Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Is religiously indoctrinating kids immoral?

Questionner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:30:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The authenticity of a religion can never be proven, it's a matter of faith, and one's faith depends a whole lot on what they have been taught as a child. With that said, as I watched a documentary on one of those places in islamic countries where kids are indoctrinated with the idea that terrorism in the name of God is a honorable thing, I couldn't help but question the morality of raising by the rules of a certain religion.

Maybe you think that only the morality of raising kids to be terrorists in the name of God should be questioned, it shouldn't extend to any religion, but I think both of these things go hand in hand. When we religiously indoctrinate kids, regardless of the religion, we're telling these kids that having 100% trust in something without proof is okay, which is dangerous already because that sets them up to being comfortable with accepting the beliefs of whatever extremist religion or sect on the basis that "you can't disprove the existence of God". That makes them more vulnerable to the type of manipulation that has them believe religious terrorism is to be encouraged.

Furthermore, in the case of Abrahamic religions in particular, isn't it emotionally abusive to threaten with hellfire?
This type of conditioning causes even adults to have trouble with letting go of an Abrahamic religion, even if they think the religion makes no logical sense, purely out of fear of going to hell in case they were wrong. And yet, we don't fear the punishment that, say, the Vikings or the Romans believed the non-believers of their religion would get. Their beliefs just sound like silly mumbo jumo to our ears because nobody believes in them anymore, although they're just as likely to be true as today's most popular religions; they're just as unproven, I mean. This demonstrates perfectly that religious faith is a matter of psychological conditioning more than anything.

Kids are the most psychologically malleable (I suppose, otherwise people wouldn't so often have faith in the religion they were raised with as adults) so shouldn't it be immoral/illegal to religiously indoctrinate kids (by forcing them to go to church/mosque/synagogue, read the holy scriptures, not allowing them eat pork, etc.)?
Shouldn't a good parent only impose rules on kids that aren't religiously based, so that the kids can choose a religion as a grown ups, free of restrictive psychological conditionning, when it will already have developped critical thinking skills?
Questionner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 9:34:47 AM
PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST, INSTEAD OF READING THE ONE ABOVE. I ACCIDENTALLY CLICKED ON "ADD TOPIC" INSTEAD OF "MAKE CHANGES" WHEN I CREATED THE TOPIC, SO THIS POST IS LIKE THE FIRST, BUT IT HAS BEEN EDITED. THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO BE THE FIRST POST.

The authenticity of a religion can never be proven, it's a matter of faith, and one's faith depends a whole lot on what they have been taught as a child. With that said, as I watched a documentary on one of those places in islamic countries where kids are indoctrinated with the idea that terrorism in the name of God is a honorable thing, I couldn't help but question the morality of raising kids by the rules of a certain religion.

Maybe you think that only the morality of raising kids to be terrorists in the name of God should be questioned, it shouldn't extend to any religion, but I think both of these things go hand in hand. When we religiously indoctrinate kids, regardless of the religion, we're telling these kids that having 100% trust in something without proof is okay, which is dangerous already because that sets them up to being comfortable with accepting the beliefs of whatever extremist religion or sect on the basis that "I can't prove it, but you can't disprove it either. I deeply feel like it's true, so it's true." That makes them more vulnerable to the type of manipulation that has them believe religious terrorism is to be encouraged.

Furthermore, in the case of Abrahamic religions in particular, isn't it emotionally abusive to threaten with hellfire?
This type of conditioning causes even adults to have trouble with letting go of an Abrahamic religion, even if they think the religion makes no logical sense, purely out of fear of going to hell in case they were wrong. And yet, we don't fear the punishment that, say, the Vikings or the Romans believed the non-believers of their religion would get. Their beliefs just sound like silly mumbo jumbo to our ears because nobody believes in them anymore, although they're just as likely to be true as today's most popular religions; they're just as unproven. This demonstrates perfectly that religious faith (the feeling that we just "deeply know" our religion is true) is a matter of psychological conditioning more than anything.

Kids are the most psychologically malleable (I suppose, otherwise people wouldn't so often have faith in the religion they were raised with as adults) so shouldn't it be immoral/illegal to religiously indoctrinate kids (by forcing them to go to church/mosque/synagogue, read the holy scriptures, not allowing them eat pork, etc.)?
Shouldn't a good parent only impose rules on kids that aren't religiously based, so that the kids can make the conscious choice to follow a religion as a grown ups, free of restrictive psychological conditionning, when they will already have developped the critical thinking skills that will make them less vulnerable to joining extremist religious groups?

Furthermore, going from being an atheist to a theist is usually a liberating experience (going by testimonies), but the reverse is more likely to be painful because it means forsaking faith into a very appealing eternal paradise and redefining the meaning of one's whole existence. That's another difficult experience religiously indoctrinated kids are being set up for (if they lose their faith at some point).

I expect that many of you could find it intrusive and wrong to meddle with parent's freedom to share their religion, but religion has sewn so much division across the world, caused so many conflicts and wars throughout history and now even. Doesn't the fact that It's so immensely powerful warrant some curbing?
Questionner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 10:34:57 AM
The little girl begins talking at 0:38.

https://www.youtube.com...

2:54 "We must educate them while they're still children to be true muslims."

Hmmm...
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 10:41:04 AM
That's a tough one.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!