Jump to topic:

Experiential vs. philosophical way of living

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 3:21:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Would you rather live happy but be ignorant of the truth, or live unhappy but know the truth?

The first way is what I would describe as an experiential way of living. You "feel" instead of think.

The second way is philosophical. You "think" instead of feel.

Obviously these are oversimplified and aren't mutually exclusive in practice, but if you had to choose one way to live your life, what would it be?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 10:39:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/5/2014 3:21:49 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Would you rather live happy but be ignorant of the truth, or live unhappy but know the truth?

The first way is what I would describe as an experiential way of living. You "feel" instead of think.

The second way is philosophical. You "think" instead of feel.

Obviously these are oversimplified and aren't mutually exclusive in practice, but if you had to choose one way to live your life, what would it be?

The only thing that matters is the conscious states that are experienced, knowledge sort of plays the backdrop. For instance, it doesn't matter how much you know about the world, that won't matter if you just stubbed your toe real hard.

So, I would rather be happy and ignorant. Who cares about what I know and don't know as long as I'm happy, right?