Jump to topic:

Philosophical Zombies

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 6:20:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Philosophical Zombies are beings that would behave and exactly as humans do but lack conciousness. They are used as an argument against materialism/physicalism:

This is the argument I found off Wikipedia, I'm sure there are other formulations:

P1. If Physicalism is true, then everything that exists in our world is material
P2. From P1, therefore if a carbon-copy world exists (if Physicalism is true), THEN the beings in that world would possess conciousness
P3. It is metaphysically possible that such a world exists where the beings do not possess conciousness (P-Zombies)
C. Therefore, physicalism is false.

What so you think of these sorts of arguments? My thought is that such a world is logically inconsistent, since it presupposes Physicalism is true in the p-zombie world, therefore such beings would inevitably possess conciousness, which is just me restating P2. And doesn't seem satisfactory.

The other side of things is that it at best only prove there is a metaphysically possible world where Physicalism is false, and cannot be extended to the existing world.

Thoughts?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 10:09:30 PM
At 6/29/2014 6:20:46 PM, Envisage wrote:
Philosophical Zombies are beings that would behave and exactly as humans do but lack conciousness. They are used as an argument against materialism/physicalism:

This is the argument I found off Wikipedia, I'm sure there are other formulations:

P1. If Physicalism is true, then everything that exists in our world is material
P2. From P1, therefore if a carbon-copy world exists (if Physicalism is true), THEN the beings in that world would possess conciousness
P3. It is metaphysically possible that such a world exists where the beings do not possess conciousness (P-Zombies)

What so you think of these sorts of arguments? My thought is that such a world is logically inconsistent, since it presupposes Physicalism is true in the p-zombie world, therefore such beings would inevitably possess conciousness, which is just me restating P2. And doesn't seem satisfactory.

The other side of things is that it at best only prove there is a metaphysically possible world where Physicalism is false, and cannot be extended to the existing world.

Thoughts?

tbh it wasn't very convincing. Just because it's metaphysically possible doesn't mean physicalism is false. It's not as though physicalism has to be true in every single possible world in order to be true in our reality. If that was the case, absolutely nothing would be true, because nothing is true in every single metaphysical possible world. This isn't God we're talking about here.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 1:37:45 AM

Thoughts?

If physicalism is true, that doesn't mean it is necessarily true (true in all possible worlds). Ergo, there could still be a possible world with P-Zombies, and that wouldn't mean physicalism couldn't be true at least in the actual world.
x2MuzioPlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 3:30:48 AM

Isn't this just an ontological argument in disguise?

Actually, I think you have it backwards. I think what it's assuming is that Physicalism is false in the actual world, that consciousness is somehow independent of the physical properties that necessarily lead to consciousness. It's hypothesizing a world in which everything is the same, except consciousness doesn't exist (meaning it is somehow possible to detach it from the rest of the physical world). I'm pretty sure this argument is just circling around the presumption that Physicalism is false.

Thoughts?

I think people need to stop presuming that things we can imagine are somehow necessarily linked to reality.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 11:17:38 AM
At 6/29/2014 10:09:30 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Thoughts?

tbh it wasn't very convincing. Just because it's metaphysically possible doesn't mean physicalism is false. It's not as though physicalism has to be true in every single possible world in order to be true in our reality. If that was the case, absolutely nothing would be true, because nothing is true in every single metaphysical possible world. This isn't God we're talking about here.

True, I think the argument assumes that physicalism and idealism are necessary truths, therefore if they are false in one world then they are false in all possible worlds.

Although the justification for this seems weak, I agree.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 11:21:25 AM
At 6/30/2014 1:37:45 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Thoughts?

If physicalism is true, that doesn't mean it is necessarily true (true in all possible worlds). Ergo, there could still be a possible world with P-Zombies, and that wouldn't mean physicalism couldn't be true at least in the actual world.

As replied to the previous guy, I think it's because the argument assumes physicalism is a necessary truth for this example. Either that or the conceived world IS a physical world, and it intends to entail a contradiction. If I could reformulate:

1.) If physicalism is true, then no physical world could contain P-Zombies
2.) It is possible for a physical world to contain P-Zombies
C.) Physicalism is false

It seems to eliminate itself by description, I.e. P2 is just plain impossible, but you do the usual shenanigans to justify the possibility...
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 11:23:48 AM
At 6/30/2014 11:21:25 AM, Envisage wrote:

Thoughts?

As replied to the previous guy, I think it's because the argument assumes physicalism is a necessary truth for this example. Either that or the conceived world IS a physical world, and it intends to entail a contradiction. If I could reformulate:

C.) Physicalism is false

It seems to eliminate itself by description, I.e. P2 is just plain impossible, but you do the usual shenanigans to justify the possibility...

P1 is just plain false.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 11:30:02 AM
At 6/30/2014 11:23:48 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/30/2014 11:21:25 AM, Envisage wrote:

Thoughts?

C.) Physicalism is false

P1 is just plain false.

Explain?