Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

What's The Meaning Of Life?

savannahbhang
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What's The Purpose Of Living?
Why Do We Exist?
What's The Meaning Of Life?

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,283
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 12:26:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?
Why Do We Exist?
What's The Meaning Of Life?

To be a saint.
SNP1
Posts: 2,404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 12:47:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?

Biologically, to reproduce.

Why Do We Exist?

We exist because the situations for life to form existed, resulting in a single celled organism. through billions of years of evolution it finally produced humans. Then humans kept breeding until it eventually got to us.

What's The Meaning Of Life?

Life has no objective meaning outside of to reproduce, but we have evolved to a high enough intellect to give ourselves our own meaning of life.

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 8:06:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?
Why Do We Exist?
What's The Meaning Of Life?

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.

42
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Subutai
Posts: 3,246
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 9:19:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?

To propagate our genetic line.
Why Do We Exist?

Because abiogenesis created the first life forms, and overtime, through evolution, these early organisms merged and combined into more complex life forms, and sooner or later, humans came along.
What's The Meaning Of Life?

Life has no objective meaning. The meaning of life is entirely subjective based on who's asking.

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 9:36:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?
Why Do We Exist?
What's The Meaning Of Life?

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.

To take power, raid, and pillage. To take ultimate control and crush your enemies. To burn the flesh of the opposers and to anti freeze your closest friends. Die Mongrel......DIE
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 9:57:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?
Why Do We Exist?
What's The Meaning Of Life?

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.

To live a meaningful life
Nolite Timere
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 10:07:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?

To experience life.

Why Do We Exist?

To experience life.

What's The Meaning Of Life?

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.

I would need a different wording to answer this particular question.

As far as what "experiencing life" means, there's always going to be a certain basic level that we cannot breach to truly answer it. There's no better thought experiment then to picture the universe the other way; that is, the way it could have (?) been if nobody and nothing ever bothered to exist. Close your eyes and imagine that nothing ever came to be and never will. Even the blackness of empty space was never created.

For whatever reason, "nothingness" does not exist. Even in the emptiest, farthest reaches of the cosmos, the fabric of spacetime breathes and froths positive and negative energies, never ever being zero but always bouncing back from slightly negative to slightly positive values. The big bang is probably the coincidental "frothing" of countless positive (or negative, it makes little difference) units of energy all appearing at once, which is thought to happen once in every 10^(100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000) years (10^10^56 years).
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 10:09:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?
Why Do We Exist?
What's The Meaning Of Life?

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.

If you're talking on a philosophical level (which I presume based on the forum of which you have this in) then there is no inherent meaning in life or existence. There is only the meaning of which you give yourself and hold in other living things.

In other words, what is the meaning of life? It is whatever meaning you give it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
yay842
Posts: 5,680
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2014 10:44:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?
Why Do We Exist?
What's The Meaning Of Life?

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.

to live life like nobody is watching
https://www.youtube.com...
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
http://www.debate.org...
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
http://www.debate.org...
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 12:59:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?

May not have a purpose. Depends what you mean by purpose.

Why Do We Exist?

Causality..........

What's The Meaning Of Life?

May not have a meaning, depends what you mean what you mean by meaning.....


This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 7:22:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 9:19:27 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?

To propagate our genetic line.

This presupposes a purpose among a purposeless existence under neo-Darwinian evolution.

Why Do We Exist?

Because abiogenesis created the first life forms, and overtime, through evolution, these early organisms merged and combined into more complex life forms, and sooner or later, humans came along.

Abiogenesis has never occurred in nature or in a controlled setting. Amino acid creation is not sufficient to believe that abiogenesis has ever occurred. DNA encloses embedded information that directs the functioning properties of the cell . This embedded information can only come from previous information that it would need to copy/modify in order for new genes to be created. So structural forms are a far-cry from explaining the intelligent behaviors deriving from the instructions in the DNA.

What's The Meaning Of Life?

Life has no objective meaning. The meaning of life is entirely subjective based on who's asking.

If life has no objective meaning, then to make the claim that our purpose is to propagate our genetic line is false.


I'm not trying to be confrontational for the sake of being confrontational, but I would honestly like to hear your rebuttals. I'm very interested in the intelligent design vs. neo-Darwinian (or unguided evolution via random mutation and natural selection) being responsible for the origin of life. I'm making the assumption that you believe in neo-Darwinian evolution given that you've said we have no objective meaning, insinuating that life is the result of an unguided and therefore objectively purposeless process.

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.
SNP1
Posts: 2,404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 10:57:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Sorry to but in, but I have to bring something up.

At 4/2/2014 7:22:53 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
This presupposes a purpose among a purposeless existence under neo-Darwinian evolution.

Except that is a biological purpose of all life.

Abiogenesis has never occurred in nature or in a controlled setting. Amino acid creation is not sufficient to believe that abiogenesis has ever occurred. DNA encloses embedded information that directs the functioning properties of the cell . This embedded information can only come from previous information that it would need to copy/modify in order for new genes to be created. So structural forms are a far-cry from explaining the intelligent behaviors deriving from the instructions in the DNA.

We have had amino acids AND RNA form in reduced environments, both of which could come together to form life. That means that we know it is possible, we just have not yet observed it.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
slo1
Posts: 4,359
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 1:06:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?
There is no specific purpose. Each individual must make their own purpose or not have one.

Why Do We Exist?

Pure random dumb luck.

What's The Meaning Of Life?

There is no meaning other than the meaning you make or don't make for yourself.

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.

The beauty of it all is that there is tremendous power in making your own purpose. It is also very scary when looking at a blank piece of paper.
Subutai
Posts: 3,246
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 1:13:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 7:22:53 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 4/1/2014 9:19:27 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?

To propagate our genetic line.

This presupposes a purpose among a purposeless existence under neo-Darwinian evolution.


Regardless, it is the purpose of living according to evolutionary theory. Everything else is subjective
Why Do We Exist?

Because abiogenesis created the first life forms, and overtime, through evolution, these early organisms merged and combined into more complex life forms, and sooner or later, humans came along.

Abiogenesis has never occurred in nature or in a controlled setting. Amino acid creation is not sufficient to believe that abiogenesis has ever occurred. DNA encloses embedded information that directs the functioning properties of the cell . This embedded information can only come from previous information that it would need to copy/modify in order for new genes to be created. So structural forms are a far-cry from explaining the intelligent behaviors deriving from the instructions in the DNA.

I could give you all the science if you want, but I think this quote will suffice:

"This is among the simplest semblance of 'life' that we have described, as biotic things commonly serve to create order from chaos (organize materials) in an effort to enhance their own survival. It wouldn"t take much to imagine that this could initiate a snowball effect, resulting in the hoarding of mass amounts of complex molecules, which would aid in the creation of small, self-replicating molecules that are capable of evolving to better survive in their environment (life)."

http://christopherjrex.hubpages.com...

What's The Meaning Of Life?

Life has no objective meaning. The meaning of life is entirely subjective based on who's asking.

If life has no objective meaning, then to make the claim that our purpose is to propagate our genetic line is false.



You're falsely equivocating the purpose of life with the meaning of life. Purpose is a goal, and reproduction is specifically a biological goal. Meaning s more subjective and up to the person.
I'm not trying to be confrontational for the sake of being confrontational, but I would honestly like to hear your rebuttals. I'm very interested in the intelligent design vs. neo-Darwinian (or unguided evolution via random mutation and natural selection) being responsible for the origin of life. I'm making the assumption that you believe in neo-Darwinian evolution given that you've said we have no objective meaning, insinuating that life is the result of an unguided and therefore objectively purposeless process.

This is a very complicated question, but I'm interested to read your views.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 2:08:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 10:57:19 AM, SNP1 wrote:
Sorry to but in, but I have to bring something up.

At 4/2/2014 7:22:53 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
This presupposes a purpose among a purposeless existence under neo-Darwinian evolution.

Except that is a biological purpose of all life.

"Biological purpose" is essentially a definition of life. Purpose means "the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc."(-dictionary.com) Purpose asks what the underlying significance of life is, not what life actually is or how it behaves.

So for what purpose does life exist rather than not? The reason for existing, if by mere chance, is a still a purposeless existence because no objective purpose exists. Mutations have randomly generated higher forms of life acting by natural selection.

Abiogenesis has never occurred in nature or in a controlled setting. Amino acid creation is not sufficient to believe that abiogenesis has ever occurred. DNA encloses embedded information that directs the functioning properties of the cell . This embedded information can only come from previous information that it would need to copy/modify in order for new genes to be created. So structural forms are a far-cry from explaining the intelligent behaviors deriving from the instructions in the DNA.

We have had amino acids AND RNA form in reduced environments, both of which could come together to form life. That means that we know it is possible, we just have not yet observed it.

Having the structural mechanism in place would not be enough to account for the missing information. Information only derives and acts from previous information.
SNP1
Posts: 2,404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 2:11:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 2:08:42 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Having the structural mechanism in place would not be enough to account for the missing information. Information only derives and acts from previous information.

Well, this was the reason I was replying anyways, so...

If that was true then RNA would not have been able to form in a reduced atmosphere.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 2:35:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 2:11:35 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 4/2/2014 2:08:42 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Having the structural mechanism in place would not be enough to account for the missing information. Information only derives and acts from previous information.

Well, this was the reason I was replying anyways, so...

If that was true then RNA would not have been able to form in a reduced atmosphere.

The problem remains, in the absence of information, of getting the nucleotide bases to arrange themselves into functionally-specified sequences.
SNP1
Posts: 2,404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 2:46:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 2:35:46 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 4/2/2014 2:11:35 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 4/2/2014 2:08:42 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Having the structural mechanism in place would not be enough to account for the missing information. Information only derives and acts from previous information.

Well, this was the reason I was replying anyways, so...

If that was true then RNA would not have been able to form in a reduced atmosphere.

The problem remains, in the absence of information, of getting the nucleotide bases to arrange themselves into functionally-specified sequences.

Except that that is not true. RNA is information, and scientists recreated conditions thought to have existed on an early Earth, and in those conditions RNA formed.

http://www.wired.com...

Self replicating RNA also in a lab?

http://www.livescience.com...

Information is not required for information to form, all that is needed are certain conditions.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 2:53:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/1/2014 12:23:28 PM, savannahbhang wrote:
What's The Purpose Of Living?
Why Do We Exist?
What's The Meaning Of Life?

In all three questions there's a common thread--they each inquire of a purpose, an intention that goes beyond life. By "life," I think the inquirer means something like "consciousness." (To keep things short I'll skip the justification of this interpretation, but reply if you want to see it). However, when we use the word "intention," or even its opposite--"accident"--we assume a consciousness-at-work. Thus, to me the question "what was intended by consciousness" is circular, reading something like "what did a consciousness intend by making all consciousness?" The question is circular, and the concern is semantic.

The fact is, we exist, but our existence cannot be reduced to a blueprint of an existence (intention), or a byproduct of the design of something else (accident). Life simply isn't reducible to these words. We are born of a flow of intentions and non-intentions--by history. An explanation of our existences to an intentional proposition is not only nonsense, but also reductive. It really misses the point, in my opinion.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 2:57:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yes, but RNA is dependent on functionally-specified information in DNA to have a function other than genetic gibberish.
SNP1
Posts: 2,404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 3:00:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 2:57:12 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Yes, but RNA is dependent on functionally-specified information in DNA to have a function other than genetic gibberish.

Not self replicating RNA, no. Viruses only have RNA, not DNA and they still function. Certain types of RNA do not require DNA. Certain types of RNA can actually function similarly to a bacteria WITHOUT DNA being present, as you can see in the second link I provided from my previous statement.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 3:28:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 3:00:58 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 4/2/2014 2:57:12 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Yes, but RNA is dependent on functionally-specified information in DNA to have a function other than genetic gibberish.

Not self replicating RNA, no. Viruses only have RNA, not DNA and they still function. Certain types of RNA do not require DNA. Certain types of RNA can actually function similarly to a bacteria WITHOUT DNA being present, as you can see in the second link I provided from my previous statement.

Viruses don't have an inherent functionality, they hijack the function of a living organism - hence they can't self-replicate without one. It's akin to a virus on your computer that could only work with the software on your computer. All living things have DNA.
SNP1
Posts: 2,404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 3:36:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 3:28:23 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 4/2/2014 3:00:58 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 4/2/2014 2:57:12 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Yes, but RNA is dependent on functionally-specified information in DNA to have a function other than genetic gibberish.

Not self replicating RNA, no. Viruses only have RNA, not DNA and they still function. Certain types of RNA do not require DNA. Certain types of RNA can actually function similarly to a bacteria WITHOUT DNA being present, as you can see in the second link I provided from my previous statement.

Viruses don't have an inherent functionality, they hijack the function of a living organism - hence they can't self-replicate without one. It's akin to a virus on your computer that could only work with the software on your computer. All living things have DNA.

You are only addressing one part of my latest statement, does that mean that you concede to those points? Also, viruses do function. Their RNA tells them what to do at certain times, which is why specific viruses only invade specific cells. I also did not say that Viruses could self-replicate, but I did say certain strands of RNA can, as pointed out in the link mentioned. All living things have DNA, correct, but RNA is a precursor to DNA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

RNA can form in the environment of early Earth, self replicating RNA exists, self replicating RNA does not require DNA (as seen in the link I keep mentioning), RNA became DNA, DNA is in all life, RNA forming in early Earth could explain the origin of life.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 3:46:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 3:36:47 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 4/2/2014 3:28:23 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 4/2/2014 3:00:58 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 4/2/2014 2:57:12 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Yes, but RNA is dependent on functionally-specified information in DNA to have a function other than genetic gibberish.

Not self replicating RNA, no. Viruses only have RNA, not DNA and they still function. Certain types of RNA do not require DNA. Certain types of RNA can actually function similarly to a bacteria WITHOUT DNA being present, as you can see in the second link I provided from my previous statement.

Viruses don't have an inherent functionality, they hijack the function of a living organism - hence they can't self-replicate without one. It's akin to a virus on your computer that could only work with the software on your computer. All living things have DNA.

You are only addressing one part of my latest statement, does that mean that you concede to those points? Also, viruses do function. Their RNA tells them what to do at certain times, which is why specific viruses only invade specific cells. I also did not say that Viruses could self-replicate, but I did say certain strands of RNA can, as pointed out in the link mentioned. All living things have DNA, correct, but RNA is a precursor to DNA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

RNA can form in the environment of early Earth, self replicating RNA exists, self replicating RNA does not require DNA (as seen in the link I keep mentioning), RNA became DNA, DNA is in all life, RNA forming in early Earth could explain the origin of life.

I suppose it depends on your definition of function. I would say that a functionally specified sequence, those found in DNA, is what actually constitutes a function.

RNA is the message from which DNA reads. Viruses depend on that DNA in the host organism to function.

"In the modern world, DNA carries the genetic sequence for advanced organisms, while RNA is dependent on DNA for performing its roles such as building proteins."
http://www.scripps.edu...
SNP1
Posts: 2,404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2014 5:43:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/2/2014 3:53:02 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Oops, mistake in my last post. RNA carries instructions from DNA.

Some RNA, correct, but not all RNA does that. It is like saying all mammals walk on 2 legs. Some do, but others do not.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO