Jump to topic:

Appeal to Ignorance!

Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 1:45:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
{Appeal to Ignorance - An appeal to ignorance occurs when one person uses another person"s lack of knowledge on a particular subject as evidence that their own argument is correct.
For example: "You can"t prove that there aren"t Martians living in caves under the surface of Mars, so it is reasonable for me to believe there are."}
http://examples.yourdictionary.com...

Now what do you think about another example:
"You can't prove that there are Martians living in caves under the surface of Mars, so it is reasonable for me to believe there are not."

Is it also "appeal to ignorance"?
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 2:24:51 PM
At 2/25/2014 1:45:11 PM, Dazz wrote:
{Appeal to Ignorance - An appeal to ignorance occurs when one person uses another person"s lack of knowledge on a particular subject as evidence that their own argument is correct.
For example: "You can"t prove that there aren"t Martians living in caves under the surface of Mars, so it is reasonable for me to believe there are."}

"You can't prove that there are Martians living in caves under the surface of Mars, so it is reasonable for me to believe there are not."

Yes, it is. Affirming or denying something based on lack of evidence is an appeal to ignorance... :P But you can also use inductive reasoning, which looks similar.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 11:31:39 AM
At 2/25/2014 2:24:51 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Yes, it is. Affirming or denying something based on lack of evidence is an appeal to ignorance... :P But you can also use inductive reasoning, which looks similar.

Yes inductive reasoning is same but I think two different names are for separating the criticism. I don't understand how the "inevitability" of inductive reasoning can be an excuse to commit a fallacy.
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 11:34:01 AM
At 2/26/2014 11:31:39 AM, Dazz wrote:

Yes inductive reasoning is same but I think two different names are for separating the criticism. I don't understand how the "inevitability" of inductive reasoning can be an excuse to commit a fallacy.

Appealing to ignorance is when you use something unknown as a premise to support your conclusion.

A is unknown.
Whatever unknown is false.
A is false

Or

A is unknown
Whatsver unknown is true
A is true

Both of these are arguments from ignorance. Ignorance doesn't necessarily predicate truth or falsity... it's just unknown.

Inductive reasoning can look similar, but is completely different.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 11:38:45 AM
At 2/26/2014 11:34:01 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Appealing to ignorance is when you use something unknown as a premise to support your conclusion.

A is unknown.
A is false

Or

A is unknown
Whatsver unknown is true
A is true

Both of these are arguments from ignorance. Ignorance doesn't necessarily predicate truth or falsity... it's just unknown.

Please develop an inductive argument for Martians ;)
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 11:40:15 AM
At 2/26/2014 11:38:45 AM, Dazz wrote:

A is unknown.
A is false

Or

A is unknown
Whatsver unknown is true
A is true

P1: If there were martians on the moon, then we probably would have some evidence of their existence.
P2: We don't have any evidence of their existence.
C: There probably aren't martians on the moon.

Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 11:49:52 AM
At 2/26/2014 11:40:15 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

A is unknown.
A is false

Or

A is unknown
Whatsver unknown is true
A is true

P1: If there were martians on the moon, then we probably would have some evidence of their existence.
You've wrapped the induction in "probability" to differentiate it. Am I right?
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 11:58:31 AM
At 2/26/2014 11:49:52 AM, Dazz wrote:

A is unknown.
A is false

Or

A is unknown
Whatsver unknown is true
A is true

Yeah, usually inductive arguments have the same structure as deductive ones, but there's a word in there like "probably" or "most of these" etc.

Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 12:06:00 PM
At 2/26/2014 11:58:31 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

A is unknown.
A is false

Or

A is unknown
Whatsver unknown is true
A is true

Yeah, usually inductive arguments have the same structure as deductive ones, but there's a word in there like "probably" or "most of these" etc.

Sorry but I'm confused, wanna make you too lol

What is it then?

P1: If there aren't martians on the moon, then we probably would have some evidence of their non-existence.
P2: We don't have any evidence of their non-existence.
C: There probably are martians on the moon.

And these two (yours and mine) can't be true at same time. Right?
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 1:16:49 PM
At 2/26/2014 12:06:00 PM, Dazz wrote:
At 2/26/2014 11:58:31 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

A is unknown.
A is false

Or

A is unknown
Whatsver unknown is true
A is true

Sorry but I'm confused, wanna make you too lol

What is it then?

P1: If there aren't martians on the moon, then we probably would have some evidence of their non-existence.
P2: We don't have any evidence of their non-existence.
C: There probably are martians on the moon.

And these two (yours and mine) can't be true at same time. Right?

Well I'd disagree with the truth of those premises. But you're right, it's tricky.