Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Why atheism is evil and awesome

n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Questionner
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 2:44:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Everything is not permitted under atheism. Or at least not that much more than with religion.

Societies need laws to function, no matter whether the society is atheistic or not, and so does religion.

With religion, doing something God deems wrong leads you to hell. In an atheistic society, doing something popularly deemed wrong leads you to jail (or capital punishment).

Same principle.
andymcstab
Posts: 308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:02:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 2:44:09 PM, Questionner wrote:
Everything is not permitted under atheism. Or at least not that much more than with religion.

Societies need laws to function, no matter whether the society is atheistic or not, and so does religion.

With religion, doing something God deems wrong leads you to hell. In an atheistic society, doing something popularly deemed wrong leads you to jail (or capital punishment).

Same principle.

Everything is permitted in atheism because there is no foundation to distinguish "right" from "wrong". there is no higher authority than oneself, and no fear of damnation, even if you can get away with all your evils on earth. Talking about the need for laws in society requires every single person to be on the same page as you, which any amount of reason inform you is never going to happen.
Questionner
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:31:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 12:02:55 PM, andymcstab wrote:
Talking about the need for laws in society requires every single person to be on the same page as you.

Nonsense. In the current system we live in, people have differing opinions and yet there are still laws, aren't there?
Questionner
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:41:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 12:02:55 PM, andymcstab wrote:
At 5/12/2014 2:44:09 PM, Questionner wrote:
Everything is not permitted under atheism. Or at least not that much more than with religion.

Societies need laws to function, no matter whether the society is atheistic or not, and so does religion.

With religion, doing something God deems wrong leads you to hell. In an atheistic society, doing something popularly deemed wrong leads you to jail (or capital punishment).

Same principle.

Everything is permitted in atheism because there is no foundation to distinguish "right" from "wrong".

If everything was permitted, atheists would want a lawless society and most of them don't. If there are laws, then there must logically be a foundation for making them. I've explained the golden rule to you so many times and yet you refuse to let go of your erroneous belief.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 1:03:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 12:41:37 PM, Questionner wrote:
At 5/13/2014 12:02:55 PM, andymcstab wrote:
At 5/12/2014 2:44:09 PM, Questionner wrote:
Everything is not permitted under atheism. Or at least not that much more than with religion.

Societies need laws to function, no matter whether the society is atheistic or not, and so does religion.

With religion, doing something God deems wrong leads you to hell. In an atheistic society, doing something popularly deemed wrong leads you to jail (or capital punishment).

Same principle.

Everything is permitted in atheism because there is no foundation to distinguish "right" from "wrong".

If everything was permitted, atheists would want a lawless society and most of them don't. If there are laws, then there must logically be a foundation for making them. I've explained the golden rule to you so many times and yet you refuse to let go of your erroneous belief.

Yes. you can use the argument that a law doesn't permit you to do such things such as rape or murder, and under such laws everybody has a duty to abide by them. But under atheism which only recognizes the law as the highest authority, the law is not grounded in anything but the decisions of the people, and when people decide differently then the law can be changed.
Fanath
Posts: 830
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 1:22:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM, n7 wrote:
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!

We can have objective moral values with atheism.
Dude... Stop...
Questionner
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 1:33:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 1:03:46 PM, johnlubba wrote:
At 5/13/2014 12:41:37 PM, Questionner wrote:
At 5/13/2014 12:02:55 PM, andymcstab wrote:
At 5/12/2014 2:44:09 PM, Questionner wrote:
Everything is not permitted under atheism. Or at least not that much more than with religion.

Societies need laws to function, no matter whether the society is atheistic or not, and so does religion.

With religion, doing something God deems wrong leads you to hell. In an atheistic society, doing something popularly deemed wrong leads you to jail (or capital punishment).

Same principle.

Everything is permitted in atheism because there is no foundation to distinguish "right" from "wrong".

If everything was permitted, atheists would want a lawless society and most of them don't. If there are laws, then there must logically be a foundation for making them. I've explained the golden rule to you so many times and yet you refuse to let go of your erroneous belief.


Yes. you can use the argument that a law doesn't permit you to do such things such as rape or murder, and under such laws everybody has a duty to abide by them. But under atheism which only recognizes the law as the highest authority, the law is not grounded in anything but the decisions of the people, and when people decide differently then the law can be changed.

True, but if (moral) laws are grounded in the decisions of the people, it is grounded in something, so it's erroneous to say that atheistic morality "has no foundation" like andymcstab is saying.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 2:22:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM, n7 wrote:
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!

How is that the Mcgurk effect. Becuase you are saying Atheism but I'm hearing Anarchy?
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 2:26:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
lol, it was a joke everyome.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 2:31:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 2:22:00 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM, n7 wrote:
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!

How is that the Mcgurk effect. Becuase you are saying Atheism but I'm hearing Anarchy?

Not audio wise, one can see the same thing but perceive it differently. I heard this when listening to a lecture on Nietzsche and thought it was pretty funny.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 2:45:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
You realize there exists secular moral philosophies, correct?

This is the one I follow:
Morals are subjective on an individual level. A person's morals are their own. They are developed primarily through empathy. Humans are social beings, so morality is not a good thing to base actions off of, so what we base actions off of are ethics and evidence. Ethics are commonly shared morals. The overwhelming majority of people find murder wrong, so people should not murder. Evidence comes in in places like racial superiority, homosexuality, etc. Evidence says all people are people, no race is better than another. Evidence points to homosexuality being natural. this means that racial superiority should not exist in societies, and that equal rights for homosexuals should exist in societies. Ethics can change, whether for the better or not is subjective, and more evidence can be found. This is why "morality" can also change.

Morality exists independent from God, which means that atheist does not permit anything, it just doesn't threaten you with ETERNAL damnation if you do something wrong.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 5:06:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 2:22:00 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM, n7 wrote:
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!

How is that the Mcgurk effect. Becuase you are saying Atheism but I'm hearing Anarchy?
Ditto.

At 5/13/2014 2:26:21 PM, n7 wrote:
lol, it was a joke everyome.
Not a very coherent one.

At 5/13/2014 2:45:27 PM, SNP1 wrote:
...Humans are social beings, so morality is not a good thing to base actions off of, so what we base actions off of are ethics and evidence.
I disagree: I think morals are a good thing to base actions from.

Ethics are commonly shared morals.
Seems to me you're saying that ethics are simply popular morals. This would mean that there's a false distinction then.

The overwhelming majority of people find murder wrong, so people should not murder.
And so if the overwhelming majority of people thought murder was not wrong, then it would be ethical or moral? Naw, don't think so.

Evidence comes in in places like racial superiority, homosexuality, etc. Evidence says all people are people, no race is better than another.
Well, it depends what evidence you are referring to and what exactly it is you are measuring. I can assure you that their is plenty of evidence to suggest vast differences between the races: some good, some bad.

Evidence points to homosexuality being natural. this means that racial superiority should not exist in societies, and that equal rights for homosexuals should exist in societies.
Wow! What a very verbose non sequitor! Human homosexuality is not natural, it is a deviation from the norm. If you are referring to homosexuality in nature, this is quite different from human homosexuality. Also, many things that are alien to humanity occur in nature: eating of the young, killing and eating of a mate, etc. Racial superiority simply on the merits of race is not much of an argument and has no scientific support.

Ethics can change, whether for the better or not is subjective, and more evidence can be found. This is why "morality" can also change.
If it is subjective, then we wouldn't know if it changed for the better or worse...

Morality exists independent from God, which means that atheist does not permit anything, it just doesn't threaten you with ETERNAL damnation if you do something wrong.
Some morality CAN exist independent of God but it doesn't mean ALL morality can.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 9:25:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 5:06:01 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 5/13/2014 2:22:00 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM, n7 wrote:
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!

How is that the Mcgurk effect. Becuase you are saying Atheism but I'm hearing Anarchy?
Ditto.

At 5/13/2014 2:26:21 PM, n7 wrote:
lol, it was a joke everyome.
Not a very coherent one.

Two different interpretations for the same thing, quite coherent.
At 5/13/2014 2:45:27 PM, SNP1 wrote:
...Humans are social beings, so morality is not a good thing to base actions off of, so what we base actions off of are ethics and evidence.
I disagree: I think morals are a good thing to base actions from.

Ethics are commonly shared morals.
Seems to me you're saying that ethics are simply popular morals. This would mean that there's a false distinction then.

The overwhelming majority of people find murder wrong, so people should not murder.
And so if the overwhelming majority of people thought murder was not wrong, then it would be ethical or moral? Naw, don't think so.

Evidence comes in in places like racial superiority, homosexuality, etc. Evidence says all people are people, no race is better than another.
Well, it depends what evidence you are referring to and what exactly it is you are measuring. I can assure you that their is plenty of evidence to suggest vast differences between the races: some good, some bad.

Evidence points to homosexuality being natural. this means that racial superiority should not exist in societies, and that equal rights for homosexuals should exist in societies.
Wow! What a very verbose non sequitor! Human homosexuality is not natural, it is a deviation from the norm. If you are referring to homosexuality in nature, this is quite different from human homosexuality. Also, many things that are alien to humanity occur in nature: eating of the young, killing and eating of a mate, etc. Racial superiority simply on the merits of race is not much of an argument and has no scientific support.

Ethics can change, whether for the better or not is subjective, and more evidence can be found. This is why "morality" can also change.
If it is subjective, then we wouldn't know if it changed for the better or worse...

Morality exists independent from God, which means that atheist does not permit anything, it just doesn't threaten you with ETERNAL damnation if you do something wrong.
Some morality CAN exist independent of God but it doesn't mean ALL morality can.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 8:44:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM, n7 wrote:
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!

Works both ways.........

If you believe something is Gods will, it doesn't matter how cruel, or how unjust it seems, or how contrary it is to your own moral reasoning.

Kill them, kill them all, thus saith the Lord.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 10:42:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2014 8:44:54 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM, n7 wrote:
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!

Works both ways.........

If you believe something is Gods will, it doesn't matter how cruel, or how unjust it seems, or how contrary it is to your own moral reasoning.


Kill them, kill them all, thus saith the Lord.

That's evil and awesome too. I guess any position is good, as long as I get to kill.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Objectivity
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:01:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM, n7 wrote:
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!

-The typical presupposition that you can only have morals if you believe in a fictional sky master

*sigh*
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 11:24:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/13/2014 9:25:30 PM, n7 wrote:
At 5/13/2014 5:06:01 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 5/13/2014 2:22:00 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM, n7 wrote:
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!

How is that the Mcgurk effect. Becuase you are saying Atheism but I'm hearing Anarchy?
Ditto.

At 5/13/2014 2:26:21 PM, n7 wrote:
lol, it was a joke everyome.
Not a very coherent one.
Two different interpretations for the same thing, quite coherent.
What was incoherent was how that relates to auditory illusion.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 12:41:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/14/2014 11:24:33 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 5/13/2014 9:25:30 PM, n7 wrote:
At 5/13/2014 5:06:01 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 5/13/2014 2:22:00 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/12/2014 10:54:25 AM, n7 wrote:
Why atheism is evil: On atheism everything is permitted.

Why atheism is awesome: On atheism everything is permitted.

Mcgurk effect!

How is that the Mcgurk effect. Becuase you are saying Atheism but I'm hearing Anarchy?
Ditto.

At 5/13/2014 2:26:21 PM, n7 wrote:
lol, it was a joke everyome.
Not a very coherent one.
Two different interpretations for the same thing, quite coherent.
What was incoherent was how that relates to auditory illusion.

You're taking it too literal (in fact pretty much everyone is taking this thread too literal). People can use it as figure of speech to refer to something that can have two interpretations depending on your background beliefs.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.