Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Philosophy debates you would like to see...

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 9:44:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/26/2014 12:37:38 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Self-explanatory. Although I would add that this also includes philosophy debates on DDO you would like to personally have with others.

William Lane Craig vs Richard Dawkins. Dawkins needs to grow a pair and debate theism's most popular apologist if he wants to have any credibility with honest thinkers. But as Dr. Ed Feser states, Dawkins doesn't know the difference between metaphysics and metamucil.

Idk... I just have so much more respect for atheists like Nagel than I do for Dawkins. At least where philosophy is concerned.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 9:46:29 PM
Self-explanatory. Although I would add that this also includes philosophy debates on DDO you would like to personally have with others.

Rational_Thinker vs Mikal on the existence of God. Seriously, if you're reading this RT, you should consider debating Mikal or bluesteel or Roy Latham on gods existence.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:28:39 PM
I'd like to see a debate on transcendental idealism. Actually, I'd probably want to participate.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:30:07 PM
At 4/26/2014 9:46:29 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Rational_Thinker vs Mikal on the existence of God. Seriously, if you're reading this RT, you should consider debating Mikal or bluesteel or Roy Latham on gods existence.

Unitedandy is the best atheist debater here.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:32:29 PM
At 4/26/2014 10:28:39 PM, phantom wrote:
I'd like to see a debate on transcendental idealism. Actually, I'd probably want to participate.

Like Kantian idealism right?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:35:31 PM
At 4/26/2014 10:32:29 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Yes, though it's important to note that Kant was in no way an idealist in the traditional meaning of the word, or if he was, it was over his dead body. You probably know that though.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:39:58 PM
At 4/26/2014 10:35:31 PM, phantom wrote:

Yes, though it's important to note that Kant was in no way an idealist in the traditional meaning of the word, or if he was, it was over his dead body. You probably know that though.

It's just like the noumena (imperceptible reality) vs phenomena (sensations which we know immediately) if I understand correctly? So it's not really idealism but not really empiricism either if my memory serves me right.. More like indirect realism I think.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:48:40 PM
At 4/26/2014 10:39:58 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

It's just like the noumena (imperceptible reality) vs phenomena (sensations which we know immediately) if I understand correctly? So it's not really idealism but not really empiricism either if my memory serves me right.. More like indirect realism I think.

Yes, it's distinguishable from both idealism and empiricism. We bring a set of a priori conditions to experience which render the vast array of stimuli in experience intelligible. This makes knowledge mediated rather than immediate, which is why we can't access noumenal reality. It's beyond our reach.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:51:20 PM
I wouldn't want to defend his notions of space and time however, that "space and time are only subjective forms of human intuition that would not subsist in themselves if one were to abstract from all subjective conditions of human intuition".
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:51:43 PM
At 4/26/2014 10:48:40 PM, phantom wrote:

Yes, it's distinguishable from both idealism and empiricism. We bring a set of a priori conditions to experience which render the vast array of stimuli in experience intelligible. This makes knowledge mediated rather than immediate, which is why we can't access noumenal reality. It's beyond our reach.

That makes sense. Didn't Bertrand Russell advocate an indirect realism similar to that?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 10:58:27 PM
At 4/26/2014 10:51:43 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

That makes sense. Didn't Bertrand Russell advocate an indirect realism similar to that?

Uh, I don't believe so.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 11:04:57 PM
At 4/26/2014 9:44:31 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

William Lane Craig vs Richard Dawkins. Dawkins needs to grow a pair and debate theism's most popular apologist if he wants to have any credibility with honest thinkers. But as Dr. Ed Feser states, Dawkins doesn't know the difference between metaphysics and metamucil.

Idk... I just have so much more respect for atheists like Nagel than I do for Dawkins. At least where philosophy is concerned.

Dawkins is so unphilosophical, it's an embarrassment. He should stick to arguing with creationists, not theism in general. I wish more famous atheists were heavily philosophically educated.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 11:07:10 PM
At 4/26/2014 10:58:27 PM, phantom wrote:

Uh, I don't believe so.

More like the opposite actually. I like some of Russell's theories on truth but not the rest of his epistemology.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 11:19:30 PM
At 4/26/2014 10:58:27 PM, phantom wrote:

Uh, I don't believe so.

Really? I thought he had that quote that when a neuroscientist looks into someone's brain he's actually seeing the inside of his own brain. Idk maybe I'm completely wrong.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 11:42:30 PM

Myself vs Dream or Zmike

Topic Homosexual acts are immoral (using natural theology to justify it)

SO what was the "purpose" of the ebola virus mike ?, you never did get back to me on that.

I am coming..........
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 11:44:32 PM
At 4/26/2014 11:42:30 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Myself vs Dream or Zmike

Them as Pro me as Con

SO what was the "purpose" of the ebola virus mike ?, you never did get back to me on that.

I am coming..........
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2014 11:46:11 PM

Myself vs Dream or Zmike

I am coming..........

The purpose of a is whatever it is directed towards by its nature. You tell me what that virus does.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 12:00:19 AM
At 4/26/2014 10:30:07 PM, phantom wrote:
At 4/26/2014 9:46:29 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Unitedandy is the best atheist debater here.

Yeah, a RT Unitedandy debate is a religion debate I would actually read
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 12:21:49 AM
At 4/26/2014 11:46:11 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Myself vs Dream or Zmike

I am coming..........

The purpose of a is whatever it is directed towards by its nature. You tell me what that virus does.

I don't know what you mean when you say something is "directed towards by it's nature".

The effect of the ebola virus, or at least one of it's effects is dead kiddies in africa.

Is an effect of X the same as it's "directed towards by nature" ? if yes then that would be my answer.

If no, then you would have to explain what the hell you mean by directed towards nature vs effect/outcome.