Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Meat or no meat? (Want to debate?)

kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?
Objectivity
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 11:23:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

Would it convince you if I told you that most animals would do the same to us if we were the inferior species?

This obviously being evidenced by the fact that animals eat other animals
Objectivity
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 11:24:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

Oh, and that if another animal were superior to us, they most likely would not take our supposed 'rights' in to account, as they already don't when they prey on their victims who serve as their meal for the day?
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 11:41:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/23/2014 11:24:19 AM, Objectivity wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

Oh, and that if another animal were superior to us, they most likely would not take our supposed 'rights' in to account, as they already don't when they prey on their victims who serve as their meal for the day?

An interesting argument. Do you want to debate this topic then?
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 3:29:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I can destroy your whole argument with one word.

Bacon.

Checkmate, vegetarian.
Raisor
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 9:51:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I would go Con "it is unethical to eat meat"
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 12:35:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/23/2014 9:51:07 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I would go Con "it is unethical to eat meat"

Yeah, but that's a complicated one. I really don't want the debate to be on the dead bodies separately from their worldly implications, but the live ones. However, I obviously wouldn't be opposed to a vegetarian debate, but I think we'd need to work on the wording. Maybe something with "on balance..."
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 4:58:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/23/2014 3:29:44 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I can destroy your whole argument with one word.

Bacon.

Checkmate, vegetarian.

Bacon is meat?? I thought it was manna from heaven.
Raisor
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 6:10:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/24/2014 12:35:54 AM, kbub wrote:
At 5/23/2014 9:51:07 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I would go Con "it is unethical to eat meat"

Yeah, but that's a complicated one. I really don't want the debate to be on the dead bodies separately from their worldly implications, but the live ones. However, I obviously wouldn't be opposed to a vegetarian debate, but I think we'd need to work on the wording. Maybe something with "on balance..."

"it is unethical to kill and eat animals" or something similar
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 6:35:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/24/2014 6:10:54 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/24/2014 12:35:54 AM, kbub wrote:
At 5/23/2014 9:51:07 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I would go Con "it is unethical to eat meat"

Yeah, but that's a complicated one. I really don't want the debate to be on the dead bodies separately from their worldly implications, but the live ones. However, I obviously wouldn't be opposed to a vegetarian debate, but I think we'd need to work on the wording. Maybe something with "on balance..."

"it is unethical to kill and eat animals" or something similar

"it is unethical for humans to kill animals for human consumption" and your on. But as long as we leave "ethical" undefined. Because there are so many ideas of ethics, it gets complicated to affirm a set definition for ethical. But we and the voters have an idea of what that means, so I don't think it'll be a problem.
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 6:39:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/24/2014 6:35:56 PM, kbub wrote:
At 5/24/2014 6:10:54 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/24/2014 12:35:54 AM, kbub wrote:
At 5/23/2014 9:51:07 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I would go Con "it is unethical to eat meat"

Yeah, but that's a complicated one. I really don't want the debate to be on the dead bodies separately from their worldly implications, but the live ones. However, I obviously wouldn't be opposed to a vegetarian debate, but I think we'd need to work on the wording. Maybe something with "on balance..."

"it is unethical to kill and eat animals" or something similar

"it is unethical for humans to kill animals for human consumption" and your on. But as long as we leave "ethical" undefined. Because there are so many ideas of ethics, it gets complicated to affirm a set definition for ethical. But we and the voters have an idea of what that means, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

It might also be good to have a "in general" clause. I'd prefer not to defend a desert island kill a cow to save a child obscure example. In such a case, having a human killing another human would controversial.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 8:57:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/23/2014 11:23:10 AM, Objectivity wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

Would it convince you if I told you that most animals would do the same to us if we were the inferior species?

This obviously being evidenced by the fact that animals eat other animals

That is because they are animals and have the mentality of animals and if we wish to be the same as them then we only have to be animals also.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 9:01:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/24/2014 6:10:54 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/24/2014 12:35:54 AM, kbub wrote:
At 5/23/2014 9:51:07 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I would go Con "it is unethical to eat meat"

Yeah, but that's a complicated one. I really don't want the debate to be on the dead bodies separately from their worldly implications, but the live ones. However, I obviously wouldn't be opposed to a vegetarian debate, but I think we'd need to work on the wording. Maybe something with "on balance..."

"it is unethical to kill and eat animals" or something similar

"it is unethical for civilized humans to kill and eat animals"
Raisor
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 5:40:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/26/2014 9:01:03 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 5/24/2014 6:10:54 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/24/2014 12:35:54 AM, kbub wrote:
At 5/23/2014 9:51:07 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I would go Con "it is unethical to eat meat"

Yeah, but that's a complicated one. I really don't want the debate to be on the dead bodies separately from their worldly implications, but the live ones. However, I obviously wouldn't be opposed to a vegetarian debate, but I think we'd need to work on the wording. Maybe something with "on balance..."

"it is unethical to kill and eat animals" or something similar


"it is unethical for civilized humans to kill and eat animals"

Uh, who are these uncivilized humans and why do different codes of ethics apply to them?
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 6:12:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/26/2014 5:40:59 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/26/2014 9:01:03 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 5/24/2014 6:10:54 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/24/2014 12:35:54 AM, kbub wrote:
At 5/23/2014 9:51:07 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I would go Con "it is unethical to eat meat"

Yeah, but that's a complicated one. I really don't want the debate to be on the dead bodies separately from their worldly implications, but the live ones. However, I obviously wouldn't be opposed to a vegetarian debate, but I think we'd need to work on the wording. Maybe something with "on balance..."

"it is unethical to kill and eat animals" or something similar


"it is unethical for civilized humans to kill and eat animals"

Uh, who are these uncivilized humans and why do different codes of ethics apply to them?

They are the ones eating the flesh of innocent animals when they have more than enough choices to eat non meat. Of course civilized people know how to conduct themselves and do their best to avoid slaughtering animals for the consumption of the flesh to satisfy their taste buds and palates.
mh
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 3:59:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

Absolutely, I would gladly defend the practice of eating meat.
MysticEgg
Posts: 524
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:51:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/23/2014 9:51:07 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

I would go Con "it is unethical to eat meat"

Better to go Pro on "It is ethical to eat meat".
numberwang
Posts: 1,917
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 11:15:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/26/2014 8:57:34 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 5/23/2014 11:23:10 AM, Objectivity wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

Would it convince you if I told you that most animals would do the same to us if we were the inferior species?

This obviously being evidenced by the fact that animals eat other animals

That is because they are animals and have the mentality of animals and if we wish to be the same as them then we only have to be animals also.

Since when were humans not animals? We're just smarter, that doesn't mean we're not animals.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 6:19:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 3:59:53 AM, mh wrote:
At 5/23/2014 12:12:54 AM, kbub wrote:
I'm a vegtarian. Anyone want to debate me on animal ethics, eating meat, veganism, animal rights, or something similar?

Absolutely, I would gladly defend the practice of eating meat.

You'd get slaughtered.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it