Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Morality in a Nutshell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2014 1:53:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have refined my ethical principles and I am prepared to field any hypothetical example to test them. I believe these five to be the most comprehensive and succinct ethical standards in existence, and the best basis to make any moral judgment or decision.
1) Pride: Self-superiority/preferment; vanity. Opposite: Humility
2) Lust: Craving (i.e., wealth, power, sex, drugs, gluttony). Opposite: Temperance (Moderation)
3) Wrath: Desire to hurt others; anger. Opposite: Fortitude (Patience)
4) Envy: Sorrow for the successes of others. Opposite: Justice (Kindness)
5) Sloth: Failure to utilize one's talents and gifts; hopelessness; inaction. Opposite: Diligence (contrast with Ambition)
Kant's Categorical Imperative is a good tool to test these with and they stand up quite well.