Jump to topic:

Mutual Respect

CrazyCowMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 5:16:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
If someone (after multiple attempts to show mutual respect) still refuses to respect me, I will not respect them. No matter who they are.

Do you guys think that some people deserve respect, even if they do not return it?
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 5:48:49 AM
At 4/3/2014 5:16:00 AM, CrazyCowMan wrote:
If someone (after multiple attempts to show mutual respect) still refuses to respect me, I will not respect them. No matter who they are.

Do you guys think that some people deserve respect, even if they do not return it?

What if it's a two-year-old? Or a really old grumpy person who has spent her entire life and fortune in poor countries restoring sight to orphans and who doesn't respect you because you don't do anything to help the community even though you have the skills and resources?

It depends what you mean by "respect" though. Sometimes when people start talking about respect I have a feeling that I'm not quite getting the definition properly.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 6:32:13 AM

That isn't mutual respect, one person can show repect, it takes two to have mutual respect.

Some maybe, but very few.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2014 9:54:54 PM
There are lots of reasons to maintain respect REGARDLESS of how you are treated:

- You must accept that there are many people out there who are going to disrespect you and act selfishly. If you let these people degrade you down to their level, then the damage you perceive from their "disrespect" is nothing compared to the damage they have caused you by forcing you down to their level. There is no better justification of said disrespect then letting them WIN and break your will. And trust me, you will not beat them at their own game if only because you have more to lose than they do.

- Our perception of disrespect is often distorted. We may not understand their full circumstances and we may not understand the vices we are practicing because we are minimizing them. While we cannot achieve perfection, we can resist the urge to justify our imperfect actions (that may actually be contributing to the problem).

- We take for granted the full implications of our actions. Perhaps somebody out there recognizes you are being the "bigger" person and you will lose their respect by engaging in that activity. Don't sell yourself short for having the power to resist giving in.

- Reacting in anger (disrespect) does not make you feel good. While you may fantasize about telling them off and how great it would be, in practice, it will actually make you feel much worse.

- Disrespect can be habit-forming. By giving into it you can make it harder to respect others in the future.

- It is more important to address the reason why said disrespect is causing an emotional reaction within you, more than it is to try and fix the disrespect itself.

One could write a book on this subject. Jesus taught us to "turn the other cheek," which most people simply write off as meaning we need to be pacifistic so we can get into Heaven (or something like that). The actual logic of Jesus' teachings makes practical sense right here and now in the real world, and you are tested in this way every single day. Either you can do the right thing or the wrong thing; it is not ambiguous or subjective or even confusing what the "right thing" is despite moral relativists insisting ethics are just aesthetic or cultural in nature. Our anger can rule us or we can rule it.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 2:58:04 AM

For some reason mutual respect + randomly posted in Philosophy is making me think about Habermas. Gross.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.