Jump to topic:

The Importance of Rituals

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 12:17:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Life is about rituals.

At least that's one way of thinking about it. And, as I've come to find, an effective way.

No matter who you are, you have rituals. They are necessary for day to day practical chores as well as deeply embedded in our psyche. Ritualization is an evolutionary phenomena of human psychology that developed because rituals are so essential to survival. So we find that humans have a basic need to fulfill their lives through it. This need drives our ideals, our art and our recreation. It's the reason religion exists. It's the reason you get bored.

When attempting to identify who we are as human beings, it is important to take a look at how we are spending our time and what rituals we have chosen to devote ourselves to.

When pursuing happiness, it is important to sort out our rituals and ask ourselves: What rituals are really worth my time? What rituals do I enjoy? What rituals make it more possible for me to enjoy other rituals? What is my appropriate balance between time dedicated to rituals and time not?

Focusing on this idea that day-to-day human life is composed from a series of deliberate rituals, creates a clever way of understanding and taking control of your life.

Everyone has a different balance of ritual that suits them. Are you bored? Spend the time on one of your rituals. If you complete all your rituals that day and find that you're still bored; make more. Life too hectic? Cut some rituals out. Ideally, you should find a balance in this respect and also find a balance between how much you enjoy your rituals and how much they benefit you. Choose the right ones for you.

A list of common rituals include:
Working out
Doing drugs
Watching a movie
Attending a social event
Taking care of a pet
Reading a book
Religious rituals
Brushing your teeth
And many more.

You are what you do repeatedly. Your rituals define you.

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 1:26:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Interesting post, and I agree. Something I've been contemplating recently is a sleepless creature [sleep, arguably, being the mother of such ordered ritual] and what it would be like. I can't imagine anything but insanity, to be honest. Our rituals are to make humanity of infinity; they are, themselves, sleep/unconsciousness; and there's an aesthetic harmony there, isn't there? Indeed, rituals define us; they are what we are.

And then all rituals pertain either to power, pain or love. I try to tend towards love in all endeavours, but I am human.