Jump to topic:

corelation and causation

ATHOS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 4:38:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What would have to be the case where corelation proves causation?
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 9:53:35 PM
At 4/28/2014 4:38:07 AM, ATHOS wrote:

Given the meaning of the terms, it's necessarily impossible.

If we have variable A and variable B, to prove they cause each other you have to prove that B exists because of A. Correlation doesn't provide any means of giving such information and couldn't possibly. Correlation says nothing about whether A and B are causally related. It merely says they're associated. It's not within the means of correlation to prove any causal relation between variables.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 10:08:59 PM

When it is tested over and over again with the same result. For example, if I cough at the same time a horn honks outside, the sounds were correlated, but I know my coughing didn't cause it because when I cough again, what do you know, no horn. It was just a coincidence or whatever. But if I cough into a microphone, and I hear a my voice coming out of speakers, I know my voice is causing that noise out of the speaker because every time I cough, the speaker makes the noise.

Every time you pull the trigger on a working loaded gun, a bullet comes out. That is how you know a causal relationship is there.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 10:14:16 PM

What RT said except with controlled variables.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
ATHOS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 11:57:27 PM
At 4/28/2014 10:08:59 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

When it is tested over and over again with the same result. For example, if I cough at the same time a horn honks outside, the sounds were correlated, but I know my coughing didn't cause it because when I cough again, what do you know, no horn. It was just a coincidence or whatever. But if I cough into a microphone, and I hear a my voice coming out of speakers, I know my voice is causing that noise out of the speaker because every time I cough, the speaker makes the noise.

Every time you pull the trigger on a working loaded gun, a bullet comes out. That is how you know a causal relationship is there.

What about a case where the causal relationships that are being questioned reside in the mind?
When regarding psychological constructs, ego defense mechanisms and the correalation of God (Bible) and ego having the same attributes, what are the variables to be considered? Is it possible to prove a causal relationship with the shared aspects of God and ego?
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?