Total Posts:145|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is Time?

Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 1:14:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'll accept answers until there are a sufficient amount for me to show you're all wrong.
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 5:22:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 1:14:56 AM, Vernich wrote:
I'll accept answers until there are a sufficient amount for me to show you're all wrong.

So you are saying "I'm right and everyone else is wrong, no matter what they say or think"

Is this thread supposed to be about "time" or "egomania"?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 12:40:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 1:14:56 AM, Vernich wrote:
I'll accept answers until there are a sufficient amount for me to show you're all wrong.

Time is just an illusion, a construct of the mind.

There is no clock out there in the world, keeping time.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 12:45:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The prolific Greek philosopher Anon said, ""Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once".
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 12:48:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 12:45:41 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
The prolific Greek philosopher Anon said, ""Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once".

That must pre-date, Einstein's quote, which is almost exactly the same, without including God in the quote.

Do you have a source?
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 1:08:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Time is an emergent illusion produced by quantum entanglement [https://medium.com...][http://www.newscientist.com...], which causes perceptions of passage that play no fundamental role in reality, which we already know is true due to the Wheeler-DeWitt equation.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 1:14:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 12:48:25 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/28/2014 12:45:41 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
The prolific Greek philosopher Anon said, ""Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once".


That must pre-date, Einstein's quote, which is almost exactly the same, without including God in the quote.


Do you have a source?

It was the Greek philosopher Anonymous.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 1:14:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 1:14:03 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 2/28/2014 12:48:25 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/28/2014 12:45:41 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
The prolific Greek philosopher Anon said, ""Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once".


That must pre-date, Einstein's quote, which is almost exactly the same, without including God in the quote.


Do you have a source?

It was the Greek philosopher Anonymous.

I've heard of him!
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 1:16:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 1:14:03 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 2/28/2014 12:48:25 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/28/2014 12:45:41 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
The prolific Greek philosopher Anon said, ""Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once".


That must pre-date, Einstein's quote, which is almost exactly the same, without including God in the quote.


Do you have a source?

It was the Greek philosopher Anonymous.

I meant do you have a link to confirm the source.

And I am sure it is just Anon as Anonymous is not a name but used to descried somebody who withholds their name.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 1:18:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 1:16:08 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/28/2014 1:14:03 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 2/28/2014 12:48:25 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/28/2014 12:45:41 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
The prolific Greek philosopher Anon said, ""Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once".


That must pre-date, Einstein's quote, which is almost exactly the same, without including God in the quote.


Do you have a source?

It was the Greek philosopher Anonymous.


I meant do you have a link to confirm the source.

And I am sure it is just Anon as Anonymous is not a name but used to descried somebody who withholds their name.

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
...................................,
Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 3:07:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 1:18:14 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 2/28/2014 1:16:08 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/28/2014 1:14:03 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 2/28/2014 12:48:25 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/28/2014 12:45:41 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
The prolific Greek philosopher Anon said, ""Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once".


That must pre-date, Einstein's quote, which is almost exactly the same, without including God in the quote.


Do you have a source?

It was the Greek philosopher Anonymous.


I meant do you have a link to confirm the source.

And I am sure it is just Anon as Anonymous is not a name but used to descried somebody who withholds their name.



............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
...................................,

haha
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 3:15:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 5:22:00 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 2/28/2014 1:14:56 AM, Vernich wrote:
I'll accept answers until there are a sufficient amount for me to show you're all wrong.

So you are saying "I'm right and everyone else is wrong, no matter what they say or think"

Is this thread supposed to be about "time" or "egomania"?

Watch.
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 3:15:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 8:37:57 AM, Bannanawamajama wrote:
A distance between two moments

What's a moment?
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 3:16:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 12:40:47 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 2/28/2014 1:14:56 AM, Vernich wrote:
I'll accept answers until there are a sufficient amount for me to show you're all wrong.

Time is just an illusion, a construct of the mind.

Why think so? ... Can't the same be said of space, matter and energy?
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 3:17:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 12:45:41 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
The prolific Greek philosopher Anon said, ""Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once".

Never gets old I guess.
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 3:18:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 8:39:07 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Change

What's change?
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 3:24:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 1:08:27 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Time is an emergent illusion produced by quantum entanglement [https://medium.com...][http://www.newscientist.com...], which causes perceptions of passage that play no fundamental role in reality, which we already know is true due to the Wheeler-DeWitt equation.

A difference without a difference, the the Wheeler-DeWitt equation gives a possible solution to one vehicle in one theory of the standard formalism, it doesn't ultimately dictate that time is illusory.
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 4:04:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 3:18:04 PM, Vernich wrote:
At 2/28/2014 8:39:07 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Change

What's change?

the act or instance of making or becoming different.
Nolite Timere
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 4:37:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Time is when you are late for work and number of hours worked. Other than that, it's relative and can be discussed until the cows come home.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 6:27:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 3:24:14 PM, Vernich wrote:
At 2/28/2014 1:08:27 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Time is an emergent illusion produced by quantum entanglement [https://medium.com...][http://www.newscientist.com...], which causes perceptions of passage that play no fundamental role in reality, which we already know is true due to the Wheeler-DeWitt equation.

A difference without a difference, the the Wheeler-DeWitt equation gives a possible solution to one vehicle in one theory of the standard formalism, it doesn't ultimately dictate that time is illusory.

No, an apparent difference, without an actual one. Also, the Wheeler-DeWitt equation is not just a "possible" solution, but I would argue, it is the best one.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 6:31:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Also, the Wheeler-DeWitt equation clearly describes a timeless reality. The article I posted even said that the experiment in which it was shown that time is emergent from entanglement supports the predictions of the Wheeler-DeWitt equation. That fundamentally, the universe is timeless. It is not necessarily true, but not much in science is. I just think it is the best way to view reality.
Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 9:14:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 6:31:58 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Also, the Wheeler-DeWitt equation clearly describes a timeless reality. The article I posted even said that the experiment in which it was shown that time is emergent from entanglement supports the predictions of the Wheeler-DeWitt equation. That fundamentally, the universe is timeless. It is not necessarily true, but not much in science is. I just think it is the best way to view reality.

This is all too confused, everything physical is quantum entangled given the early plank era of the big bang when time began to exist and matter with it.

I'm not saying a timeless state is impossible.

What's being argued is that an infinite amount of time is impossible, whether or not time emerges from the timeless state is just to assume what I'm trying to show.
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 9:14:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 6:27:15 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 2/28/2014 3:24:14 PM, Vernich wrote:
At 2/28/2014 1:08:27 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Time is an emergent illusion produced by quantum entanglement [https://medium.com...][http://www.newscientist.com...], which causes perceptions of passage that play no fundamental role in reality, which we already know is true due to the Wheeler-DeWitt equation.

A difference without a difference, the the Wheeler-DeWitt equation gives a possible solution to one vehicle in one theory of the standard formalism, it doesn't ultimately dictate that time is illusory.

No, an apparent difference, without an actual one. Also, the Wheeler-DeWitt equation is not just a "possible" solution, but I would argue, it is the best one.

Sounds confused, why think so?
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
Vernich
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 9:14:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 4:04:32 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 2/28/2014 3:18:04 PM, Vernich wrote:
At 2/28/2014 8:39:07 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Change

What's change?


the act or instance of making or becoming different.

All assuming what it's attempting to define. Note the pattern?
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 9:23:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 9:14:14 PM, Vernich wrote:
At 2/28/2014 4:04:32 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 2/28/2014 3:18:04 PM, Vernich wrote:
At 2/28/2014 8:39:07 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Change

What's change?


the act or instance of making or becoming different.

All assuming what it's attempting to define. Note the pattern?

No

Without change there is not time
Nolite Timere
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,082
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 9:25:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 1:14:56 AM, Vernich wrote:
I'll accept answers until there are a sufficient amount for me to show you're all wrong.

I'm sorry to say but you're coming off as a self-righteous know it all d!ck... :P
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 9:27:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 1:14:56 AM, Vernich wrote:
I'll accept answers until there are a sufficient amount for me to show you're all wrong.

You have a long sheet of paper, you take the pencil to draw just a simple line, you stop the line and there is time.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,082
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 9:30:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/28/2014 1:14:56 AM, Vernich wrote:
I'll accept answers until there are a sufficient amount for me to show you're all wrong.

http://www.dhspriory.org...
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."