Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 10:18:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/24/2014 9:39:58 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Why do we debate? What is it's purpose?

Debating is a search for the truth. Each side puts forth their best arguments and attempts to pick apart the other side's argument.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 10:36:22 PM
In the pursuit of truth, people will develop their own prejudices, and erect barriers around their minds.

Debate is the art of using communication to effectively break down the walls of prejudice.

The debater acknowledges that the beauty of the art comes from the process, not from the product. What we say is based on the works of others: Philosophers, Scientists, Theologians, etc. HOW we say it, is what we contribute as debaters.

No, we don't debate to seek the truth. We debate to find the best way to present it when it is found by others.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 11:02:57 PM

We debate to persuade others, to deepen and sharpen our understanding of our own thoughts, to learn from others and because argumentation can be fun.
Tsar of DDO
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 8:31:56 AM

This is why:

http://www.debate.org...
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 8:42:28 AM
It is, plain and simply, manipulation - an attempt at imposition upon the physical by mental faculty; or, in the case people racking up debate numbers online, a fostering that ability.

Kleptin makes himself out as primarily some champion of truth, but this is not the case. All is with regards to the satiation of feelings. There is no truth to feelings; they just are. Feelings may, however, lead you to truth.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 8:43:33 AM

I debate primarily for entertainment.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 7:07:59 PM

Why do we debate is a different question than what the purpose of debate is.

If A is regularly the efficient cause of B, then B is the final cause of A.

Debate is essentially two opposing views both trying to convince each other. Either one person is correct, or the other is correct. So the purpose of debate is to show what the truth is, and to convince someone else of this.

However, this doesn't mean that's the reason we debate. I debate because I like it.

It's like when you have sex... you're probably doing it because you like having sex, but the purpose of sex is to make babies, lol.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 7:08:34 PM
At 3/25/2014 8:31:56 AM, Sswdwm wrote:

This is why:

Right. We debate to get on the homepage of DDO ;) hehe
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 7:11:59 PM
At 3/25/2014 7:08:34 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 3/25/2014 8:31:56 AM, Sswdwm wrote:

This is why:

Right. We debate to get on the homepage of DDO ;) hehe

Nonono... Read kbub a argument's :-)
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
Mr_Man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 6:37:53 PM
I think that the purpose of debate is to influence another person's decisions. This can be done in various ways: logically (Logos method), emotionally (Pathos method), and authoritatively (Ethos method).

Each of these methods allow different audiences to be addressed. The Logos method allows for a logical sequence of thought to be recognized. The Pathos method allows for a personal connection with the desired audience. The Ethos method allows for the audience to recognize the speaker as a more important and respectable entity.

By using these methods correctly, along with subcategories of each method, one can successfully influence another person's decisions.
adinawaitman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 9:58:50 PM
Ignorance isn"t bliss, as Kenrick Lamar says in his "99 hit, rather it"s actually a utopian idea. Not knowing something may make one happier initially, but this so called happiness is only temporary. One simply cannot live life freely and truly without questioning anything, or maintaining a so called "innocence". The best form of questioning is debating, and one does so in order to increase one"s own awareness.

Debating can be beneficial in a variety of ways. To begin with, debating connects all different types of people from all different types of places, on the premisses of specific issues. Such behavior can encourage a sense of unity amongst the masses. Similarly, debating allows one to clearly see both the pro and the con approach to an argument. In adequately addressing both sides of a topic, understanding of the topic itself is increased.

Debating can appeal to the masses in a variety of diverse ways. Firstly, it can even become a hobby. Participating in "forums" and discussions can even be addicting to some. Secondly, it seems almost inscribed in us as humans, and in myself as a teenager, that natural tendencies to argue arise. These tendencies can be appeased by means of debate. Additionally, extending to apply to such a broad scheme of topics, debating can appeal to all different ages. Those young and old alike can find interest in debating.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 10:19:52 PM
The purpose and the conclusion are radically different.

Quite often, debates limit themselves in such a way that the "pursuit of truth" cannot be accomplished, and instead barriers are erected in a way that can limit one or both parties from having a meaningful debate.

To me, debate has instead been about resolving matters. Regardless of whether they were resolved correctly, the debates nevertheless accomplish their purpose.
tbhidc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 10:32:05 PM
At 5/21/2014 10:19:52 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Quite often, debates limit themselves in such a way that the "pursuit of truth" cannot be accomplished, and instead barriers are erected in a way that can limit one or both parties from having a meaningful debate.

To me, debate has instead been about resolving matters. Regardless of whether they were resolved correctly, the debates nevertheless accomplish their purpose.

No. The purpose of duh bait is to catch the fish.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 10:34:14 PM
At 5/21/2014 10:32:05 PM, tbhidc wrote:

I thought you were supposed to eat it ... whoops.
tbhidc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 10:52:55 PM
At 5/21/2014 10:34:14 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/21/2014 10:32:05 PM, tbhidc wrote:

I thought you were supposed to eat it ... whoops.

just as long as its not already on the hook, captain hook ;-)