Jump to topic:

What is Induction?

Vernich
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 12:47:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'll wait until a sufficient amount of responses pile up until I show why they're all wrong.
Thou sayeth becoming is eternal, feel then my scythe and see.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 12:52:11 AM
Something that Hume and Popper liked to talk about.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 4:27:02 AM
At 3/1/2014 12:47:34 AM, Vernich wrote:
I'll wait until a sufficient amount of responses pile up until I show why they're all wrong.

Being induced
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 4:53:55 AM
It can tell you this much, it really sucks.

It's all very confusing, but afterward you go to Viet Nam to be gut shot.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Ipsofacto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2014 8:11:20 AM
Induction? If one is a good Humeian (not a typo- although it certainly* looks like one)- then we are talking about "habits of mind".

If you are speaking of those who labor in the sciences- then we are talikng about a tool of their trade.

If, instead, we are talikng about your average "Joe" - no offense to all the Joes out there then we are making mention of an essential feature of their conceptual apparatus.

If, however, we are speaking in term of philosophic rigor, and the forum's title begs the obvious question- then we are speaking about an unjustified philosophic conceit for knowledge. Irrespective of it's obvious practical utility.

* the use of "certainly" in the same sentence of "Hume" - made me chuckle.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 8:23:07 AM
What is Induction? The process by which high frequency waves are used to heat metal
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 12:42:05 PM
Induction is when you extrapolate from particular examples to general principles.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Fox-McCloud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 12:56:57 PM
At 3/2/2014 12:42:05 PM, philochristos wrote:
Induction is when you extrapolate from particular examples to general principles.

This
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
Vernich
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 1:06:49 PM
At 3/2/2014 12:42:05 PM, philochristos wrote:

NOW we're getting somewhere ... and this is the structure that's the problem, right?
Vernich
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 1:06:51 PM
At 3/1/2014 4:53:55 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
It can tell you this much, it really sucks.

It's all very confusing, but afterward you go to Viet Nam to be gut shot.

Full metal jacket?
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 4:59:25 PM

Induction is a reasoning process where you draw in your conclusion more than the premises contain. Philochristos says it's reasoning from particulars to universals. I agree that this is typically how it plays out, but this isn't how you identify inductive reasoning.

Inductive arguments aren't "sound" they're "cogent." The conclusion doesn't follow "with necessity" it just gives us good reason to believe something is true.

Also, why the "until I show why they're all wrong"? It sounds like your ego is bigger than the wad of redman chewing tobacco I have in my mouth....
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 5:01:27 PM
But I'd like to add that inductive arguments are typically structured like deductive ones.

Most babies cry at some time
My son is a baby
.'. My son will cry at some time
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 5:50:20 PM
At 3/2/2014 5:01:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
But I'd like to add that inductive arguments are typically structured like deductive ones.

Most babies cry at some time
My son is a baby
.'. My son will cry at some time

I wonder how the resolution of contradicting arguments comes about.

Let's take the extension:

1. Most crying babies have a voice box
2. My baby son has no voicebox
C. My son therefore will not cry at some time

I'm not sure what the philosophical resolution of this is, even though the answer is obvious.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
Vernich
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2014 7:15:56 PM
At 3/2/2014 4:59:25 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Induction is a reasoning process where you draw in your conclusion more than the premises contain. Philochristos says it's reasoning from particulars to universals. I agree that this is typically how it plays out, but this isn't how you identify inductive reasoning.

Inductive arguments aren't "sound" they're "cogent." The conclusion doesn't follow "with necessity" it just gives us good reason to believe something is true.

Also, why the "until I show why they're all wrong"? It sounds like your ego is bigger than the wad of redman chewing tobacco I have in my mouth....

And the problem touches on the proper warrant for a good inductive argument. Maybe this is the thread everyone should start tugging on?

And the the ego is, comparatively, a good match :--)