A Thought Experiment

SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 10:55:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Consider this:
You're chosen for an experiment. Some scientists think that we may be living in a simulated universe. If so, they've found a way to send your mind to the real universe. However, if they're wrong, then this is the real universe and they'll be sending your mind into a simulated universe in which you won't know it's simulated.

I would go through with the experiment if the scientists were ___% sure that this was the simulated universe.

(Pick the answer that best fits, please. If your answer is below 100, do not list options with higher numbers. For example, if your answer is F, do not feel the need to add G, H, I, or J.)

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100
K) 0 (screw this universe)
L) ERROR (I would never leave this universe)
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 11:05:35 PM
At 6/30/2014 10:55:11 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
Consider this:
You're chosen for an experiment. Some scientists think that we may be living in a simulated universe. If so, they've found a way to send your mind to the real universe. However, if they're wrong, then this is the real universe and they'll be sending your mind into a simulated universe in which you won't know it's simulated.

I would go through with the experiment if the scientists were ___% sure that this was the simulated universe.

(Pick the answer that best fits, please. If your answer is below 100, do not list options with higher numbers. For example, if your answer is F, do not feel the need to add G, H, I, or J.)

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

Reread the sentence with the blank like below. It eliminates some confusion that the original might cause.

I would go through with the experiment if the scientists were ___% sure that our current universe is the simulated universe.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 2:13:44 PM
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

Once I enter the universe, can I not be taken back?
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 2:14:45 PM
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

And what sort of differences would be entailed between this universe and the real universe?
Nolite Timere
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 2:31:21 PM
At 6/30/2014 11:05:35 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

Reread the sentence with the blank like below. It eliminates some confusion that the original might cause.

I would go through with the experiment if the scientists were ___% sure that our current universe is the simulated universe.

If it's a simulation, why would scientists be unsure that it's a simulation? They're part of the simulation as well...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 3:12:46 PM
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

YOLO Innit

K!!
SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 3:24:06 PM
At 7/1/2014 2:14:45 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

And what sort of differences would be entailed between this universe and the real universe?

You wouldn't be able to come back. The simulated universe is similar to the real one regardless of which is real and which is simulated.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 3:28:51 PM
At 7/1/2014 3:24:06 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

You wouldn't be able to come back. The simulated universe is similar to the real one regardless of which is real and which is simulated.

If they are similiar what is the point of going at all?
Nolite Timere
SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 3:35:51 PM
At 7/1/2014 2:31:21 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

If it's a simulation, why would scientists be unsure that it's a simulation? They're part of the simulation as well...

My question was more of an "assuming what I've proposed is possible" kind of question. Let's say that all other people are also in the simulation if it is a simulation. If it is, they'll send you to wake up in reality. If it's not, they'll send you into a permanent simulation created by your own mind. Think of it like a more realistic dream in a permanent coma.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 3:37:15 PM
At 7/1/2014 3:35:51 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
At 7/1/2014 2:31:21 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

My question was more of an "assuming what I've proposed is possible" kind of question. Let's say that all other people are also in the simulation if it is a simulation. If it is, they'll send you to wake up in reality. If it's not, they'll send you into a permanent simulation created by your own mind. Think of it like a more realistic dream in a permanent coma.

J, then - assuming I know that the scientists are absolutely right.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 3:43:38 PM
Most likely never leave this universe. It could be simulated, but as long as I think I have free will and think this is reality, then nothing changes. They are both illusions anyway.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 3:44:22 PM
At 7/1/2014 3:28:51 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

Well, I'd rather exist in a shitty reality than a happy simulation. The universes being similar only sweetens the deal for me. I'd probably go for it around G or so.

Your lack of caring when the universes are similar is why I asked the question. I was curious to hear other people's opinions.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 9:37:47 PM
At 7/1/2014 3:44:22 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

Well, I'd rather exist in a shitty reality than a happy simulation.

And why is that?

The universes being similar only sweetens the deal for me. I'd probably go for it around G or so.

Your lack of caring when the universes are similar is why I asked the question. I was curious to hear other people's opinions.

I'm rather indifferent about the whole thing, unless by being sent to the real universe I basically live in Hell.
Nolite Timere
SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2014 11:15:18 PM
At 7/1/2014 9:37:47 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 7/1/2014 3:44:22 PM, SkepticalStardust wrote:
Consider this:

A) 10
B) 20
C) 30
D) 40
E) 50
F) 60
G) 70
H) 80
I) 90
J) 100

Well, I'd rather exist in a shitty reality than a happy simulation.

And why is that?

The universes being similar only sweetens the deal for me. I'd probably go for it around G or so.

I'm rather indifferent about the whole thing, unless by being sent to the real universe I basically live in Hell.

I've thought about it before and I don't really know why. It feels instinctual to want to be as close to truth as possible. It's the same reason Flowers For Algernon is a sad book. Charlie, the protagonist, is happier when he's mentally challenged, but he's not really living. Ignorance is bliss, but I'd rather be informed without bliss.