Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Books

zmikecuber
Posts: 4,638
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 10:42:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

Porn..............lots and lots of Porn.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 10:43:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/29/2014 10:42:03 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

Porn..............lots and lots of Porn.

........

If you have to read your porn, I'm not sure you're doing it right.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 10:43:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/29/2014 10:43:07 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 3/29/2014 10:42:03 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

Porn..............lots and lots of Porn.

........

If you have to read your porn, I'm not sure you're doing it right.

I like my porn to have context to it.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Skepsikyma
Posts: 9,351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 1:14:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Re-reading Seneca's 'Letters from a Stoic'.

Not sure what I want to move on to after that. I'm sort of hoping that the next A Song of Ice and Fire or The Kingkiller Chronicle book comes out soon.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it."
- Lord Dunsany -

"The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? "
- W. B. Yeats -

Virtutem videant intabescantque relicta
Juan_Pablo
Posts: 2,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 1:55:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Right now I'm reading Tomb Raider: The Lost Cult. I purchased it on amazon a few weeks ago after I briefly mentioned another Tomb Raider book in another thread. This is the only Tomb Raider book in the official series from Ballatine books I haven't got to reading, so I thought I'd finally give it a try. :)
Defro
Posts: 852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 2:57:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

Right now I'm rereading (for the 5th time) Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. It's one of the few nonfiction books I enjoy.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,753
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 3:43:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ambrose King, Chinese Society and Culture (the OUP edition with the awesome cover)

I'd like to read more Tang Junyi, but the thickness of the vast majority of his books are intimidating!
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Fox-McCloud
Posts: 158
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 4:13:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/30/2014 2:57:50 AM, Defro wrote:
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

Right now I'm rereading (for the 5th time) Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. It's one of the few nonfiction books I enjoy.

This looks interesting. Found a PDF online, so will be reading it soon.
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
Defro
Posts: 852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:24:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/30/2014 4:13:25 AM, Fox-McCloud wrote:
At 3/30/2014 2:57:50 AM, Defro wrote:
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

Right now I'm rereading (for the 5th time) Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. It's one of the few nonfiction books I enjoy.

This looks interesting. Found a PDF online, so will be reading it soon.

It's really good! I promise you won't be dissapointed.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:31:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

What's your favourite genre or type of book?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.
Deep down, we're all dumbassses who act like shittheads

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
philochristos
Posts: 2,974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:44:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm reading:

Jesus and the Eyewitnesses by Richard Bauckman

The End For Which God Created the World by Jonathan Edwards

and

Harry Potter and the Pie Maker by Sam Harper (or rather, I'm writing it)

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next because I have a whole bunch of unread books on my shelf.
"When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest." ~Proverbs 29:9

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:46:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

I read Hume's works and Nagel's Mind and Cosmos(a very interesting book), and I studied about Berkley's radical Idealism but never read his works. I'm currently reading Arif Ahmed's critical guide of Wittgenstein's "philosophic investigations" to then read Sheldrake's "Dogs that know when their owners are at home" which I'm guessing is a book about telepathy.
philochristos
Posts: 2,974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:55:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/30/2014 10:47:31 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Harry Potter and the Pie Maker by Sam Harper (or rather, I'm writing it)

Is it like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality?

I haven't read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, so I don't know.
"When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest." ~Proverbs 29:9

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
NiqashMotawadi3
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 11:57:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/30/2014 10:55:26 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 3/30/2014 10:47:31 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Harry Potter and the Pie Maker by Sam Harper (or rather, I'm writing it)

Is it like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality?

I haven't read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, so I don't know.

It basically uses Harry Potter's storyline to teach lessons on advanced rationality and AI. Is that your aim?
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,638
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 5:01:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/30/2014 9:31:59 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

What's your favourite genre or type of book?

Oh... well I don't read much other than philosophy and books for school, lol
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,638
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 5:02:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/30/2014 10:46:16 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

I read Hume's works and Nagel's Mind and Cosmos(a very interesting book), and I studied about Berkley's radical Idealism but never read his works. I'm currently reading Arif Ahmed's critical guide of Wittgenstein's "philosophic investigations" to then read Sheldrake's "Dogs that know when their owners are at home" which I'm guessing is a book about telepathy.

I was surprised how much Nagel was anti-materialist within the first two chapters... it kindof makes sense, because he's a neutral monist I'm guessing.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
philochristos
Posts: 2,974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 6:50:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/30/2014 11:57:21 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
At 3/30/2014 10:55:26 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 3/30/2014 10:47:31 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Harry Potter and the Pie Maker by Sam Harper (or rather, I'm writing it)

Is it like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality?

I haven't read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, so I don't know.

It basically uses Harry Potter's storyline to teach lessons on advanced rationality and AI. Is that your aim?

No, it's just a fan fiction I'm writing for the fun of it. I came up with a story line while in my car one day and decided to write it.
"When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest." ~Proverbs 29:9

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:57:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/30/2014 5:01:55 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 3/30/2014 9:31:59 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

What's your favourite genre or type of book?

Oh... well I don't read much other than philosophy and books for school, lol

lol
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.
Deep down, we're all dumbassses who act like shittheads

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Subutai
Posts: 4,189
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:01:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

I'm currently reading Homer's Odyssey. I'm going to read Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy afterword. And then maybe Virgil's Aeneid. I'm going to read a number of books on quantum mechanics and introductory philosophy over the summer when I can study whatever I want.
Lying on the hill, crawling over the windowsill into your living room, they stare out, glass-eyed aimless heads, bodies torn by vultures. You are the man whose hands are rank with the smell of death. - Peter Hammill, "The Emperor in His War Room"
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,638
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:14:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/30/2014 10:01:29 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

I'm currently reading Homer's Odyssey. I'm going to read Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy afterword. And then maybe Virgil's Aeneid. I'm going to read a number of books on quantum mechanics and introductory philosophy over the summer when I can study whatever I want.

OOoh that's awesome... :D I'd also recommend reading Cicero's Orations contra Catiline. I had to translate them a couple years ago, and I must admit, they're pretty fascinating, and not too long too. You could find them on google or something..
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:24:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
its called the cherub series.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Iredia
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:29:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

A bunch of 'For Dummies' books. on Physics, Genetics and Biochemistry. I think its time to take my reading of stories and philosophy and read on science topics.
"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness." - Max Planck
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:33:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
ahhh nobody takes threads seriously these days, stupid kids.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:33:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Indeed linkish I agree.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Linkish1O2
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 9:33:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Damnit!!!
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Subutai
Posts: 4,189
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 2:27:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/31/2014 8:14:00 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 3/30/2014 10:01:29 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

I'm currently reading Homer's Odyssey. I'm going to read Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy afterword. And then maybe Virgil's Aeneid. I'm going to read a number of books on quantum mechanics and introductory philosophy over the summer when I can study whatever I want.

OOoh that's awesome... :D I'd also recommend reading Cicero's Orations contra Catiline. I had to translate them a couple years ago, and I must admit, they're pretty fascinating, and not too long too. You could find them on google or something..

I've actually wanted to read that for a while. Rhetoric is undervalued in modern day society by people who don't use rhetoric well.
Lying on the hill, crawling over the windowsill into your living room, they stare out, glass-eyed aimless heads, bodies torn by vultures. You are the man whose hands are rank with the smell of death. - Peter Hammill, "The Emperor in His War Room"
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 2:37:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

Lots of essays lately - My most recent five were:

1) Harry Frankfurt, "Freedom of the Will and the Concept of a Person."
2) Christine Korsgaard, "Personal Identity and the Unity of Agency."
3) Philip Cushman, "Why the Self is Empty: Toward a Historically Situated Psychology."
4) Kenneth Baynes, "Self, Narrative and Self-Constitution: Revisiting Taylor's 'Self-Interpreting Animals'."
5) Hubert Dreyfus, "'What a Monster then is man': Pascal and Kierkegaard on Being a Contradictory Self and What to do About it."

I'm still finishing up #5 right now, after that I will most likely take a break from the heavy material and enjoy my new Kafka book that came in yesterday :)) I've got to finish up his main works before getting to his personal diary writings from 1910 - 1923.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator & Official Voting Group Czar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,638
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 3:02:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/31/2014 2:27:00 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/31/2014 8:14:00 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 3/30/2014 10:01:29 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/29/2014 9:08:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
Got back from the library with Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mind and Cosmos, and some book by Zeilinger.

Got my reading list cut out. ;)

What are you guys reading, or planning on reading?

I'm currently reading Homer's Odyssey. I'm going to read Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy afterword. And then maybe Virgil's Aeneid. I'm going to read a number of books on quantum mechanics and introductory philosophy over the summer when I can study whatever I want.

OOoh that's awesome... :D I'd also recommend reading Cicero's Orations contra Catiline. I had to translate them a couple years ago, and I must admit, they're pretty fascinating, and not too long too. You could find them on google or something..

I've actually wanted to read that for a while. Rhetoric is undervalued in modern day society by people who don't use rhetoric well.

He uses lots of latin words of contempt for him, which is cool if you know latin. He also says lots of times "I won't bother to mention the little known fact that you murdered your first wife" or whatever, lol. It's pretty funny actually :P

http://www.bartleby.com...
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."