I am a P-zombie

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 12:12:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It's heartbreaking really.

"The possibility of zombies had collapsed into the reality of zombies. And not just zombies among us -- I, zombie! My philosophical reflection ceased as I faced the devastating personal consequences: The crushing burden, the desolate feeling of isolation from my fellow, I mean, my formerly fellow humans. The ironic part is that my shock and depression weren't real shock and depression. These human feelings were utterly lacking in me. Of course, being a regular zombie, I reported these missing feelings with exactly the hand-wringing and sobs you'd expect from a regular human. The worst of it was that all my relations to others have been reduced to a sham. Any exchange of empathy or understanding I may have had with anyone, I suddenly realized was a profound miscommunication, total misunderstanding. You couldn't share my pain, because I didn't have any. Appearances notwithstanding, I discovered that I was just not a sensitive guy." [1]

[1]http://www.trincoll.edu...
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 3:56:12 PM
I find being a philosophical zombie to be liberating. It means I've never actually wronged anybody, and I've never been wronged. I can't be blamed for anything. I have no dread or anxiety. I simply exhibit physiological responses to my environment in accordance to my programming. The best part of being a philosophical zombie is seeing how everybody is fooled into thinking there's a 'me' in here interacting with them.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 1:49:36 PM
I contend that P-zombies wouldn't be aware they are P-zombies. They are defined by their lack of qualia. But, due to the nature of qualia, you could only know you didn't have them if you could somehow compare your perception of not having them with having them, which you can't.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 4:34:47 PM
At 3/27/2014 1:49:36 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I contend that P-zombies wouldn't be aware they are P-zombies.

That is true. That's another thing that makes me so happy about being P-zombie--the fact that I'm blissfully unaware of it.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 8:07:08 PM
At 3/27/2014 1:49:36 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
I contend that P-zombies wouldn't be aware they are P-zombies. They are defined by their lack of qualia. But, due to the nature of qualia, you could only know you didn't have them if you could somehow compare your perception of not having them with having them, which you can't.

Exactly! I'm not even aware of what I'm missing :D
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."