Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

One must be 100% certain of at least 1 thin

GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 1:44:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?

I'm only 80% certain of that...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:18:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 1:44:40 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?

I'm only 80% certain of that...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:24:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?

Axioms.
Graincruncher
Posts: 2,799
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:32:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I would say that we need to be certain of at least several things at any given time.
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:53:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Our consciousness, math, and the laws of logic.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 12:26:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?

I think therefore I am. The only thing an individual can know with 100% certainty is that they exist at the second they are thinking. It is impossible to know with 100% certainty what they exist as, it is impossible to know anything else. The universe could be an illusion, you could be a character in a dream of someone else. Though the only thing that can be said with 100% certainty is I think therefore I am", it is practical to assume that the universe exists and that your senses are accurate.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 2:19:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm a 100% certain that my mind exists. I cannot doubt it, because doubting is a mental action by definition. So, the very act of doubting presupposes my mind exists. There is no reasonably way not accept the existence of my mind. I am certain it exists.
2Pro4U
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 8:45:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 2:19:24 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I'm a 100% certain that my mind exists. I cannot doubt it, because doubting is a mental action by definition. So, the very act of doubting presupposes my mind exists. There is no reasonably way not accept the existence of my mind. I am certain it exists.

You might assume that assumption itself and doubt are activities of the mind but what if they are not? What if everything you think you know about doubt and assumption and the mind are not true?
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:01:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 12:26:01 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?

I think therefore I am. The only thing an individual can know with 100% certainty is that they exist at the second they are thinking. It is impossible to know with 100% certainty what they exist as, it is impossible to know anything else. The universe could be an illusion, you could be a character in a dream of someone else. Though the only thing that can be said with 100% certainty is I think therefore I am", it is practical to assume that the universe exists and that your senses are accurate.

An illusion is only an illusion if there is a reality to base if off of.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:03:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 9:01:04 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:26:01 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?

I think therefore I am. The only thing an individual can know with 100% certainty is that they exist at the second they are thinking. It is impossible to know with 100% certainty what they exist as, it is impossible to know anything else. The universe could be an illusion, you could be a character in a dream of someone else. Though the only thing that can be said with 100% certainty is I think therefore I am", it is practical to assume that the universe exists and that your senses are accurate.

An illusion is only an illusion if there is a reality to base if off of.

Agreed. What's your point?
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:09:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 9:03:24 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 9:01:04 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:26:01 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?

I think therefore I am. The only thing an individual can know with 100% certainty is that they exist at the second they are thinking. It is impossible to know with 100% certainty what they exist as, it is impossible to know anything else. The universe could be an illusion, you could be a character in a dream of someone else. Though the only thing that can be said with 100% certainty is I think therefore I am", it is practical to assume that the universe exists and that your senses are accurate.

An illusion is only an illusion if there is a reality to base if off of.

Agreed. What's your point?

My point is that not everything can be an illusion. If everything is just an illusion, then the so-called illusion is simply reality. The line between what is "illusion" and "reality" becomes blurred and subject to frame of reference. What we consider reality may be another person's illusion, and vice-versa.

Can we not say with certainty that, from our frame of reference, we live in reality?
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:10:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 9:09:21 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/12/2014 9:03:24 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 9:01:04 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:26:01 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?

I think therefore I am. The only thing an individual can know with 100% certainty is that they exist at the second they are thinking. It is impossible to know with 100% certainty what they exist as, it is impossible to know anything else. The universe could be an illusion, you could be a character in a dream of someone else. Though the only thing that can be said with 100% certainty is I think therefore I am", it is practical to assume that the universe exists and that your senses are accurate.

An illusion is only an illusion if there is a reality to base if off of.

Agreed. What's your point?

My point is that not everything can be an illusion. If everything is just an illusion, then the so-called illusion is simply reality. The line between what is "illusion" and "reality" becomes blurred and subject to frame of reference. What we consider reality may be another person's illusion, and vice-versa.

Can we not say with certainty that, from our frame of reference, we live in reality?

I never said reality was an illusion...
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:12:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 9:10:14 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 9:09:21 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/12/2014 9:03:24 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 9:01:04 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:26:01 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?

I think therefore I am. The only thing an individual can know with 100% certainty is that they exist at the second they are thinking. It is impossible to know with 100% certainty what they exist as, it is impossible to know anything else. The universe could be an illusion, you could be a character in a dream of someone else. Though the only thing that can be said with 100% certainty is I think therefore I am", it is practical to assume that the universe exists and that your senses are accurate.

An illusion is only an illusion if there is a reality to base if off of.

Agreed. What's your point?

My point is that not everything can be an illusion. If everything is just an illusion, then the so-called illusion is simply reality. The line between what is "illusion" and "reality" becomes blurred and subject to frame of reference. What we consider reality may be another person's illusion, and vice-versa.

Can we not say with certainty that, from our frame of reference, we live in reality?

I never said reality was an illusion...

I was replying to SNP1 to begin with, who stated that the universe we live in could simply be an illusion.

This was not necessarily addressed to you, unless you happen to be the same person with two different accounts. I was simply expanding upon my original statement.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:16:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 9:12:41 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/12/2014 9:10:14 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 9:09:21 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/12/2014 9:03:24 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 9:01:04 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:26:01 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 5/12/2014 12:25:53 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
And that thing is that one must be 100% certain of at least 1 thing.

Does anyone disagree?

I think therefore I am. The only thing an individual can know with 100% certainty is that they exist at the second they are thinking. It is impossible to know with 100% certainty what they exist as, it is impossible to know anything else. The universe could be an illusion, you could be a character in a dream of someone else. Though the only thing that can be said with 100% certainty is I think therefore I am", it is practical to assume that the universe exists and that your senses are accurate.

An illusion is only an illusion if there is a reality to base if off of.

Agreed. What's your point?

My point is that not everything can be an illusion. If everything is just an illusion, then the so-called illusion is simply reality. The line between what is "illusion" and "reality" becomes blurred and subject to frame of reference. What we consider reality may be another person's illusion, and vice-versa.

Can we not say with certainty that, from our frame of reference, we live in reality?

I never said reality was an illusion...

I was replying to SNP1 to begin with, who stated that the universe we live in could simply be an illusion.

This was not necessarily addressed to you, unless you happen to be the same person with two different accounts. I was simply expanding upon my original statement.

Well, the universe exists, the question is regarding what the fundamental nature of it is.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 9:21:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 9:16:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Well, the universe exists, the question is regarding what the fundamental nature of it is.

Indeed. I suggested, however, that the fundamental nature of the universe is subject to frame of reference, similar to how motion is relative to frame of reference. When two contradictory views appear, who is right? Both are, relative to their own frame of reference.

I suppose this view starts falling apart when we factor in a third-party being such as God, though.