Jump to topic:

Confidence is Found in Weakness

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 5:22:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As a young man, I took a class in typing; I was told to focus on the composition and not the keyboard; nevertheless, I did that which I was asked not to do, for fear of making a mistake. This slowed down my typing, tremendously. Not until I took jobs that required typing did I force myself to look away from the keyboard in an effort to increase my speed. Not only did this increase my speed it increased my accuracy, also. In striving for confidence in accuracy, I was actually making more mistakes. It wasn't until I did that which I feared did my typing improve.

One of my first jobs was working as a teacher's aide. All the teachers and their aides were required to attend a workshop. In the workshop, we were asked to focus on our strengths, at the expense of our weaknesses. For the longest time, I believed if only I had a single-mindedness for my strengths, my weaknesses would take care of themselves.

However, today, while walking to the library, I wondered about the attention it requires to maintain a house. If the homeowner neglected the upkeep of the house and only focused on the things he, or she, liked about the house, over the course of time, the house would fall into dilapidation.

Secondly, I thought about my health. If I neglected the signs and symptoms of disease, the disease would not disappear, for lack of concern. It would grow and fester and with time, it would lead to death.

So, in each case, focusing on uncertainty, wear and tear of one's home, and sickness and disease, the problem is not made larger; yet, it is led to resolution. It is in acknowledging our weaknesses, we are made strong; in facing our insecurities, we find confidence; and, accepting our doubts, we find hope.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 4:25:28 AM
At 6/18/2014 5:22:41 PM, s-anthony wrote:
As a young man, I took a class in typing; I was told to focus on the composition and not the keyboard; nevertheless, I did that which I was asked not to do, for fear of making a mistake. This slowed down my typing, tremendously. Not until I took jobs that required typing did I force myself to look away from the keyboard in an effort to increase my speed. Not only did this increase my speed it increased my accuracy, also. In striving for confidence in accuracy, I was actually making more mistakes. It wasn't until I did that which I feared did my typing improve.

One of my first jobs was working as a teacher's aide. All the teachers and their aides were required to attend a workshop. In the workshop, we were asked to focus on our strengths, at the expense of our weaknesses. For the longest time, I believed if only I had a single-mindedness for my strengths, my weaknesses would take care of themselves.

However, today, while walking to the library, I wondered about the attention it requires to maintain a house. If the homeowner neglected the upkeep of the house and only focused on the things he, or she, liked about the house, over the course of time, the house would fall into dilapidation.

Secondly, I thought about my health. If I neglected the signs and symptoms of disease, the disease would not disappear, for lack of concern. It would grow and fester and with time, it would lead to death.

So, in each case, focusing on uncertainty, wear and tear of one's home, and sickness and disease, the problem is not made larger; yet, it is led to resolution. It is in acknowledging our weaknesses, we are made strong; in facing our insecurities, we find confidence; and, accepting our doubts, we find hope.

Yes I interpret it as "your weakness is your strength". This sentence seems illogical at first but think about a crack pot which is not useful in a way but is useful in giving water to growing flowers along its way. But 90/10 rule can't be ignored if we'll think more about our weaknesses we'll be more acting like that. Hence differentiation between weakness and fault is mandatory. Recognizing mistakes and faults helps to improve actually but thinking weakness as bad is another bad. Make your weakness your confidence by thinking it your strength of uniqueness. But again never underestimate your faults, try to remove them.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 8:14:32 AM
At 6/19/2014 4:25:28 AM, Dazz wrote:

Yes I interpret it as "your weakness is your strength". This sentence seems illogical at first but think about a crack pot which is not useful in a way but is useful in giving water to growing flowers along its way. But 90/10 rule can't be ignored if we'll think more about our weaknesses we'll be more acting like that. Hence differentiation between weakness and fault is mandatory. Recognizing mistakes and faults helps to improve actually but thinking weakness as bad is another bad. Make your weakness your confidence by thinking it your strength of uniqueness. But again never underestimate your faults, try to remove them.

As I was reading your response, I read the second sentence's saying, "...think about a crack pot..." and for some reason, I thought you were going to say think about a crack head. So, I thought you're right; crack whores and pot heads, and any other drug addicts, spend most of their lives, trying to suppress feelings of inadequacies; however, their avoidance only exacerbates their problems. Through suppression, they stunt their emotional growth.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 9:22:10 AM

I believe we must make friends, of ourselves, and by making friends, I don't mean with that part of our selves in which we're already in love; I mean that part we hate and despise; for, you can't befriend, that which you've already befriended. In hating ourselves, we hate our weaknesses and inadequacies. It is only in making peace with our enemies do they become our allies. We must not be gods of war and further the divide; for, in doing so, we create division and conflict, within ourselves. We must be our own redeemers, loving our lost and fallen humanity.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 9:54:59 AM
At 6/19/2014 9:22:10 AM, s-anthony wrote:

I believe we must make friends, of ourselves, and by making friends, I don't mean with that part of our selves in which we're already in love; I mean that part we hate and despise; for, you can't befriend, that which you've already befriended. In hating ourselves, we hate our weaknesses and inadequacies. It is only in making peace with our enemies do they become our allies. We must not be gods of war and further the divide; for, in doing so, we create division and conflict, within ourselves. We must be our own redeemers, loving our lost and fallen humanity.

One way to get in love with ourselves is to spread love around. Once we start caring of either others are comfortable with ourselves or not, we can divert our focus from pessimistic view to struggling ambition. Now if we think more about others' peace, we can feel it inside our own-selves too. Like every coin has flip-side, loving own-self doesn't mean to prioritize yourself. It means if you love yourself, then you trust yourself, and only then you're capable to "think" that you can make a difference. Though actually making a difference is a second step, only to think like that is itself a big change that can be used as emotional power to redeem the lost humanity.
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 10:14:36 AM
Also if we accept our weakness by recognizing it properly, it boosts up our confidence level because a known weakness is no more weakness. Rather it can be used as our strategic stunt. If we're unaware or deliberately not accepting a weakness that is dangerous, otherwise submission to accept faults is a step-back before guilt. Using our strengths against threats and managing weaknesses by opportunities, can be the solution. Anyhow, world had been experiencing, weak are lucky for not being a tyrant or oppressor. Strong had to do the efforts to learn how to use the power (in best possible interest or way).
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 1:00:59 PM
At 6/19/2014 9:54:59 AM, Dazz wrote:

One way to get in love with ourselves is to spread love around. Once we start caring of either others are comfortable with ourselves or not, we can divert our focus from pessimistic view to struggling ambition. Now if we think more about others' peace, we can feel it inside our own-selves too. Like every coin has flip-side, loving own-self doesn't mean to prioritize yourself. It means if you love yourself, then you trust yourself, and only then you're capable to "think" that you can make a difference. Though actually making a difference is a second step, only to think like that is itself a big change that can be used as emotional power to redeem the lost humanity.

I don't think we put the peace of others, above that of our own; I believe, firstly, we must make peace, with ourselves. It's in finding that inner peace that allows us to be peacemakers. The journey starts, with each individual.

I love how you said we love ourselves, before we can trust ourselves. Plato said knowledge was the mother of all virtues; however, in thinking of that, for, the longest time, I thought it to be true. For, how can you love something unknown? Yet, lately, I've come to the conclusion, that which is unknown, to us, is indeed known. Too often, we speak about the unknown as though it were something; we give it form and definition; we say, "I know this but not that." How can we know that which we don't know? It's a contradiction. Our lives are riddled, with contradiction. However, it's contradiction that gives us meaning; for, in contradiction, there can only be that which is and that which isn't. In accepting that which isn't, we accept the unknown; and, that which is unknown is made known.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 7:57:35 AM
At 6/19/2014 1:00:59 PM, s-anthony wrote:

I don't think we put the peace of others, above that of our own; I believe, firstly, we must make peace, with ourselves. It's in finding that inner peace that allows us to be peacemakers. The journey starts, with each individual.
How can you teach someone to start loving one's own self (to build confidence or trust)? Or ask someone to try to create inner peace, what's the instrument of cure?

I love how you said we love ourselves, before we can trust ourselves. Plato said knowledge was the mother of all virtues; however, in thinking of that, for, the longest time, I thought it to be true. For, how can you love something unknown? Yet, lately, I've come to the conclusion, that which is unknown, to us, is indeed known. Too often, we speak about the unknown as though it were something; we give it form and definition; we say, "I know this but not that." How can we know that which we don't know? It's a contradiction. Our lives are riddled, with contradiction. However, it's contradiction that gives us meaning; for, in contradiction, there can only be that which is and that which isn't. In accepting that which isn't, we accept the unknown; and, that which is unknown is made known.
Are you talking about "Self-awareness"?
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 9:10:00 AM
At 6/20/2014 7:57:35 AM, Dazz wrote:
At 6/19/2014 1:00:59 PM, s-anthony wrote:
As a young man, I took a class in typing; I was told to focus on the composition and not the keyboard; nevertheless, I d59;id that which I was asked not to do, for fear of making a mistake. This slowed down my typing, tremendously. Not until I took jobs that required typing did I force myself to look away from the keyboard in an effort to increase my speed. Not only did this increase my speed it increased my accuracy, also. In striving for confidence in accuracy, I was actually making more mistakes. It wasn't until I did that which I feared did my typing improve.

How can you teach someone to start loving one's own self (to build confidence or trust)? Or ask someone to try to create inner peace, what's the instrument of cure?

I don't believe we can teach anyone anything. Each of us has his, or her, own reality. In as much as we agree, with each other, there is oneness; and, as there is oneness, there is no you or me. We are defined by our differences; we find meaning in contradiction. The goal must be to love and accept, that which we hate and deny. In doing so, we create peace. You cannot create peace, in which peace already exists; you cannot unify that which is not divided; you cannot create, into one, that which is single.

Are you talking about "Self-awareness"?

I'm talking about knowing the self, in the context of that which is not the self.