Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Diversity is the source of all conflict

bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 8:50:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I divide Conflicts of Diversity into two categories:
A. Conflict of Beliefs (Religious Wars, wars over political ideology)
B. Conflict of Status (Racial wars, wars against people of a different economic class)

Then, there's wars which overlap.
(Wars of people who have the status of being a member of a certain country and they also believe that their country/group is superior)

If you wish to prove me wrong, name one conflict that is not caused by diversity.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 9:07:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/25/2014 8:50:23 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
I divide Conflicts of Diversity into two categories:
A. Conflict of Beliefs (Religious Wars, wars over political ideology)
B. Conflict of Status (Racial wars, wars against people of a different economic class)

Then, there's wars which overlap.
(Wars of people who have the status of being a member of a certain country and they also believe that their country/group is superior)

If you wish to prove me wrong, name one conflict that is not caused by diversity.

Man vs self, one of the greatest conflicts you can go through.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 9:24:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/25/2014 8:50:23 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
I divide Conflicts of Diversity into two categories:
A. Conflict of Beliefs (Religious Wars, wars over political ideology)
B. Conflict of Status (Racial wars, wars against people of a different economic class)

Then, there's wars which overlap.
(Wars of people who have the status of being a member of a certain country and they also believe that their country/group is superior)

If you wish to prove me wrong, name one conflict that is not caused by diversity.

You're using diversity as a proxy for differences or division. When appropriately clarified, your argument becomes a rather obvious, almost tautological statement: conflicting backgrounds and ideas cause conflict. Moreover, if this is meant to imply that diversity ought to be avoided, while you could make a decent ethical argument for that ideal, it's not practical or possible. Technology is the engine of globalization; unless we regress, we're going to have to learn to live with each other.

And lastly, at the risk of making broad generalizations, conflict is the essence of our humanity - that we are all intellectually distinct and offer to society novelties of thought and culture - options that bring us closer to finding what is most true and what is most proper. Agreement has no such competitive mechanism. So while diversity is the source of conflict, that conflict is the source of progress.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 5:37:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/25/2014:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/25/2014 8:50:23 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
I divide Conflicts of Diversity into two categories:
A. Conflict of Beliefs (Religious Wars, wars over political ideology)
B. Conflict of Status (Racial wars, wars against people of a different economic class)

Then, there's wars which overlap.
(Wars of people who have the status of being a member of a certain country and they also believe that their country/group is superior)

If you wish to prove me wrong, name one conflict that is not caused by diversity.

Man vs self, one of the greatest conflicts you can go through.

You could technically argue that any inner conflict is caused by an incongruency in the individual's value system and thus diversity is still the cause for conflict, just a diversity within the self rather than something externalised.

To the OP: how would you define 'diversity'? What are the parameters?
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 6:18:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/25/2014 8:50:23 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
I divide Conflicts of Diversity into two categories:
A. Conflict of Beliefs (Religious Wars, wars over political ideology)
B. Conflict of Status (Racial wars, wars against people of a different economic class)

Then, there's wars which overlap.
(Wars of people who have the status of being a member of a certain country and they also believe that their country/group is superior)

If you wish to prove me wrong, name one conflict that is not caused by diversity.

I think your thesis is right, but I think your dichotomy is false.

"Diversity" is simply resultant from each of us having a differing concept of "self-interest" (since our "selves" are different from each other).

There are only wars that seek to resolve self-interest between multiple parties.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 1:12:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/26/2014 5:37:45 AM, InvictusManeo wrote:
At 3/25/2014:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/25/2014 8:50:23 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
I divide Conflicts of Diversity into two categories:
A. Conflict of Beliefs (Religious Wars, wars over political ideology)
B. Conflict of Status (Racial wars, wars against people of a different economic class)

Then, there's wars which overlap.
(Wars of people who have the status of being a member of a certain country and they also believe that their country/group is superior)

If you wish to prove me wrong, name one conflict that is not caused by diversity.

Man vs self, one of the greatest conflicts you can go through.

You could technically argue that any inner conflict is caused by an incongruency in the individual's value system and thus diversity is still the cause for conflict, just a diversity within the self rather than something externalised.

To the OP: how would you define 'diversity'? What are the parameters?

Diversity is different views on religion and politics, allegience to different nations or organizations or groups, different races, different genders, etc.

One might argue that we should simply learn to tolerate different viewpoints, but when you do this, ironically you're still suppressing diversity by making everyone agree on the same thing: the belief in tolerance.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 1:37:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/25/2014 8:50:23 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
I divide Conflicts of Diversity into two categories:
A. Conflict of Beliefs (Religious Wars, wars over political ideology)
B. Conflict of Status (Racial wars, wars against people of a different economic class)

Then, there's wars which overlap.
(Wars of people who have the status of being a member of a certain country and they also believe that their country/group is superior)

If you wish to prove me wrong, name one conflict that is not caused by diversity.

Bubba, like others who've already commented, I agree with what you're saying. However, diversity is a fact of life - we cannot get away from it.

Therefore we need to tolerate because it's a practical approach to a world filled with numerous, diverse people.

It's insane to advocate a view in which we completely eliminate others different from ourselves because such wars would never end and there's no guarantee that my group would be the final victor. With today's reality of mutually-assured destruction via weapons of mass destruction, such an approach becomes even less desirable! This is why even in wars where this has been attempted, there has frequently been strange, desperate alliances between groups that don't seem to have anything in common (except the desire to win).

In fact, I would argue, because of the complex, political balance on our planet that war is only feasible when one group intentionally seeks out to eliminate another group without just cause and in a brutal, heinous way that violates human rights.

It's simply practical for us to take a diplomatic view to the world and try to get alone!
InvictusManeo
Posts: 384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 5:55:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Juan (and others who subscribe to similar views): do you think it is more nonsensical to want to separate people to achieve homogeneity, or to expect all people to want to get along?
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 6:05:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/26/2014 5:55:13 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
Juan (and others who subscribe to similar views): do you think it is more nonsensical to want to separate people to achieve homogeneity, or to expect all people to want to get along?

I think it's more sensible to pass laws that provide people with freedom of speech and expression but that also require them to act civilized and avoid violence. That is why civilization establishes laws in the first place - to tell people that if they engage in certain vicious, destructive behavior there will be consequences!

I think it's sensible to expect people to obey the rule of law . . . and if they shouldn't, there will be penalties, anything from a monetary fine to to many years of incarceration.
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 6:07:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There exist places for people who go out of their way to search for trouble . . . we call them "prisons".