Jump to topic:

Boondock Saints

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 10:59:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Just watched the Boondock Saints movies. Yeah, they were totally guy movies but I thought they were pretty cool. Especially since they reminded me of some Irish guys I know.

Anyhow, do you guys think that vigilantism is morally acceptable?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 11:22:07 AM
At 4/28/2014 10:59:35 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
Just watched the Boondock Saints movies. Yeah, they were totally guy movies but I thought they were pretty cool. Especially since they reminded me of some Irish guys I know.

Morally, yes . I'm pretty utilitarian/consequentialist and vigilantism fits the bill. Ideally, it would provide a greater benefit to more people as crime is being taken off the streets, but then the practical and legal issues it would raise would be monumental, as well as the likely increase in vigilante-gangs/orders which will only have negative repercussions. Practically I would be against it. But the moral idea of vigilantism, I'm for.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 11:44:10 AM

I suppose it would depend on the situation, but overall probably not. Morals are a subjective thing, violating social contract by imposing your own morals on others and denying people vital things to our country like due process would, at the end of the day do more harm than good, since these rights and their preservation are more important than catching a few extra criminals.
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 11:48:00 AM
At 4/28/2014 11:44:10 AM, Objectivity wrote:

I suppose it would depend on the situation, but overall probably not. Morals are a subjective thing, violating social contract by imposing your own morals on others and denying people vital things to our country like due process would, at the end of the day do more harm than good, since these rights and their preservation are more important than catching a few extra criminals.

But surely we do that anyway by having the idea of "crime"? I don't see how vigilantism denies the rights and is enforcing morality on anyone but the criminals. And the idea of law against an action does that anyway.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 12:20:20 PM
Vigilantism only works if it's "perfect" vigilantism. As soon as the vigilante does anything to someone who is not indisputably guilty, they have committed a moral wrong, and can't get out of it through the "ignorance" exemption, as they know there is a system in place to address guilt, they chose to go outside of it knowing they're imperfect.

The reason we have the protections that we have are because we recognize no system is perfect, and those protecctions are to ensure that the innocent are not punished as much as possible.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 3:07:10 PM
At 4/28/2014 11:48:00 AM, CJKAllstar wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:44:10 AM, Objectivity wrote:

But surely we do that anyway by having the idea of "crime"?

Do what? Impose subjective morality on others? I agree, but I'm saying at least if we condemn vigilantism and uphold the rule of law, we are imposing it through the will of the majority and allowing people due process rights, both vital parts of the american social contract.

I don't see how vigilantism denies the rights and is enforcing morality on anyone but the criminals. And the idea of law against an action does that anyway.

Define vigilantism for a more clear framework, please.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 3:17:43 PM
No. I watched Boondock Saints some years ago. It was a very violent movie and I certainly wouldn't call the Protagonist "Saints". They were criminals pure and simple.

They were not saint-like except that they prayed and acknowledge God regularly. In my view they behaved just as badly as terrorists. I haven't seen the sequel.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 6:47:39 AM

I can't really condemn some one who would contemplate vigilantism or act in such a way since I reserve the right for myself to take such action, and you know according to the thou shalt not be a hypocrite rule that puts me in a bind.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12