Jump to topic:

What is Justice?

hatim5253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 11:26:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is justice just defined by legal action done by the government or is there more to it? Is there an absolute justice people can abide by or is it just relative? Is justice just defined by we think is right for us?
hatim sabir
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 12:15:13 AM
Inherent in the notion of Justice is fairness. Unfair actions are always "unjust." I would even go so far as to say that justice is simply a more legalistic word that has no functional or definitional distinction from fairness.

The question than is "what is fair." Most people have an intuitive sense of fairness, but relying just on that can lead to moral subjectivism, which I find exceedingly irksome. We cannot make moral or ethical judgments without having some applicable moral knowledge that requires some universal principles we can get behind.

I think Aristotle summed it up nicely by indicating that justice was giving each their due. It is unfair to deprive us of what is owed to us, thus it is unjust. Again, we can get into questions like "what are people due" but then we begin to ask a chain of unending questions that get nowhere, so I'll call my post here for right now, since I haven't the time to add more.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2014 7:33:26 PM
There is a "legal system" and there is a "justice system." They are two different things. In a justice system all of the evidence is weighed by a judge or jury and a guilty or not guilty verdict is rendered.

In a legal system all of the evidence is subject to being admissible before it is viewed by a jury or considered by a judge. What ever evidence that remains after this process is weighed and a guilty or not guilty verdict is rendered.

The United States has a legal system and not a justice system. The word justice system is used incorrectly in the United States. The Justice Department is not a Justice department. It is the Legal Department. They review evidence and make decisions on whether evidence is admissible in a trail or not by making legal arguments for and against admission. They then weigh what evidence is left and make a determination as to whether there is enough evidence to warrant an indictment.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Evan_Shad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2014 10:33:31 PM
Justice is a cardinal Virtue which consists of four subVirtues.

Retribution: punish unrepentant evil.
Compensation: rewarding Virtue.
Equity: judge all by the same Standard.
Honor: respect the Privation of Property; refrain from lying except in the case of a sufficient good result; etc. Basically miscellaneous.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2014 3:00:12 AM
At 3/6/2014 11:26:16 PM, hatim5253 wrote:
Is justice just defined by legal action done by the government or is there more to it? Is there an absolute justice people can abide by or is it just relative? Is justice just defined by we think is right for us?

The promotion of authentic justice in human society, as Plato realized 2500 years ago, is quite simply a matter of, in a mutually-supportive fashion, enabling every member of society to do full justice to his/her human potential, and to contribute that realized potential back to the community that fostered it. In my view what such an arguably enlightened concept of justice requires in the case of social justice is an equitable distribution of economic resources, well-being, and empowerment so that everyone is in an optimal social position to actualize his/her personal best. And in the case of criminal justice, well, a human potential-oriented concept of justice would make for a rehabilitation-oriented, as opposed to a punishment-oriented, system. Well, at any rate, this is my understanding of justice, in a nutshell.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.