Jump to topic:

Books on Philosophy

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2014 9:06:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm sure this topic has already been made before, but I'm too lazy to go through DDO's crappy search function to find those threads. Anyway, I'm looking for a good book on introductory philosophy. I understand the basics of philosophy, such as the basics or beliefs of major philosophers and different philosophical question, so I'm not looking for something that is for someone who knows nothing about philosophy. I'm looking for a book that gives an overarching view of philosophy.

Assuming that's not too confusing, I would really appreciate your input. Also, where should I go after that?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2014 9:19:01 PM
At 6/15/2014 9:06:14 PM, Subutai wrote:
I'm sure this topic has already been made before, but I'm too lazy to go through DDO's crappy search function to find those threads. Anyway, I'm looking for a good book on introductory philosophy. I understand the basics of philosophy, such as the basics or beliefs of major philosophers and different philosophical question, so I'm not looking for something that is for someone who knows nothing about philosophy. I'm looking for a book that gives an overarching view of philosophy.

Assuming that's not too confusing, I would really appreciate your input. Also, where should I go after that?

http://www.amazon.com...
I've heard it's good. Still need to get around to reading it.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2014 10:32:14 PM
Problems of philosophy by Bertrand Russell is a good one. It's now offered free too.

Any guidebook from the great courses is good, but you already know about them.

I hear "A history of philosophy without any gaps" is good

http://ukcatalogue.oup.com...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2014 10:36:05 PM

I have been shying away from ancient and industrial philosophers. You might enjoy early 1900's philosophers. Their message is much more relevant, and like always, many were extremely under rated.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 5:52:54 AM
The Story of Philosophy, by Will Durant is a classic that I'd recommend.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:21:20 AM
I'm reading A Treatise in Human Nature by David Hume right now. It's not an easy read. I have to keep running to the dictionary, because he uses outdated words like 'Betwixt'.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:36:29 AM
At 6/16/2014 6:21:20 AM, Wylted wrote:
I'm reading A Treatise in Human Nature by David Hume right now. It's not an easy read. I have to keep running to the dictionary, because he uses outdated words like 'Betwixt'.

I'm surprised you aren't reading about the philosophy of Albert Pike. (cough)
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:43:52 AM
At 6/16/2014 6:36:29 AM, Haroush wrote:

I'm surprised you aren't reading about the philosophy of Albert Pike. (cough)

Maybe something partially inspired by him. I'm reading some of Aleister Crowley's fictional stuff.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 9:24:36 AM
"Philosophy: The Quest for Truth," by Louis Pojman

You might also try an anthology like. . .

"Introduction to Philosophy: Classical and Contemporary Readings," by Louis Pojman

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 8:40:12 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to look at the two Bertrand Russell books simply because they talk about the history and the problems instead of just one or the other.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 9:25:42 PM
At 6/15/2014 9:19:01 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I've heard it's good. Still need to get around to reading it.

You beat me to it, lol. Definitely a classic.

I've heard its good too, and I love Russell's style, but I do believe it's rather biased and just plain wrong when it comes to Aristotle/Aquinas. At least from reading other of Russell's stuff, he's completely clueless when it comes to Aristotelianism.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 9:29:29 PM

I hate David Hume so much. If he's a nominalist, then what in the hell is he doing writing "a treatise on human nature"? Merely describing the thoughts of a plump Scottsman perhaps?

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 9:40:02 PM
At 6/16/2014 9:29:29 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

I hate David Hume so much. If he's a nominalist, then what in the hell is he doing writing "a treatise on human nature"? Merely describing the thoughts of a plump Scottsman perhaps?

I don't know anything about his philosophy past the first chapter. I assumed his work was essential reading to the aspiring philosopher.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 9:42:07 PM
At 6/16/2014 9:40:02 PM, Wylted wrote:

I don't know anything about his philosophy past the first chapter. I assumed his work was essential reading to the aspiring philosopher.

True. I just think that if he doesn't believe in essences of forms, then it sounds kindof funny to say "A Treatise on Human Nature" because human nature = an essence.

Anyways, it's really good that you're reading first hand philosophy. I wish I had the time to do that myself...

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 12:37:48 AM

It is. Though I would recommend An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding over the Treatise. The Enquiry was more of a revision of the first. It's also easier to read and focuses on the most important aspects of his philosophy. The Treatise had little impact in the press--he was aiming for an uproar--so he dispensed with allot of the old material and emphasized the important points. It's also more influential.

I haven't read the Treatise, just to add.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 12:44:14 AM
At 6/17/2014 12:37:48 AM, phantom wrote:

It is. Though I would recommend An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding over the Treatise. The Enquiry was more of a revision of the first. It's also easier to read and focuses on the most important aspects of his philosophy. The Treatise had little impact in the press--he was aiming for an uproar--so he dispensed with allot of the old material and emphasized the important points. It's also more influential.

I wish you told me that before I bought this one
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 12:48:54 AM
At 6/17/2014 12:44:14 AM, Wylted wrote:

I would have if you had asked. Anyway, no reason to spend money on old philosophy books. http://www.earlymoderntexts.com...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 6:26:55 AM
Download a pdf copy of Aristotles organons. He was the first human to think, and he wrote the best of those thoughts down, actually high level text material you study for uni.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Ajab
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 10:09:15 AM
At 6/17/2014 12:44:14 AM, Wylted wrote:

Stay proud, Hume in his letter to Rosseau asserts that the Inquiry was simply a summary, he always called the Treatise his magnum opus. The Inquiry has the same ideas, but in a more complex way. The Treatise is better.
I would debate this with phantom by analysing both :)
#StandWithBossy
#Addison/Blade-of-Truth: I slapped a girl on the arse once with a piece of uncooked chicken, things got weird.
You threw it away, right? -Ajab
Oh lord did you eat it?
...maybe!