Jump to topic:

What is the meaning of life?

Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 5:53:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Life is valued as meaningful by the living, but since that constitutes a conflict of interest we must discount their testimony on the matter.
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 6:09:57 PM
If you're a theist the "meaning" of life resides in the mystery of God, as a Christian the meaning is unsure but the objective is clear.
It could be argued that because of the nature and desire of Humans to have relations and bond, that the Creator Himself possesses these attributes and thus is the "meaning" of our existence.

If you're A-theist, then there is no inherited "meaning" for life, no reason for our existence. However, that does not mean there are no reasons or meanings one can find to live their life...... We can create meaning and reason even if they are without substance, for our existence is unique and our desires are real even if they are temporal.
tahir.imanov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 9:11:33 PM
At 5/28/2014 3:15:20 PM, BasicLogic wrote:
The answer to life, the universe, everything, is 42
The worst sci-fi movie.

And the meaning of life is death.
This is red.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 11:28:25 PM

I'm sorry, but this has become so mundane that it doesn't even elicit a chuckle any longer. :-/
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 11:33:17 PM
At 5/28/2014 5:53:19 PM, Poetaster wrote:
Life is valued as meaningful by the living, but since that constitutes a conflict of interest we must discount their testimony on the matter.

I think it's a little more complicated than that. Some see life as something to be enjoyed, while others see it as something to be endured. Some see life as a passing of the torch, while others see their personal life as a means to an end. Now when you ask the question, "Does life have an objective worth," then everything changes. That relies upon ones own philosophy about what life is, where it came from, and possible of where it's going?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 11:36:00 PM
At 5/28/2014 9:11:33 PM, tahir.imanov wrote:
The worst sci-fi movie.

And the meaning of life is death.

The ending of life is death. That doesn't mean that the meaning of life is death. :)
BasicLogic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 11:36:39 PM
At 5/28/2014 11:28:25 PM, Idealist wrote:

I'm sorry, but this has become so mundane that it doesn't even elicit a chuckle any longer. :-/

Dammit.

Well I personally think our life is to give meaning to others. So yes, we live to continue living
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 11:40:48 PM
At 5/28/2014 11:36:39 PM, BasicLogic wrote:

Dammit.

Well I personally think our life is to give meaning to others. So yes, we live to continue living

lol - I have two daughters who have been giving me that answer for about five years now.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 11:49:44 PM

Dammit.

That's actually very true, and very worth considering. It amazes me sometimes how we can forget to meaning we have to others. I'm 51, and yet if my parents divorced even now it would tear me apart. Yet I tend to forget the effect my own divorce had on my children. Maybe I need to be taken behind the woodshed. :P
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 3:11:21 AM
Chocolate Milk. I confess it is food for the soul.

Meaning is what the sender communicates, or conveys in their message to the receiver, and what the receiver infers from the current context.

If life is the message who then is the sender of life?

With out knowing the sender of life you can not discern it's context.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 4:52:43 AM
At 5/28/2014 3:04:11 PM, nathanabbey wrote:
Is there a meaning for life? if so what is it?

The meaning of life is completely subjective. As a solipsist, there is no objective meaning of life.

However IF you believe in a god, then you can bet that god is going to force a meaning of life up your an*$ and whether or not you enjoy that is not up to you.

IF you don't and you are a materialist (or just believe in science) then the meaning of life is just the meaning you put into it.
Basically, if a person believes there is no god, that person is the one who decides the meaning of life. Based on their life experience, they can determine a special definition or belief of what life is all about.

The meaning I gave it? To be honest to yourself and master the universe. Ride all the dinosaurs, give CPRs and be at peace with others.

Life is to be enjoyed, life is to be considered, life is to appreciated. But most of all, life is to be lived, to the greatest potential.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 11:12:07 AM

The meaning of life is the re-awakening of the souls original relationship with God.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 12:16:05 PM

It is the universe's consciousness.

The awakening of matter.

The realization of self.

Life is significant in the sense that existence is significant. In other words, we are, and that we are, is meaningful in and of itself.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 12:39:32 PM
At 6/2/2014 12:16:05 PM, Such wrote:

It is the universe's consciousness.

The awakening of matter.

The realization of self.

Life is significant in the sense that existence is significant. In other words, we are, and that we are, is meaningful in and of itself.

+1
BasicLogic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 1:17:58 PM
At 5/28/2014 11:40:48 PM, Idealist wrote:

Dammit.

lol - I have two daughters who have been giving me that answer for about five years now.
That's because I am your daughter... You are my father
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 4:29:02 PM

You are the only person who can give it meaning. Asking someone else is pointless. You get out of life what you put into it. Listening to people philosophize about it is a waste of life, that you can be sure of.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 9:24:59 PM
At 6/2/2014 1:17:58 PM, BasicLogic wrote:
At 5/28/2014 11:40:48 PM, Idealist wrote:

Dammit.

That's because I am your daughter... You are my father

Well, as you (my daughter) would say: that's just creepy! lol
creedhunt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 10:30:17 AM
At 6/2/2014 4:29:02 PM, sadolite wrote:

You are the only person who can give it meaning. Asking someone else is pointless. You get out of life what you put into it. Listening to people philosophize about it is a waste of life, that you can be sure of.

The problem with this is that then the question becomes about what meanings are the best to create. If all meanings are equal, then Buridan's Donkey principle dictates that meaningful lives are still meaningless.
Also, what if the meaning of your life is to find a meaning to life? You said it would be a waste, but you are clearly not understanding the full implications of existentialism.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 11:34:33 AM
At 6/3/2014 10:30:17 AM, creedhunt wrote:

The problem with this is that then the question becomes about what meanings are the best to create. If all meanings are equal, then Buridan's Donkey principle dictates that meaningful lives are still meaningless.

Value is given, by the appraiser; saying all values are equal is meaningless. However, something is meaningful, as defined by that which is meaningless.

Also, what if the meaning of your life is to find a meaning to life? You said it would be a waste, but you are clearly not understanding the full implications of existentialism.

Knowing meaning can only make sense, in as much as it is unknown.
HumbleThinker1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 1:27:32 PM

Whose meaning for you do you want? God's? Your mother's? Your government? Your own? You'd have to ask those people/deities.
creedhunt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 6:31:47 PM
At 6/3/2014 11:34:33 AM, s-anthony wrote:

Value is given, by the appraiser; saying all values are equal is meaningless. However, something is meaningful, as defined by that which is meaningless.

What is meaning, then? The mere meaning of the word meaning is subjective, then I fail to see what point you are making. The difference between meaningful and meaningless has to have some sort of constistency, or else they are useless terms. I could really use some clarification here.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 8:36:56 PM
At 6/3/2014 10:30:17 AM, creedhunt wrote:

"Listening to people philosophize about it is a waste of life, that you can be sure of."
I don't have to understands anything about what you think life means. I don't have to consider anything you say about life. You can't live my life. The only thing that matters is what I think it means. You only do exactly what said, waste my time talking in circular pointlessness.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 10:54:52 PM
At 6/3/2014 6:31:47 PM, creedhunt wrote:
At 6/3/2014 11:34:33 AM, s-anthony wrote:

What is meaning, then? The mere meaning of the word meaning is subjective, then I fail to see what point you are making. The difference between meaningful and meaningless has to have some sort of constistency, or else they are useless terms. I could really use some clarification here.

The point is it is subjective; it's relative, to you. Meaning is coherent, in as much as it makes sense, to you; and, something is meaningful, only, in the context of that which is meaningless.
creedhunt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 7:31:32 PM
At 6/3/2014 8:36:56 PM, sadolite wrote:

"Listening to people philosophize about it is a waste of life, that you can be sure of."
I don't have to understands anything about what you think life means. I don't have to consider anything you say about life. You can't live my life. The only thing that matters is what I think it means. You only do exactly what said, waste my time talking in circular pointlessness.

I think you are missing my point.
It doesn't matter, in and of itself what I think about what life means, or what you think life means to either of us in the same way.
What does matter, is what it actually means and how close your life is to obtaining or resembling what it needs to resemble. Can you honestly say that listening to others' or your own ideas about that won't help with that?

Also, about the circularity (if you can be bothered to consider this a little more), the point was a little more relevant than you might have thought. You are trying to say, that taking other people's philisophical advice is worthless because nobody else can dictate how value works for somebody. I'm just saying that such a suggestion is complete rubbish, as you are trying to dictate another's values by telling them that dictated values are worthless. Please correct me if I have misinterpreted something.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:03:09 PM
At 6/4/2014 7:31:32 PM, creedhunt wrote:
At 6/3/2014 8:36:56 PM, sadolite wrote:

I think you are missing my point.
It doesn't matter, in and of itself what I think about what life means, or what you think life means to either of us in the same way.
What does matter, is what it actually means and how close your life is to obtaining or resembling what it needs to resemble. Can you honestly say that listening to others' or your own ideas about that won't help with that?

Also, about the circularity (if you can be bothered to consider this a little more), the point was a little more relevant than you might have thought. You are trying to say, that taking other people's philisophical advice is worthless because nobody else can dictate how value works for somebody. I'm just saying that such a suggestion is complete rubbish, as you are trying to dictate another's values by telling them that dictated values are worthless. Please correct me if I have misinterpreted something.

Nothing you have said changes anything about my life or how I perceive it. I think you mistake taking advice on how to deal with day to day problems as the meaning of life. Again the only person that can define the meaning of life is the individual, as no one else can live another persons life. The are 7 billion different meaning to life on this planet.

creedhunt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:08:19 PM
At 6/3/2014 10:54:52 PM, s-anthony wrote:

The point is it is subjective; it's relative, to you. Meaning is coherent, in as much as it makes sense, to you; and, something is meaningful, only, in the context of that which is meaningless.

If meaning is what has value, however subjective the method and placement conserning said meaning is, then obtaining as much of that value as possible is what's objectively meaningful. If actions are taken for the sake of a subjective meaning, and that ultimately results in a deterioration of the objective meaning, then said actions would be wrong. They would be wrong despite the resulting subjective value.

So there are objectively superior ways of being, and if there weren't, there wouldn't be subjective value. This is muddled a bit, though, I could have explained my thoughts better.