Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Has philosophy strengthened your beliefs?

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2014 9:06:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Has your study of philosophy strengthened or weakened your beliefs?

Perhaps you should first state your beliefs, such as religion, views of morality, etc. etc. and explain how philosophy has either strengthened or weakened them.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 1:03:09 AM
At 6/25/2014 9:06:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Perhaps you should first state your beliefs, such as religion, views of morality, etc. etc. and explain how philosophy has either strengthened or weakened them.

Though my study of philosophy is weak, I view philosophy as logic. As a Catholic, I view faith and logic intertwined.

As I was brought up Catholic I knew the rules, but not much else. When young you did X because you were told to. While philosophy alone is insufficient to answer everything, I find that it is a logical explanation that helps to anchor my understanding in principles.
GOD-vs-ITSELF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 2:13:14 AM
At 6/25/2014 9:06:27 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

-Atheist, skeptic, and feel I have no free will
-Morality can only be characterized by what shouldn't be Immoral.

Philosophy has allowed me to be honest about what I don't know. What I don't know ranges from knowing where everything has been for all eternity, to why being unable to choose my first thought means I do not have free will.
If You Believe In Free Will, Then Don't Picture A Hippo For One Minute. Starting NOW
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 3:26:14 AM
Neither..

Perhaps strengthened because virtually all the arguments for God I can see are riddled with holes, and it becomes increasingly obvious theologians are starting with a conclusion and working towards it, instead of the other way around - not a good sign for a sound discovery/hypothesis.

The fact that I can watch apologists (and atheists) now and facepalm at so many things they say just makes me think that not many people are swayed by the philosophy. They believe for other reasons, and then later try to justify them.

In the quest for truth, I see science as more of a tool, and probably the best tool for testing the soundness of premises. And that reasoning outside out scope of experience (such as how the KCA does) is inevitably going to get the wrong answer.

If God exists, he will be found, not assumed. That's what I think.

Philosophy is much more useful for constructing arguments within our limits of experience, and for use in moral issues, deducing cause and effect, finding where the key assumptions are, etc.

If I ever do become a theist again, it almost certainly will not be a Christian one, as I don't see that position as a tenable one at all purely because it's claims AREA within our limits of experience.

... Also spontaneous creation ex nihilo has caught my interest now. It seems plausible that the universe could come out of nothing - luckily I never have to argue this when arguing against God...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 7:47:58 AM
It has strengthened and weakened.

My views on God were strengthened after studying moral philosopher and arriving at the conclusion that we are essentially atoms in a universe with absolutely no meaning or right to life. I favoured the incompatibilist philosophy because it had the stronger case.

My views as to egalitarianism were weakened. I have stumbled on many arguments as to why equality is evidentially false, but considered true in the teeth of evidence to the contrary, which reinforced my beliefs that we actually require a supernaturalistic explanation to justify giving rights to others when we could simply murder them and take their land.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 7:59:01 AM
Depends how you classify my beliefs. They change quite a lot.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!