your time while you're alive, but as far as "the big picture" goes, your life has no purpose other than to continue.
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 4:37:33 PM
At 2/19/2014 2:02:52 PM, Jack212 wrote:
At 2/19/2014 7:38:42 AM, nummi wrote:

Not being dead makes you alive, and not being alive makes you dead. You are determined to be "alive" if you are not dead, and you are determined to be "dead" if you are not alive.

I know this is circular reasoning, but tough sh*t. The English language is built on circular reasoning, so trying to accurately define "alive" and "dead" becomes rather meaningless.
Language is not built on circular logic. If you cannot explain it any better, then it is your personal shortcoming. There are enough words to explain well enough without going in circles. If those specific words aren't enough then there is context.
But it is true that for some notions there really are no words, that they really cannot be put into words.

Sure, there are legal and medical definitions that you could use, but they include other categories such as "unborn", "comatose," "brain dead", etc, and are only applicable when describing biological, non-technologically-upgraded humans. They also miss the point that I'm trying to make.
To know what is being alive and what is being dead, you must first establish what life is. Life is not the state of being alive, because this would require "being alive" already established, but "being alive" is entirely dependent on life and not the other way around.
The way you are regarding it you could regard a stone as being dead. But for it to be dead it should have been alive at one point. Yet it never has been. You could view a stone as "not alive", but viewing it as "dead" would be wrong. There can be no death without life.

There is literally no other purpose to being alive than being alive. You can find stuff to occupy your time while you're alive, but as far as "the big picture" goes, your life has no purpose other than to continue.
It makes no sense. Circular logic is fallacious. In fact it's not logic at all.

Life has observable qualities. It is geared probably since it's coming to be to survival which itself is the overcoming of obstacles that are in the way of its continued existence. Life is made of matter/energy that began from a unique combination that enabled, as a necessity, ever increasing complexity. Even our minds can be regarded as toward life's goal of survival; our minds have the potential to get life, us included, off this planet before it becomes uninhabitable.
The "purpose" life has to keep itself in existence. Although saying it is a purpose or meaning is not exactly right, as it is merely life's inherent quality.
Each human, each individual can choose their own "purpose", yet it would be best the chosen purpose contributes to life's one one way or another. Otherwise, what's the point of doing anything at all?

In the big picture, my individual life is merely a tool toward life's survival. In even a bigger picture, there's no point for anything; what is just is.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 4:51:14 PM
One interesting way to find meaning/purpose in life is to think of life as a journey to uncover everything the universe has to offer. Scientists and philosophers grinding their ways to more and more truths. The scientist is one of the leaders of human progress. To support progress, we invent economists to regulate the economy so that business can thrive, allowing the scientist to continue the grinding with a good cheese burger at the burger joint down the street. We have the doctor that supports the progress of the scientist by keeping him alive and well.
We can divide this path to the thousands of different jobs, each made to support one another to ultimately support our undivided journey to the ultimate understanding of the universe.

And if you want to look at it theologically, we go through this journey in order to find God, or to figure out that God doesn't exist (by unlocking all the truths there are in the universe).
karma-no-drama
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 5:10:18 PM
The meaning of life is being true to yourself meaning what you say and to mean the things in what you do. Truth comes from the heart that has meaning in itself as itself. To be conscious in all that you experience to stay in the now and you come to realize dwelling in the past robs you of today as does worrying about tomorrow steals your heart from what today really means
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 5:16:39 PM
At 2/19/2014 5:10:18 PM, karma-no-drama wrote:
The meaning of life is being true to yourself meaning what you say and to mean the things in what you do. Truth comes from the heart that has meaning in itself as itself. To be conscious in all that you experience to stay in the now and you come to realize dwelling in the past robs you of today as does worrying about tomorrow steals your heart from what today really means

my gosh that was corny and beyond cliche
DrySponge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 2:25:37 PM

It's impoosible to know the meaning of life because only 1 out of an infinite of scenarios have meaning to life existing.

This 1 scenarion being one or more creators creating man WITH A PURPOSE.

EX: An inventer invented an ice-cream machine for the making of ice-cream.
The meaning of the machine is making Ice-cream.Making ice-cream is the meaning of it's existensce .
Now the same example but the machine instead of making ice-cream makes orange juice.
Is the machine fufilling it's purpose ? Has the machine fufilled the meaning of it's existensce?
No and NO.
Simply you can only have a meaning if you were created with a purpose.
So only in creationism does the meaning for life exist( creationism where the creator or creators have made you with a purpose.)

But even if the creationist scenario was true and you would meet your creator or creators you'd still have to thrust in your eyes and senses you would have to trusth that the world around you is real.

You cannot prove the world to be true ever it's impossible
( see egocentric predicament) so you could only trust that the world is real and your creator or creators were real and you can never know it.
Because you don't know that the world is real you can only trust that the world is real.

So the short version you are not able to ever discover the meaning of life.
sudhirs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 4:47:57 AM
Life means opportunity. The meaning of life is to make the best use of this opportunity of realizing our constitutional position of being part and parcel of the Supreme Lord. Understanding our eternal relationship with the Lord and surrendering to Him in utmost love and devotion is the foremost purpose of human life.