Jump to topic:

A Hypothetical, Ethical Situation

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 10:24:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I created this myself, although I wouldn't doubt that something very similar to this exists. Read the entire thing then discuss what you would do in such a situation.
-
You are standing in a field that stretches for infinity in all directions. In every other square foot of the field is a treasure chest. This means there is an infinite amount of treasure chests spanning in all directions. 3 out of the infinite amount of treasure chests contains 3 of the most terrible things. Chest 1 will cause the world to be plunged into chaos and evil, although humanity may recover with time. Chest 2 will send you to Hell for eternity. Chest 3 will send every living human being to Hell for eternity. In addition to these 3 malevolent chests, there are 3 benevolent chests. Chest 1 will create peace and love among the entire world, although humanity may lose it. Chest 2 will send you to Heaven for all eternity. Chest 3 will send every living human being to Heaven for all of eternity. Every other chest accept these 6 contains something good, but on a much MUCH smaller magnitude. For example, one chest may give you 5$, or an apple, or give a random man somewhere in the world a meal. You may choose to open as many chests as you want. If you do not choose to open any chests or are satisfied with the amount you have opened you will be returned to your normal life to never have a chance to open any chest ever again. You may spend as long as you want in the field.

Do you choose to open any chests?
-
Nolite Timere
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 10:41:24 PM
At 6/26/2014 10:24:18 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
I created this myself, although I wouldn't doubt that something very similar to this exists. Read the entire thing then discuss what you would do in such a situation.
-
You are standing in a field that stretches for infinity in all directions. In every other square foot of the field is a treasure chest. This means there is an infinite amount of treasure chests spanning in all directions. 3 out of the infinite amount of treasure chests contains 3 of the most terrible things. Chest 1 will cause the world to be plunged into chaos and evil, although humanity may recover with time. Chest 2 will send you to Hell for eternity. Chest 3 will send every living human being to Hell for eternity. In addition to these 3 malevolent chests, there are 3 benevolent chests. Chest 1 will create peace and love among the entire world, although humanity may lose it. Chest 2 will send you to Heaven for all eternity. Chest 3 will send every living human being to Heaven for all of eternity. Every other chest accept these 6 contains something good, but on a much MUCH smaller magnitude. For example, one chest may give you 5$, or an apple, or give a random man somewhere in the world a meal. You may choose to open as many chests as you want. If you do not choose to open any chests or are satisfied with the amount you have opened you will be returned to your normal life to never have a chance to open any chest ever again. You may spend as long as you want in the field.

-

Statistically speaking, I don't know what I'd do. You can't find the probability of getting a bad or good chest because there are an infinite number of chests, and we can't perform such mathematical operations with a concept like infinity. It might even be impossible to theoretically exist.

I suppose I'd just be content with what I have, though. I wouldn't open any chests. There's nothing material I desire, only changes within myself that can only be brought by actions that I take. For other people, if we want to help them, we should do it ourselves through service. That's the best path. Not relying on the chests.

So it would be best to not open any chests, in my view.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 11:05:23 PM
No, I wouldn't open any chests, since I know that doing so has a fairly high potential to harm others.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2014 11:34:19 PM
OP

This is ethics only in the distant theoretical sense.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 11:15:38 AM
-

-

It's pretty funny to see a situation in which there is the suggestion of an infinite reward and an infinite punishment, but no chance of getting either. 1 / infinity = 0

I suppose, if I found myself in that situation, I would open as many chests as I felt like, since there is no chance of finding any of the six.

Of course, infinity isn't real.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 11:38:36 AM
At 6/27/2014 11:15:38 AM, Wocambs wrote:
-

-

It's pretty funny to see a situation in which there is the suggestion of an infinite reward and an infinite punishment, but no chance of getting either. 1 / infinity = 0

I suppose, if I found myself in that situation, I would open as many chests as I felt like, since there is no chance of finding any of the six.

That is mathematically false. It is infinitely close to 0, but it is not zero.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 11:40:14 AM
At 6/26/2014 11:05:23 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
No, I wouldn't open any chests, since I know that doing so has a fairly high potential to harm others.

"Fairly high?" You have a better chance to win the lottery 100000000000x in a row then you do of opening any of the 6 chests.
Nolite Timere
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 11:43:48 AM
At 6/27/2014 11:38:36 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
-

-

Doesn't that imply that this nearly-0 of which you speak would become 1 when multiplied by infinity? I thought any number multiplied by infinity produces infinity... even an infinitely small one.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 11:50:43 AM
At 6/27/2014 11:40:14 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

"Fairly high?" You have a better chance to win the lottery 100000000000x in a row then you do of opening any of the 6 chests.

If I use that logic to justify opeing one chest, and, since there are infinite chests so opening one chest doesn't affect the odds of opening a harmful chest, I use that logic to justify opening another chest, on and on and on for an infinite amount of time, I'm guarrenteed to hit the 6 harmful chests.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 12:11:03 PM
At 6/27/2014 11:50:43 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

If I use that logic to justify opeing one chest, and, since there are infinite chests so opening one chest doesn't affect the odds of opening a harmful chest, I use that logic to justify opening another chest, on and on and on for an infinite amount of time, I'm guarrenteed to hit the 6 harmful chests.

You could open 100 trillion chests and still not even be within a 100 trillion light years of any of the 6 chests, then if you hit one of the 6 chests you have a 50% chance of it being very good. Also, all the other chests don't necessarily help you, but they can help other people too (give a random man somewhere in the world a meal).
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 12:12:44 PM
At 6/27/2014 11:43:48 AM, Wocambs wrote:
At 6/27/2014 11:38:36 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
-

-

Doesn't that imply that this nearly-0 of which you speak would become 1 when multiplied by infinity?

Perhaps, I dunno. Sounds right.

I thought any number multiplied by infinity produces infinity... even an infinitely small one.

I'm not sure and I'm also not sure that it applies.
Nolite Timere
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 12:30:01 PM
At 6/27/2014 12:11:03 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

You could open 100 trillion chests and still not even be within a 100 trillion light years of any of the 6 chests, then if you hit one of the 6 chests you have a 50% chance of it being very good. Also, all the other chests don't necessarily help you, but they can help other people too (give a random man somewhere in the world a meal).

Sure, but we're talking about opening chests for an INFINITE amount of time, and, as such, an INFINITE amount of chests will be opened. Probability can't really be useful here, because it wouldn't make sense when you're talking about infinite groups.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 12:34:36 PM
At 6/27/2014 12:30:01 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Sure, but we're talking about opening chests for an INFINITE amount of time, and, as such, an INFINITE amount of chests will be opened. Probability can't really be useful here, because it wouldn't make sense when you're talking about infinite groups.

You don't have to open chests for an infinite amount time. You can for a year, or a week, or a day, or decide on a set number.
Nolite Timere
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 12:37:50 PM
At 6/27/2014 12:34:36 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 6/27/2014 12:30:01 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

You don't have to open chests for an infinite amount time. You can for a year, or a week, or a day, or decide on a set number.

That time set would be completely arbitrary, given that the logic used to open the first chest could be applied to the decision of opening another chest after that set time (given that, since there are infinite chests, the probability of anything didn't change by the time you already spent).
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 12:50:55 PM
At 6/27/2014 12:38:04 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
The chance of opening one of those 6 chests is mathematically impossible, so I would open a chest.

a chest?
Nolite Timere
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 12:58:03 PM
At 6/27/2014 12:50:55 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
The chance of opening one of those 6 chests is mathematically impossible, so I would open a chest.

a chest?

Infinitely many. Since I could never finish opening them all, as that would entail opening the "last chest" which infinity precludes, there would always be infinitely more to open, and therefore the likelihood would remain the same.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 12:59:15 PM
What happens if you get the good AND the bad version of each chest? Do they cancel out? If so: I open chests until I find all 6, then I get returned to my life infinitely wealthy, with infinite apples, and with world hunger solved (give a man a sandwhich an infinite number of times...)
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:03:03 PM
At 6/27/2014 12:59:15 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
What happens if you get the good AND the bad version of each chest? Do they cancel out? If so: I open chests until I find all 6, then I get returned to my life infinitely wealthy, with infinite apples, and with world hunger solved (give a man a sandwhich an infinite number of times...)

The rewards of the chest occur as you open them. So as soon as you opened the chest that sends you to Hell, you would be sent to Hell. And if you opened a chest that gave you an apple, you could take that apple home with you when you return to your normal life or eat it at the field (although you wouldn't need to since you can stay alive for eternity on the field). If you opened a chest that feeds a random man a meal, then in the normal world a meal would appear in front of that random man. If you opened a chest that would stock your fridge at home with icecream, then when you got home you would find your fridge full of icecream.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:04:15 PM
At 6/27/2014 12:58:03 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

a chest?

Infinitely many. Since I could never finish opening them all, as that would entail opening the "last chest" which infinity precludes, there would always be infinitely more to open, and therefore the likelihood would remain the same.

The 6 chests would be set randomly across the infinite field. It doesn't mean you will never run into one, because there could be one but a 100 feet away from where you currently stand.
Nolite Timere
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:04:32 PM
At 6/27/2014 1:03:03 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

The rewards of the chest occur as you open them. So as soon as you opened the chest that sends you to Hell, you would be sent to Hell. And if you opened a chest that gave you an apple, you could take that apple home with you when you return to your normal life or eat it at the field (although you wouldn't need to since you can stay alive for eternity on the field). If you opened a chest that feeds a random man a meal, then in the normal world a meal would appear in front of that random man. If you opened a chest that would stock your fridge at home with icecream, then when you got home you would find your fridge full of icecream.

So getting a bad chest results in a "game over" and immediate send-back?
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:06:23 PM
At 6/27/2014 1:04:32 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Yes, getting any of the 6 chests would create immediate results and send you back to your normal life.
Nolite Timere
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:07:11 PM
At 6/27/2014 1:04:15 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

a chest?

The 6 chests would be set randomly across the infinite field. It doesn't mean you will never run into one, because there could be one but a 100 feet away from where you currently stand.

The chance of that is infinitely unlikely which is synonymous with "impossible".
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:07:28 PM
At 6/27/2014 1:06:23 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Yes, getting any of the 6 chests would create immediate results and send you back to your normal life.

Then it would depend on whether I REALLY thought it was random. If this was the Twilight Zone or Tales From The Crypt, I would immediately get a bad chest to show the dangers of hubris.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:09:41 PM
At 6/27/2014 1:07:11 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

a chest?

The chance of that is infinitely unlikely which is synonymous with "impossible".

Not impossible, but as infinitely close to it as possible.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:11:14 PM
At 6/27/2014 1:07:28 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/27/2014 1:06:23 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Then it would depend on whether I REALLY thought it was random. If this was the Twilight Zone or Tales From The Crypt, I would immediately get a bad chest to show the dangers of hubris.

Lol no that wouldn't happen. You would be placed randomly in the infinite field and all 6 chests would also be placed randomly in the infinite field. Logic would tell you to open the chests, but just the idea of an eternal punishment seems to be scary enough to make most people say no.
Nolite Timere
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:14:07 PM
At 6/27/2014 1:09:41 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

a chest?

No real distinction can be made between the two. Such a "difference" cannot be actualized; it has an abstract existence only.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:16:22 PM
At 6/27/2014 1:14:07 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 6/27/2014 1:09:41 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

a chest?

No real distinction can be made between the two. Such a "difference" cannot be actualized; it has an abstract existence only.

That being said would you open chests for all eternity, or until you have opened enough to make a sufficiently good impact on the world?
Nolite Timere
alyfish126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 1:49:38 PM
Very creative and curious situation, but I think the answer is easier with "infinity." A finite number of chests (100, a million, etc) would make for an interesting game of moral values...