Jump to topic:

What is your purpose?

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 2:31:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Proverbs 16:4 "The Lord has made everything for its own purpose, even the wicked for the day of evil."

That's my purpose.

Or maybe it's this one:

Micah 6:8 "And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 2:33:39 PM
2 hav $w4g
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 2:37:39 PM
To Glorify God and enjoy Him forever!
(Psalm 115:1 & Psalm 37:4)
(Catechism Q.1)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 3:14:07 PM
Why must we assume that we have a purpose?

I'm willing, since this is the philosophy forum, to present a hypothesis: causal determinism is an accurate account of the nature of thought -- though, frankly, "thought" is merely an arbitrary construct in this case -- and, because the universe has no purpose, neither do we.

Is that nihilistic enough?
SolarSista
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 4:07:01 PM
To be able to provide a better life for others around me and humanity in general. That is my main purpose. There is a quote I like to use from Walt Whitman:

"That you are here--that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse."

I want to contribute that verse. :3
"Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people." - Carl Sagan
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 4:08:22 PM
Well, according to the current leadership of this nation, my only purpose is to go strait to hell.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 4:09:41 PM
To seek the Holy grail.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
wanderingbear
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 1:38:00 AM
At 2/26/2014 4:07:01 PM, SolarSista wrote:
To be able to provide a better life for others around me and humanity in general. That is my main purpose. There is a quote I like to use from Walt Whitman:

"That you are here--that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse."

I want to contribute that verse. :3

I like that!
wanderingbear
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 1:43:29 AM
At 2/26/2014 3:14:07 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
Why must we assume that we have a purpose?

I'm willing, since this is the philosophy forum, to present a hypothesis: causal determinism is an accurate account of the nature of thought -- though, frankly, "thought" is merely an arbitrary construct in this case -- and, because the universe has no purpose, neither do we.

Is that nihilistic enough?

Good point. Seinfeld was based on that very premise.

Although I would say having a purpose does help. It can give you reasons to push on when things get tough and so can help you get to where you want to be.

Nietzsche said "he who has a why can bear any how".

So basically, if you know why your doing something you can deal with anything that comes your way.

To say we have 'no' purpose is certainly nihilistic.