Jump to topic:

what is morality?

vezdekhod12321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 9:57:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Since I am always hearing about how some things people do is immoral and wrong i would like to know who defines what morality is and why should we accept what others define it as, as out own definition. Should we not all have our own definition?
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 10:39:34 AM
At 4/1/2014 9:57:37 AM, vezdekhod12321 wrote:
Since I am always hearing about how some things people do is immoral and wrong i would like to know who defines what morality is

I do.

and why should we accept what others define it as, as out own definition. Should we not all have our own definition?

What would be the point of everyone having their own definition of something?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 11:08:04 AM
Since I am always hearing about how some things people do is immoral and wrong i would like to know who defines what morality is and why should we accept what others define it as, as out own definition. Should we not all have our own definition?

Morality is, by definition, the principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

Now, the main argument is if right and wrong/good and bad are objective or subjective.

No sources for objective morality have been confirmed, so there is no evidence for that.

People's actions are as if morality is subjective (is homosexuality good or bad? How about polygamy?).

Observations and logic point to a subjective morality.

So, what morality is is the principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior that an individual developed based on his/her own experiences.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Sojourner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 11:39:40 AM
There is, at least, one piece of evidence for objective morality. Even though one may believe that morality is subjective, they do not behave is if it were. When such a person is wronged, they may cry, "that's not fair", but what standard of fairness (morality) are they appealing to; their own?

No sources for objective morality have been confirmed in the NATURAL WORLD, but from a theistic world view a source can be found.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 11:43:04 AM
Kant's categorical imperative is a great objective standard for morality, but it's only a starting point - you have to flesh out exactly what it means yourself. Wiki it and let me know if you have any questions! I'd tell you my moral principles but I've done that so many times on DDO I think people are sick of hearing them LOL
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
TheWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 11:43:58 AM
At 4/1/2014 11:08:04 AM, SNP1 wrote:

Morality is, by definition, the principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

Now, the main argument is if right and wrong/good and bad are objective or subjective.

No sources for objective morality have been confirmed, so there is no evidence for that.

People's actions are as if morality is subjective (is homosexuality good or bad? How about polygamy?).

Observations and logic point to a subjective morality.

So, what morality is is the principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior that an individual developed based on his/her own experiences.
I agree with this definition. I would like to add one thing. I would say that morality is subjective interpersonally but objective personally. This means that you alone have a set way of thinking what is right and wrong. This may change but overall will not. Making your morality objective to you. Now when you add a group of people you will get different answers to different questions regarding right and wrong making it subjective.
https://docs.google.com...
Lead Enforcer of the DDO Revolutionary Party