Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Dose Science owe it's existence to Religion?

ZMowlcher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 10:08:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have often thought about the effects religion has had on the world, both good and bad.

For instance, religion offered early humans a means of rationalizing the unknown: Life, death, why it rains, the sky, etc...

It's not until humans began to civilize and obtain the luxury of analyzing their surroundings more closely, figuring out what makes everything tick.

Though what I'm really trying to say is, "With out that initial spark of rationalizing that religion gave humans, would our species ever stop to think about the world, form a hypothesis about a natural occurring events, and progress mentally?"
Always angry, All the time.
Brendan21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 10:23:19 AM
I believe so, though it would be fascinating to see how. Humans have always shown a curiosity at how things work and generally at least enough people seek some sort of knowledge to better peoples lives as well, be it medicine or construction or institution/government.
Brendan21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 10:25:48 AM
Sorry didn't make my position clear. I believe humans would progress without the aid of religion. Meant to hit reply & quote.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 12:08:41 PM
*does
*its
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
ZMowlcher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 12:40:54 PM
At 5/6/2014 12:08:41 PM, n7 wrote:
*does
*its

If you're not going to contribute anything to the discussion, don't post.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 12:50:21 PM
At 5/6/2014 12:40:54 PM, ZMowlcher wrote:
At 5/6/2014 12:08:41 PM, n7 wrote:
*does
*its

If you're not going to contribute anything to the discussion, don't post.

I had to correct it.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 12:56:38 PM
At 5/6/2014 10:08:29 AM, ZMowlcher wrote:
I have often thought about the effects religion has had on the world, both good and bad.

For instance, religion offered early humans a means of rationalizing the unknown: Life, death, why it rains, the sky, etc...

It's not until humans began to civilize and obtain the luxury of analyzing their surroundings more closely, figuring out what makes everything tick.

Though what I'm really trying to say is, "With out that initial spark of rationalizing that religion gave humans, would our species ever stop to think about the world, form a hypothesis about a natural occurring events, and progress mentally?"

I don't think so, but I would also argue that religion is inevitable in an intelligent species like ours? And your history, and today is so intertwined with religion that it's pure guesswork to imagine what would have happened without it.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
ZMowlcher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 7:29:20 AM
At 5/6/2014 12:56:54 PM, Fanath wrote:
Saying "dose" in the place if does was a turn off lol...

Dyslexia is a bitch to deal with sometimes.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:17:54 AM
At 5/6/2014 10:08:29 AM, ZMowlcher wrote:

You are mixing curiosity with the need to assign causation to things we don't understand. I would argue that since curiosity and a drive to make things more efficient exists without religion we would have progressed quicker with more dicoveries if not restricted by religion as it was.

It is important to note too that the mental capability of humans has changed little. You can take someone from 12,000 years ago raise them in today's world and you would never know.