Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Should creationism be taught in schools?

charlie_v07
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.
Ipsofacto
Posts: 164
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 9:42:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

Why not?
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 10:54:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 10:00:16 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
Why are there still laws like "Separation of Church and State"?

Because not everyone is a Christian dumbass...
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 10:55:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 10:00:16 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
Why are there still laws like "Separation of Church and State"?

(Sorry for the dumbass thing, I just thought it was obvious).
MysticEgg
Posts: 524
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:59:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

Not in science classrooms, because, you know, it's not science. Still, I think it's significant enough to be taught in cultural history or religious studies.
nummi
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 6:10:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Perhaps should be created a fantasy class, like there is science. For those who have trouble differentiating the two. But even then there's so many better fantasies than those provided by religions...
themohawkninja
Posts: 816
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 9:37:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

If and only if a significant amount of proof can be found for it that passes intense scientific scrutiny.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 7:17:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 9:42:15 PM, Ipsofacto wrote:
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

Why not?

Ya, why not. It's like it some sort of crime to do so. You can't believe half of what you are taught in school anyway. The disinformation is astounding.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Buckethead31594
Posts: 363
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 8:28:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/21/2014 5:59:43 AM, MysticEgg wrote:
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

Not in science classrooms, because, you know, it's not science. Still, I think it's significant enough to be taught in cultural history or religious studies.

I completely agree. Alongside Native American creation stories and such.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Ipsofacto
Posts: 164
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2014 10:43:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/24/2014 7:17:43 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:42:15 PM, Ipsofacto wrote:
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

Why not?

Ya, why not. It's like it some sort of crime to do so. You can't believe half of what you are taught in school anyway. The disinformation is astounding.

I assume we're in agreement and you're not being sarcastic. Right?
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 4:06:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/24/2014 10:43:42 PM, Ipsofacto wrote:
At 2/24/2014 7:17:43 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/20/2014 9:42:15 PM, Ipsofacto wrote:
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

Why not?

Ya, why not. It's like it some sort of crime to do so. You can't believe half of what you are taught in school anyway. The disinformation is astounding.

I assume we're in agreement and you're not being sarcastic. Right?

That's correct
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Sswdwm
Posts: 1,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 4:35:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

In religious studies/history, yes maybe. As Science, no.

I don't think there's even much debate amongst the religious themselves on this account.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:
http://www.debate.org...

God most likely exists:
http://www.debate.org...
slo1
Posts: 4,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 9:04:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

Why do you have to teach someone something they get taught in their church or religion? It is not like it is so complex that it required different levels of course work to teach creationism. Leave creationism in the church and science in school.

Not only that, after including all the variants on creationism, kids will probably be more likely to shake their head and say wtf. You would end up creating more non-believers than keeping it in the church where they can't get exposed to those variants.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 12:56:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 10:00:16 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
Why are there still laws like "Separation of Church and State"?

Because the Founding Fathers of America had moved there to escape State-sponsored religious persecution.
Wardy
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 7:57:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Creationism should be taught in Schools in the right context. In no way should it be presented as though it were a viable representation of the history of either the Earth or the Universe. It should be represented as a part of our species' social and cultural history, one which the masses believed in for centuries and the most likely the majority (unfortunately) still do, regardless of a lack of evidence for it.

I am firmly against the notion that creationism should be taught as though it were on par with Scientific learning and discovery.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 8:18:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It depends on what type of creationism we're talking about, and it what context it is being taught. For instance, biblical creationism shouldn't be taught outside of religious or historical/cultural studies, because doing otherwise would be toeing, if not breaking right past, the line of church state separation. Though there are private schools that do teach creationism as science, public schools should be allowed to do so in a manner portraying it as science or fact.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 10:19:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.
It's actually referred to as Intelligent Design now. Before it was penned Intelligent Design, the term Creationism was understood by it's proponents as not representing Biblical Creationism. The same principle of the idea of intelligent design was understood by it's proponents, but not by it's opposition which still believes ID is some sort of evangelical conspiracy.

ID was actually taught briefly in Lebec, CA as a philosophy class, but still came under fire and the course discontinued.

There really is no reason to exclude ID from science alongside evolution let alone as a philosophy course.
Anti-atheist
Posts: 213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 6:22:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
science should be taught ins chools, which means creationism should be taught in schools. can evolutionists answer this one challenge: how can nature make the complexity of dna? I have never seen a deer make dna..evolution is for atheists.
Anti-atheist

Registered genius
Certified butt-f*cker

imabench for fuhrer '13
NicholasPiva
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 10:18:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Of course it should be taught in schools. This is without a question. The sole reason it isn't widespread by now is because people fear what they don't know and to teach topics that are not ironclad in fact would have dismal results.

But are we forgetting the many theories of the hard-sciences that we like to extol? Are those THEORIES any different than the creation story, I would say not much.

My view is that not everyone should be christian, I am not. The reason it should be taught is to make our children more aware of the religion that two billion people adhere to and claim truth from it.

Do we intentionally want to blind our kids? Of course not; we pride ourselves in hoping our children obtain the best education as possible and by understanding the major religions, they become more worldly.

And worldliness is becoming a lost art with the pervasive lack of reading, shouldn't we jump start the 12st century renaissance and teach our children all that is prominent? Yes.
Nicholas J. Piva
Orangatang
Posts: 442
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 2:27:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

It should not be taught in the science classroom, the religious class is a more honest setting. I just wrote a long paper for my philosophy of science class on exactly this topic. Basically the core beliefs of creationism do not fulfill any of the characteristics of a criterion for science. Creationism is unfalsifiable, it violates Ockham"s razor, it is not reliable, it is non-applicable to precision, it contains no specificity, it has no effective explanatory power, its supporting evidence is non-existent, and it doesn"t qualify as tentative. I explain each characteristic in detail in my paper and how it applies to creationism.
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...
Material_Girl
Posts: 264
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 3:03:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yes. As well as evolution and all other theories on how humanity came about. It's the child's responsibility to decide which theory they believe in.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
Arasa
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 5:05:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/20/2014 8:52:05 PM, charlie_v07 wrote:
For many years there has been controversies surrounding the topic of creationism in schools and many wonder if creationism should be taught among evolution in schools.

(Context: I am a Christian)

Why isn't Geography a high school class any more?

High schools teach evolutionism and the 14.3 billion year-old universe for one reason and one reason only: They will need that knowledge to pass their GenEd classes in college if they decide to pursue a science degree. The same question of "Why does my good friend, a psychology major in college, have to take Research Methods as a class?" Because he will need that in the event of pursuing a master's degree.

If a general education class in state schools was "New Testament 101" and was required of all students, then high schools would be forced to add a class that prepares them for it.

There's no "Because Creationism is wrong" in the purpose of evolutionism being taught in high school. Only "This is what you need to know for your intro college class that is Anthropology or Physics or (insert hard science of some sort here)"

Wow, first I jump into the science forum, and now the philosophy... I think i'm just going to stay in the religious forums from now on. The world just looks different over here...

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:55:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 10:18:18 PM, NicholasPiva wrote:
Of course it should be taught in schools. This is without a question. The sole reason it isn't widespread by now is because people fear what they don't know and to teach topics that are not ironclad in fact would have dismal results.
Not really the case. I would assume curriculum in a science class is based upon generally accepted science, as evolution. The vast majority, and I mean vast, do not even question evolution on a scientific level. If creationism was proven, and became generally accepted scientific fact, it would be taught in school.

But are we forgetting the many theories of the hard-sciences that we like to extol? Are those THEORIES any different than the creation story, I would say not much.
You don't know what a scientific theory is.

My view is that not everyone should be christian, I am not. The reason it should be taught is to make our children more aware of the religion that two billion people adhere to and claim truth from it.
Then it should exist in a religious/philosophy/social studies class, not a science class.

Do we intentionally want to blind our kids? Of course not; we pride ourselves in hoping our children obtain the best education as possible and by understanding the major religions, they become more worldly.
This is why social studies exists. Teaching creationism alongside evolution is a waste of time.

And worldliness is becoming a lost art with the pervasive lack of reading, shouldn't we jump start the 12st century renaissance and teach our children all that is prominent? Yes.
Reading did not somehow make the past centuries more worldly, if anything, the invention of the internet, integration of countries into a world economy, and creation of mass media have made people more worldly than ever before.
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:59:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 5:05:53 PM, Arasa wrote:

(Context: I am a Christian)

Why isn't Geography a high school class any more?
It is.

High schools teach evolutionism and the 14.3 billion year-old universe for one reason and one reason only: They will need that knowledge to pass their GenEd classes in college if they decide to pursue a science degree.
In the same sense that one can only achieve a science degree if one understands science.
The same question of "Why does my good friend, a psychology major in college, have to take Research Methods as a class?" Because he will need that in the event of pursuing a master's degree.
And I wonder why psychology, a science dedicated to understanding people, requires one to know how to research?

If a general education class in state schools was "New Testament 101" and was required of all students, then high schools would be forced to add a class that prepares them for it.
No, it wouldn't You aren't forced to take computer classes, anthropology classes, archaeology classes, architecture classes, and a vast variety of other topic that are covered in universities.

There's no "Because Creationism is wrong" in the purpose of evolutionism being taught in high school. Only "This is what you need to know for your intro college class that is Anthropology or Physics or (insert hard science of some sort here)"
If creationism wasn't wrong colleges would teach it, and then high schools would teach it because it would be correct.
Awe124
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 5:07:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yes it should. If evolution is taught in schools, then so should creationism. Evolution is not fact, it's theory, no one has proved it and often, the facts actually contradict each other, whereas creationism has a solid foundation in history.
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 9:16:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/14/2014 5:07:05 PM, Awe124 wrote:
Yes it should. If evolution is taught in schools, then so should creationism. Evolution is not fact, it's theory, no one has proved it and often, the facts actually contradict each other, whereas creationism has a solid foundation in history.

No.

Really, after saying evolution is taught in schools, everything you wrote was wrong.
Awe124
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 5:15:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/14/2014 9:16:48 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/14/2014 5:07:05 PM, Awe124 wrote:
Yes it should. If evolution is taught in schools, then so should creationism. Evolution is not fact, it's theory, no one has proved it and often, the facts actually contradict each other, whereas creationism has a solid foundation in history.

No.

Really, after saying evolution is taught in schools, everything you wrote was wrong.

Really? Why do you say that?
Check out the Creation Ministries Website
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:23:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 5:15:47 PM, Awe124 wrote:
At 8/14/2014 9:16:48 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/14/2014 5:07:05 PM, Awe124 wrote:
Yes it should. If evolution is taught in schools, then so should creationism. Evolution is not fact, it's theory, no one has proved it and often, the facts actually contradict each other, whereas creationism has a solid foundation in history.

No.

Really, after saying evolution is taught in schools, everything you wrote was wrong.

Really? Why do you say that?
Check out the Creation Ministries Website
You don't know what a scientific theory is, don't understand evolution, and assume that because creationism has "existed longer", it has more validity.