Jump to topic:

Random Question:

OliveJuice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 5:25:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In general, is it better to be blissfully ignorant or unhappily knowledgeable? Why?
.Innocence is news to me.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 7:08:09 PM
It depends on whether you need the knowledge or not.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 9:31:14 AM
At 4/15/2014 5:25:03 PM, OliveJuice wrote:
In general, is it better to be blissfully ignorant or unhappily knowledgeable? Why?

That depends on whether you value knowledge or happiness more.
Tsar of DDO
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 10:33:05 AM
That's an awesome question that I ask myself over and over again!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
el_em_en_oh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 2:13:28 PM

I personally subscribe to... sometimes it's better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot. Some knowledge isn't that compelling, and some ignorance is incapacitating.

I'd rather get an answer I don't like and explore the WHY's and WHY NOT'S behind why I don't like the answer, as opposed to being "blissfully ignorant", because at least then I can gain a better understanding of self.

Awareness of one's inner thoughts on a topic can't be a bad thing as it necessarily leads to internal reflection of ones biases (which may be groundless and/or socially unacceptable) and unless one exposes said biases by asking the question(s), one would never realize that one was biased in the first place.

(if that made any sense whatsoever to anyone besides me)