Jump to topic:

Mark Antony, Cicero, and mob appeal

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 10:22:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was just reminded recently on how well Mark Antony plays on the emotions of the crowds after Caesar's death... like really, it's just a perfect example of mob appeal.

Start reading where he says "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears"

http://www.ibiblio.org...

Then this also made me remember when I translated Cicero's orations... and how ad hominem his rhetoric was, and how he totally grilled poor Catiline. Well he did that for Verres too, lol. http://www.bartleby.com...

There's something about this (fallacious) yet wonderful speaking ability which is incredible, and yet seems to be a long lost art, which has passed away.

Soo...

Do you think there are any modern day popular speakers who have the same mob appeal?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 10:24:36 AM
I absolutely loooove how the crowd is agreeing with Brutus, and then how Mark Antony gets them to change their mind and be ready to kill Brutus within the next ten minutes, lol.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 10:26:59 AM
The other thing is that you lose some of Cicero's rhetoric reading it in english. In latin, he uses lots of machine-gun like sounding words when he's repeating Catiline's crimes, and he constantly uses certain pronouns to refer to Catiline which imply extreme disgust.