Jump to topic:

Questions Are More Important Than the Answers

philosurfer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 1:04:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Questions... yes; it is the questions that are sometimes more important than the answers..

In the spirit of Socrates - questions can be a dialectic-analytic dialogue in which the questions are intended to obtain enlightenment through the vehicle of doubt itself.

Ironically, in philosophy, it is doubt that is more useful and more virtuous!

The reason for this is precisely because there is an element of humbleness involved in being a truth seeker.. Someone who is genuinely concerned with truth, or trying to know what truth is, question even their most cherished beliefs. A person who cares about what is really the case even tries to disprove their opinions and beliefs.

This is completely different than a dogmatic approach.

"We may never know the truth, but I'm sure we will be better persons if we continue to search for it.." - Socrates

Thoughts and Comments Please!
GOD-vs-ITSELF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 1:13:05 PM
At 7/18/2014 1:04:11 PM, philosurfer wrote:
Questions... yes; it is the questions that are sometimes more important than the answers..

In the spirit of Socrates - questions can be a dialectic-analytic dialogue in which the questions are intended to obtain enlightenment through the vehicle of doubt itself.

The reason for this is precisely because there is an element of humbleness involved in being a truth seeker.. Someone who is genuinely concerned with truth, or trying to know what truth is, question even their most cherished beliefs. A person who cares about what is really the case even tries to disprove their opinions and beliefs.

"We may never know the truth, but I'm sure we will be better persons if we continue to search for it.." - Socrates

Thanks for this post, very interesting. I have been feeling a little bit lost in the face of my constantly growing doubt. The hard problem of induction, is just becoming a monster. and I am trying to escape with any assumption grounded in something.
If You Believe In Free Will, Then Don't Picture A Hippo For One Minute. Starting NOW
philosurfer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 2:26:49 PM
At 7/18/2014 1:13:05 PM, GOD-vs-ITSELF wrote:

Thanks for this post, very interesting. I have been feeling a little bit lost in the face of my constantly growing doubt. The hard problem of induction, is just becoming a monster. and I am trying to escape with any assumption grounded in something.

Sure, and thank you for the reply! Just a quick question, how do you mean induction? Military or..?
philosurfer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 2:30:30 PM
At 7/18/2014 2:26:49 PM, philosurfer wrote:

Sure, and thank you for the reply! Just a quick question, how do you mean induction? Military or..?

Or did you mean philosophical or scientific induction..?
GOD-vs-ITSELF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 2:42:16 PM

induction vs deduction

The seemingly untamed logical paradox known as, "The Hard Problem of Induction"
If You Believe In Free Will, Then Don't Picture A Hippo For One Minute. Starting NOW
philosurfer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 3:05:00 PM
At 7/18/2014 2:42:16 PM, GOD-vs-ITSELF wrote:

induction vs deduction

Sure. Well deduction is fairly straight forward analytically as it deals with absolutes.. using words like All or Always.. etc. The conclusion must follow in these cases..

Induction has an element of probability. But science itself is a form of induction. Do you feel science or scientific methodology gives you something worth while..? If so then your issue of induction might be worked through..

So my take on induction is that, even though it is not absolute and has an element of probability, a body of evidence can be created to where a degree of certainty can be achieved..! Sure, we can never say 100% but that is a good thing as we leave room to amend what we think we might know as new evidence and data arrive and are added. Its a good thing.

Does this mean there is no Truth..? No, it just means that we cannot be absolute. Induction has an element of humility which is required so it can work, like science.

Not sure if that helps or if you wanted to discuss something more specific in the paradox..
GOD-vs-ITSELF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 7:18:01 PM
At 7/18/2014 3:05:00 PM, philosurfer wrote:

induction vs deduction

Sure. Well deduction is fairly straight forward analytically as it deals with absolutes.. using words like All or Always.. etc. The conclusion must follow in these cases..

Induction has an element of probability. But science itself is a form of induction. Do you feel science or scientific methodology gives you something worth while..? If so then your issue of induction might be worked through..

So my take on induction is that, even though it is not absolute and has an element of probability, a body of evidence can be created to where a degree of certainty can be achieved..! Sure, we can never say 100% but that is a good thing as we leave room to amend what we think we might know as new evidence and data arrive and are added. Its a good thing.

Does this mean there is no Truth..? No, it just means that we cannot be absolute. Induction has an element of humility which is required so it can work, like science.

Not sure if that helps or if you wanted to discuss something more specific in the paradox..

I guess I haven't considered why, or if such a case would be good. Maybe, I have considered it a problem because problems are that which requires solving, which I may have mistook for that which is unsolved. Thanks again for your interesting take, Induction as humility itself.
philosurfer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2014 7:49:33 PM
At 7/18/2014 7:18:01 PM, GOD-vs-ITSELF wrote:
At 7/18/2014 3:05:00 PM, philosurfer wrote:

induction vs deduction

I guess I haven't considered why, or if such a case would be good. Maybe, I have considered it a problem because problems are that which requires solving, which I may have mistook for that which is unsolved. Thanks again for your interesting take, Induction as humility itself.

Sure thing! Think of Induction as a process rather than a formula to get strict answers.

The methodology of science is probably the best working and explore-able example of an inductive process. If you consider science as induction (which it is) I think some of the concerns and problems vanish.

Think of induction as a way (a process) to bring truths to the surface and a way to eliminate other possibilities at the same time. It does both making a truth more likely filter through...