Jump to topic:

The Great Sorting Out

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 8:05:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm currently reading The World Is Flat, and I'm not really sure what he means by "the great sorting out". Could someone explain it?
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Ipsofacto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 8:21:57 PM
At 3/13/2014 8:05:56 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
I'm currently reading The World Is Flat, and I'm not really sure what he means by "the great sorting out". Could someone explain it?

Thomas Friedman's take on globalization, right?

Thomas' book was written pre-Lehman, so it really needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Friedman is an unabashed believer in the power of free-markets. A veritable apostle of commerce.

His book has undergone a rather harsh reception, of late- given the growing income disparity in the OECD (Western Countries).

The "great sorting out" probably refers to either 1. Greater economic specialization based on increased trade or 2. A distancing of those who embrace free trade (and the presumed benefits of it) from those who oppose free trade.

To be clear, you might want to post the context where you encountered the term.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 8:29:08 PM
At 3/13/2014 8:21:57 PM, Ipsofacto wrote:
At 3/13/2014 8:05:56 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:

Thomas Friedman's take on globalization, right?

Thomas' book was written pre-Lehman, so it really needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Friedman is an unabashed believer in the power of free-markets. A veritable apostle of commerce.

His book has undergone a rather harsh reception, of late- given the growing income disparity in the OECD (Western Countries).

The "great sorting out" probably refers to either 1. Greater economic specialization based on increased trade or 2. A distancing of those who embrace free trade (and the presumed benefits of it) from those who oppose free trade.

To be clear, you might want to post the context where you encountered the term.

That second one is about right. He uses the term constantly in the fourth chapter and that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...