Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Possibility of existing=Existing?

ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 10:18:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The larger the sample size, the larger the likelihood of something possible existing within it.

The universe is infinitely expanding

Therefore, anything that has a possibility of existing can be determined to be extremely likely to exist.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 10:32:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/4/2014 10:18:17 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
The larger the sample size, the larger the likelihood of something possible existing within it.

The universe is infinitely expanding

Therefore, anything that has a possibility of existing can be determined to be extremely likely to exist.

You mean physical things?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 10:34:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/4/2014 10:32:32 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 4/4/2014 10:18:17 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
The larger the sample size, the larger the likelihood of something possible existing within it.

The universe is infinitely expanding

Therefore, anything that has a possibility of existing can be determined to be extremely likely to exist.

You mean physical things?

Sure.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
zmikecuber
Posts: 4,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 10:35:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/4/2014 10:34:09 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 4/4/2014 10:32:32 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 4/4/2014 10:18:17 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
The larger the sample size, the larger the likelihood of something possible existing within it.

The universe is infinitely expanding

Therefore, anything that has a possibility of existing can be determined to be extremely likely to exist.

You mean physical things?

Sure.

Is size relative though?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 9:36:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/4/2014 10:35:01 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Is size relative though?

No, that's just what your gf tells you to protect your feelings HA!

Joking aside, I see nothing relative about size. As proportions grow, the laws of physics change drastically. Small particles can appear and annihilate each other spontaneously, tunnel through matter, etc. while large objects cannot. Extremely large objects act differently than regular objects as well (gravitational effects, inertia, etc.). But most importantly, large areas of space give rise to large amounts of chances for quantum effects to take hold. Consider the "timeline of the far future" page on Wiki that describes what can happen when space is left alone for googols of years: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Vis13
Posts: 27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 10:49:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/4/2014 10:18:17 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
The larger the sample size, the larger the likelihood of something possible existing within it.

The universe is infinitely expanding

Therefore, anything that has a possibility of existing can be determined to be extremely likely to exist.

Things that can exist must be respect the law of the physics.

Not all that we think of cannot exist really. And all that we can think of is not all which can exist.

There is the physical truth which is all the measurable things, the truth conceivable, which is all the conceivable things and the truth which is all the things which we cannot imagine.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 11:20:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm skeptical of this. If it were true, then the fact that we exist as humans is basically infinitely impossible because the chances that we would exist as a species with a longer history and a higher population approaches the limit of infinity.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 11:55:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/5/2014 11:20:45 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
I'm skeptical of this. If it were true, then the fact that we exist as humans is basically infinitely impossible because the chances that we would exist as a species with a longer history and a higher population approaches the limit of infinity.

I mean "the chances that you would belong to a species..."
tahir.imanov
Posts: 272
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2014 12:22:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/4/2014 10:18:17 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
The larger the sample size, the larger the likelihood of something possible existing within it.

The universe is infinitely expanding

Therefore, anything that has a possibility of existing can be determined to be extremely likely to exist.
P1 is fallacy, we can call it gambler's fallacy.
P2 is false, universe is not infinitely expanding. It is expanding and will expand to certain point, after reaching it it will implode or something else will happen.
Your argument is neither valid, nor sound.
This is red.