Jump to topic:

Idealism

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 1:49:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
James Bond and Moneypenny are in pursuit of some villain or other, Moneypenny in the driving seat. She clips the side-view mirror, taking it off, and Bond makes a quip. She then clips the other side-view mirror, certainly on purpose this time, in defiance. However, we see this play on her mind, she has certain other scratches and bangs, culminating in her shooting Bond, all down to belief, the jigsaw puzzle has been pieced together.

Of course none of that is to suggest anything incredibly extraordinary about the power of belief, but it is a start. I have always found, personally, that people will slot together in the way that is easiest or most fluid for them. It's the self-fulfilling prophecy - as though we're constantly defining each other, or always pressing into each other, the strongest force of belief, if a potential for such belief is also present in others, taking precedent and writing itself as the true belief between whatever number of people.

The thing is, this power of belief is the main drive in humanity, it seems to me to define every instant of our existence. I've written before of this, as regards victim blaming and numerous other similar topics, and even of personal death - in fact, I'm not at all sure that we're not all committing suicide in incredibly subtle ways. People's deaths always seem to fit in so well with their lives, in my experience. Even human death by animal seems to follow this pattern. And at that you have to wonder: Just what exactly are we capable of? Is the devil but doubt?

I could pore through cases, highlighting this phenomenon in every instance as I go, but I'll let you guys take it from here. It's certainly an absolutely fascinating, almost magical phenomenon. If any of you are to spot it once, I'm sure you'll see it every time after that, too, as I do. Maybe death is but an illusion, only real because we believe it's real.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 1:57:58 AM
It's nothing short of amazing how many times I have surrendered at 20 in League of Legends after typing "surrender at 20" into the chat at the start, lol.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 7:53:54 PM
The Fool: Idealism, is not the same as ideology.
Idealism, is the view that the Universe consists of mind as opposed to matter. An idealist is somebody who holds this to be true. (Although it can also be somebody who thinks positively.) Or perfectionist.

An Ideology, is a fundamentalist belief system...

"I" use the term "Ideologist" any member of some faith-based ideological regimes who knowingly grounds their views and reasoning via baseless assertions, and self-created truths, to themselves and for themselves.

Especially those, who make moral this way claims and expect other people, other than themselves, to take them seriously.

A short list of some examples are, Christianity, Islam, Scientology, Mormonism, Subjectivists, Ku Klux Klan, Feminist, or Black Panthers.. Just to name a few.

Or anybody else walking around angrily talking about "Power relations", with fist symbolism. Like they are ready to punch somebody in the face, for challenging their regime.
<(89)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 8:06:52 PM
At 3/12/2014 7:53:54 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: Idealism, is not the same as ideology.
Idealism, is the view that the Universe consists of mind as opposed to matter. An idealist is somebody who holds this to be true. (Although it can also be somebody who thinks positively.) Or perfectionist.

An Ideology, is a fundamentalist belief system...

*: "I" use the term "Ideologist" to refer to any member of some faith-based ideological regimes who knowingly grounds their views and reasoning via baseless assertions, and self-created truths, to themselves and for themselves.

*Especially those, who make moral claims this way and expect other people, other than themselves, to take them seriously.

A short list of some examples are, Christianity, Islam, Scientology, Mormonism, Subjectivists, Ku Klux Klan, Feminist, or Black Panthers.. Just to name a few.

Or anybody else walking around angrily talking about "Power relations", with fist symbolism. Like they are ready to punch somebody in the face, for challenging their regime.
<(89)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL