Jump to topic:

Kill the fat man and save the kids?

Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:36:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
A popular question. If you are standing on a bridge above a railway track, a fat man is beside you, you see 5 little kids stuck on the track and a train is about to pass below and hit the kids - would you push the fat man off the bridge to stop the train? Its interesting how people answer this in my community so i am interestef in what the DDO people think.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 6:23:43 PM
No, I have no right to take a man's life, even if it is to save another. Considering he is a rational man and it is his own life, the decision must be of his own to sacrifice himself.
Nolite Timere
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 6:27:38 PM
At 7/27/2014 9:36:07 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
A popular question. If you are standing on a bridge above a railway track, a fat man is beside you, you see 5 little kids stuck on the track and a train is about to pass below and hit the kids - would you push the fat man off the bridge to stop the train? Its interesting how people answer this in my community so i am interestef in what the DDO people think.

I would watch the kids did and then push the fat man over the edge to ensure the maximum number if deaths. Speaking strictly from an anti-natalism perspective, as that would be the greatest mercy I could give.

If I valued human life though then yes I would push the fat man if I was confident it would save the kid's lives. So there, you have 2 answers in one!
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 7:34:01 PM
At 7/27/2014 6:23:43 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
No, I have no right to take a man's life, even if it is to save another. Considering he is a rational man and it is his own life, the decision must be of his own to sacrifice himself.

Interesting. Moral objectivity yes?
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 7:44:40 PM
At 7/27/2014 6:27:35 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
In theory, yes, but that wouldn't stop the train in reality, so...

Interesting that you would kill the man even in theory. You have no idea if the kids on the track will grow up evil, kill other people but you will risk killing the fat man (who might be innocent) and saving these kids who are complete strangers to you. Let us assume that one day you find yourself in a situation with this kind of moral dilemma, what would you do? But if you dont do anything and let the children die, you may live in guilt forever. Kill the fat man however and you will feel the same guilt. Honestly it will be the shitiest day of your life if you find youself in a conundrum like this.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:20:16 PM
There is an overlooked solution to this problem that I feel compelled to bring up:

Deep ecologists would suggest that we push them all in front of the train.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:27:37 PM
At 7/27/2014 7:44:40 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Interesting that you would kill the man even in theory. You have no idea if the kids on the track will grow up evil, kill other people but you will risk killing the fat man (who might be innocent) and saving these kids who are complete strangers to you. Let us assume that one day you find yourself in a situation with this kind of moral dilemma, what would you do? But if you dont do anything and let the children die, you may live in guilt forever. Kill the fat man however and you will feel the same guilt. Honestly it will be the shitiest day of your life if you find youself in a conundrum like this.

I don't believe in good and evil. It's a simple equation. 5>1.

If you kill the man, you save 5 lives.
If you do nothing, you kill 5 lives, for when one has the power to do something but doesn't act, one is still responsible for it.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:07:15 PM
At 7/27/2014 6:27:38 PM, Envisage wrote:

I would watch the kids did and then push the fat man over the edge to ensure the maximum number if deaths. Speaking strictly from an anti-natalism perspective, as that would be the greatest mercy I could give.

Thanks for the answers but some theres some stuff i want to question.

Even if you become the most anti natalistic, anti human life person in the world, killing both people will still make you feel guilty afterwards. In threory, you might do it, but in reality? You wouldnt be so eager to kill and later suffer regret.
If I valued human life though then yes I would push the fat man if I was confident it would save the kid's lives. So there, you have 2 answers in one!

If you value human life? Will you doubt you do in that situation? Even if u are certain that killing the fat man saves the lives of the kids, in reality would you actually work up the guts to kill this fat stranger? I am surprised that your answer is similar to the answers i get from my friends and family. Usually people will answer the question as if its just a theory, something that will never happen to them. But what if it does happen, what if you really had to do decide? Are you sure you know what you will do?
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:16:20 PM
the fat man is obese and doesn't respect his life anyways.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:36:27 PM
At 7/27/2014 9:27:37 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

If you do nothing, you kill 5 lives, for when one has the power to do something but doesn't act, one is still responsible for it.

But then you are responsible for the death of the fat man. Whos to say he deserved to die? And the fat man may have children of his own, killing him makes these children fatherless and they may grow ip as criminals seeking revenge. Or, the children you saved may again grow up as killers, thereby killing people and making you responsible for it because you saved their lives. Its a simple equation but with no absolute logical concluson. Another scenario is if your in a zombie apocalypse, there is a group of people in need of saving, and you have your own group. Would yyou save the group in need? What if they betray you and steal your food to survive? Or worse, kill ur comrades. But what if there are more people in that group than the people in yours. Is it then, a matter of how many lives you save?
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:38:16 PM
At 7/27/2014 10:16:20 PM, 9spaceking wrote:
Says the fat santa clause lol. But if u were to take the question seriously, what would you answer?
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:39:43 PM
At 7/27/2014 9:20:16 PM, YYW wrote:
There is an overlooked solution to this problem that I feel compelled to bring up:

Deep ecologists would suggest that we push them all in front of the train.

Meh, i suppose that works.
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:40:17 PM
At 7/27/2014 10:38:16 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:
Says the fat santa clause lol. But if u were to take the question seriously, what would you answer?

the fat man must be killed to save those kids.
It would be a much harder question if it were killing a kid to save 5 old men; those men have lived their lives through and through while the kid still has at least 80 more years to go...And I would actually kill the old men if they were over 80 years old,,,they aren't living exciting awesome lives anyways.
Equestrian election

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:49:33 PM
At 7/27/2014 10:40:17 PM, 9spaceking wrote:
At 7/27/2014 10:38:16 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

the fat man must be killed to save those kids.
It would be a much harder question if it were killing a kid to save 5 old men; those men have lived their lives through and through while the kid still has at least 80 more years to go...And I would actually kill the old men if they were over 80 years old,,,they aren't living exciting awesome lives anyways.

Yeah. Maybe even harder is if it were killing a man over a kid. Then its sort of balanced
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:04:47 PM
At 7/27/2014 10:36:27 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

But then you are responsible for the death of the fat man. Whos to say he deserved to die? And the fat man may have children of his own, killing him makes these children fatherless and they may grow ip as criminals seeking revenge. Or, the children you saved may again grow up as killers, thereby killing people and making you responsible for it because you saved their lives. Its a simple equation but with no absolute logical concluson. Another scenario is if your in a zombie apocalypse, there is a group of people in need of saving, and you have your own group. Would yyou save the group in need? What if they betray you and steal your food to survive? Or worse, kill ur comrades. But what if there are more people in that group than the people in yours. Is it then, a matter of how many lives you save?

That is the only absolute logical conclusion. Everything you're bringing in is an outside, subjective factor, irrelevant to the theory at hand.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:21:28 PM
At 7/27/2014 11:04:47 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

That is the only absolute logical conclusion. Everything you're bringing in is an outside, subjective factor, irrelevant to the theory at hand.

Oh well, if you say so. But would you actually do it? I you really were in that situation, would you really kill the fat man?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:27:57 PM
At 7/27/2014 11:21:28 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Oh well, if you say so. But would you actually do it? I you really were in that situation, would you really kill the fat man?

In that situation, no, because it wouldn't stop the train.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:28:53 PM
At 7/27/2014 11:27:57 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

And what of a situation where it does stop the train?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:29:14 PM
At 7/27/2014 11:28:53 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Then yes.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:30:51 PM
At 7/27/2014 11:29:14 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 7/27/2014 11:28:53 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Then yes.

Wow.... You are the first person that I have heard such an honest answer from. Very interesting. Thanks for the reply.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:33:00 PM
At 7/27/2014 7:34:01 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

I am a moral objectivist, but I find that irrelevant to my answer. I believe in the right to bodily autonomy. To push that man in front of a train is to degrade his human dignity and free will. As it is his body or more importantly his life, he should have the sole decision as to whether or not he saves those kids.
Nolite Timere
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:34:36 PM
At 7/27/2014 11:33:00 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 7/27/2014 7:34:01 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

I am a moral objectivist, but I find that irrelevant to my answer. I believe in the right to bodily autonomy. To push that man in front of a train is to degrade his human dignity and free will. As it is his body or more importantly his life, he should have the sole decision as to whether or not he saves those kids.

Hey wow, I have the same beliefs! Double interesting.
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 1:43:06 AM
If I knew the train would actually be stopped, I would kill the fat man to save the kids; though it's true that I alone would be responsible for the man's death.

If a man contracted a disease that only you knew about, which would result in the deaths of millions unless you killed the man, would I do it? Yes, because although I would be responsible for the man's death, in the end it would save more lives. You could say "what if those millions of people became serial killers?", but that's not a reasonable consideration. The fact is, if you didn't stop the disease from spreading and everyone found out about it, you would be held responsible (emotionally, not legally) for the deaths of those millions of people.

Inaction is a choice, and in this case it directly results in more deaths.

For instance: if the situation were simplified, and you were forced to choose whether 5 kids would be executed or one man, you could say, "I have no right to take the life of that man, so I choose to let the children die," and we can immediately see the issue. If you have no "right" to take the man's life, then you have no "right" to take the children's lives, and therefore no "right" to make any decision at all - but you have to make a decision regardless.
I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons.
A will to survive and a voice of reason.
Your enemies and your choices, son.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 2:11:04 AM
At 7/28/2014 1:43:06 AM, toolpot462 wrote:
If I knew the train would actually be stopped, I would kill the fat man to save the kids; though it's true that I alone would be responsible for the man's death.

If a man contracted a disease that only you knew about, which would result in the deaths of millions unless you killed the man, would I do it? Yes, because although I would be responsible for the man's death, in the end it would save more lives. You could say "what if those millions of people became serial killers?", but that's not a reasonable consideration. The fact is, if you didn't stop the disease from spreading and everyone found out about it, you would be held responsible (emotionally, not legally) for the deaths of those millions of people.

For instance: if the situation were simplified, and you were forced to choose whether 5 kids would be executed or one man, you could say, "I have no right to take the life of that man, so I choose to let the children die," and we can immediately see the issue. If you have no "right" to take the man's life, then you have no "right" to take the children's lives, and therefore no "right" to make any decision at all - but you have to make a decision regardless.

Yes, yes i agree. But what if that one person carrying the disease was your daughter. Would you still kill her for the sake of the lives of those you do not know?
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 2:15:41 AM
At 7/28/2014 2:11:04 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Yes, yes i agree. But what if that one person carrying the disease was your daughter. Would you still kill her for the sake of the lives of those you do not know?

I don't have a daughter or son, so it's hard to say. Presumably, she would die either way, though. But, supposing she wouldn't, I lean toward choosing my daughter. Still a hell of a scenario, though.
Your enemies and all your demons.
A will to survive and a voice of reason.
Your enemies and your choices, son.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 2:20:01 AM
At 7/28/2014 2:15:41 AM, toolpot462 wrote:
At 7/28/2014 2:11:04 AM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

I don't have a daughter or son, so it's hard to say. Presumably, she would die either way, though. But, supposing she wouldn't, I lean toward choosing my daughter. Still a hell of a scenario, though.

Yes it is. If you don't kill your daughter/son/mother or father then billions of daughters, sons, mothers and fathers will die.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 3:38:16 AM
At 7/27/2014 10:07:15 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

Even if you become the most anti natalistic, anti human life person in the world, killing both people will still make you feel guilty afterwards. In threory, you might do it, but in reality? You wouldnt be so eager to kill and later suffer regret.

So what? I would have saved 6 sentient beings from a sufferable existance. And I can't imagine feeling guilty if I genuinely thought I was doing the right thing. In fact it would be a fond memory.

If you value human life? Will you doubt you do in that situation? Even if u are certain that killing the fat man saves the lives of the kids, in reality would you actually work up the guts to kill this fat stranger?

Yes, I would.

I am surprised that your answer is similar to the answers i get from my friends and family. Usually people will answer the question as if its just a theory, something that will never happen to them. But what if it does happen, what if you really had to do decide? Are you sure you know what you will do?

If the situation was black and white in the manner you depict, then the choice is easy. It seldom is black and white though. I for one would doubt that dropping the fat guy would stop a train.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 3:41:48 AM
At 7/28/2014 3:38:16 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 7/27/2014 10:07:15 PM, Adam_Godzilla wrote:

So what? I would have saved 6 sentient beings from a sufferable existance. And I can't imagine feeling guilty if I genuinely thought I was doing the right thing. In fact it would be a fond memory.

If you value human life? Will you doubt you do in that situation? Even if u are certain that killing the fat man saves the lives of the kids, in reality would you actually work up the guts to kill this fat stranger?

Yes, I would.

I am surprised that your answer is similar to the answers i get from my friends and family. Usually people will answer the question as if its just a theory, something that will never happen to them. But what if it does happen, what if you really had to do decide? Are you sure you know what you will do?

If the situation was black and white in the manner you depict, then the choice is easy. It seldom is black and white though. I for one would doubt that dropping the fat guy would stop a train.

Hmmm.... Okay. Thanks for your answer. It was interesting.