Jump to topic:

The nature of Bias.

Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 10:41:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I remember thumbing through America: the Book a fake text book written by Jon Stewart and seeing an assignment in the back where the "student" was to write an essay on Revolutionary War Era colonial newspaper bias, explaining what was right and wrong, and to complete the essay without bias.

Or something very similar to that.

I also read a short story about a planet inhabited by "people" with psychic powers who are unable to comprehend the reality of reliable, repeatable outcomes of an experiment because the results would change based on the observers expectations of the outcome because of their mental powers over reality. On the other hand, the explorers who discovered the planet could not provide an accurate report to their superiors because it would involve an explanation of the reality that scientific methods do apply on this planet.

I also hear a lot of accusations of "bias" because the accused does not agree with the accuser.

This may be an exercise in futility, and full of logical fallacy, but can bias be objectively determined?

Is a neutral stance always possible? I'm bias toward "no."
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:47:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/22/2014 10:41:54 PM, Skynet wrote:
I remember thumbing through America: the Book a fake text book written by Jon Stewart and seeing an assignment in the back where the "student" was to write an essay on Revolutionary War Era colonial newspaper bias, explaining what was right and wrong, and to complete the essay without bias.

Or something very similar to that.

I also read a short story about a planet inhabited by "people" with psychic powers who are unable to comprehend the reality of reliable, repeatable outcomes of an experiment because the results would change based on the observers expectations of the outcome because of their mental powers over reality. On the other hand, the explorers who discovered the planet could not provide an accurate report to their superiors because it would involve an explanation of the reality that scientific methods do apply on this planet.

I also hear a lot of accusations of "bias" because the accused does not agree with the accuser.

This may be an exercise in futility, and full of logical fallacy, but can bias be objectively determined?

Is a neutral stance always possible? I'm bias toward "no."

I think there should be certain times where you should be biased only when it's convenient such as debating another person. Your going to have to lean towards your own side more than examining your opponent's position beforehand as it takes too long. There's a neutral position, but i think bias stems from desire. As long as your desire is to separate emotion from your analysis, you should be neutral.