Jump to topic:

Extending Rights

tahir.imanov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 4:38:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Everyone should have right to pronounce, to write to spell any word as they like.

Everyone should have right to attach meaning(s) to any word as they like.
This is red.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 11:03:42 PM
At 6/27/2014 4:38:29 PM, tahir.imanov wrote:
Everyone should have right to pronounce, to write to spell any word as they like.

That's a really dumb Idea. Do you have any idea how many dialects of English would result of this?
Martley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 8:08:32 AM

From now on I will spell "debate.org" as "Shillelagh Nipples"... I'm sure the URL will still work, because its my right!
A Black Belt is a white belt who never quit.

The best time to do something was 20 years ago.... the second best to do something is now.
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 12:49:17 PM
3r3 r3rrf3f 3 f ejfhoewh iorefporj powej frpoj pewjfp ejw pw jpej fo j, wf we fewfo 11!!!31"432 34#'3 #[44#etr [3 r3

"" 34feepj prpek fpekpfepgkekp, pejwfjpojepfdojwoshfe!!``"````!!!!
wqe

wre f jwo jpofu3030333003030 tufodsoij flsj.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
tahir.imanov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 9:44:39 PM
At 6/27/2014 11:03:42 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

That's a really dumb Idea. Do you have any idea how many dialects of English would result of this?

I don't give a ## about English. And it is not limited to English only.
This is red.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 4:33:06 AM

They can if they want, they just won't be able to communicate....if words don't communicate, then what's the point?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 5:05:05 AM

That's an interesting idea. So, for example, if I said "keep away from me, you creep," you could choose to interpret it as "please take my purse. It's full of money and I want you to have it."

The thing is though (in relation to your rights to free interpretation of language being infringed when you're taken to court), would you REALLY think that's what I meant, or would you just CLAIM to think that? Because I think interpretation of language is automatic.

Possibly, with great difficulty and effort, you could train yourself to understand language in a different way to cultural norms. But then - if you genuinely couldn't understand language in the normal way - I think you would be ruled as mentally deficient. In that case, you would be excused all sorts of acts on the grounds of mental deficiency that would be crimes if done by normal people. So you kind of do have the right.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 6:58:26 AM
It's not a matter of rights, its a matter of practicality. People are perfectly within their rights to make up words and interpret them, however no one else is obliged to acknowledge that. If an individual interprets words that allow him to break the law, then he has broken a universally accepted interpretation of words and the society will punish him for it. He still is within his rights, but society is also within its own rights to ignore or punish him for it.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...