The POE does not refute the existence of GOD

shaddamcorrinoIV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 6:37:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The argument usually goes like this:

1) God is all knowing, loving, just and omnipotent, etc.

2) There is evil in the world

3) A God with the above-stated premises would not allow god to exist

4) Therefore, god does not exist

The flaw in that logic is if God has the characteristics of: all knowing, loving, just and omnipotent, etc. Perhaps God is not loving, perhaps he can die like the Norse gods and did die and now the world is left without his influence perhaps this world was created by a senile old God who couldn't finish this work properly, perhaps this world is God's "rough draft" universe, and there's a perfect Earth somewhere out there in the multiverse. Anyhow, all the following scenarios are just as plausible (or implausible) as the other ones. (On a side-note: I realize I used the pronoun "he"but I realize that "it" is probably a better pronoun, I just used the traditional "he" pronoun for God for streamlining purposes)
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:24:37 PM
At 7/30/2014 6:37:57 PM, shaddamcorrinoIV wrote:

The flaw in that logic is if God has the characteristics of: all knowing, loving, just and omnipotent, etc. Perhaps God is not loving, perhaps he can die like the Norse gods and did die and now the world is left without his influence perhaps this world was created by a senile old God who couldn't finish this work properly, perhaps this world is God's "rough draft" universe, and there's a perfect Earth somewhere out there in the multiverse. Anyhow, all the following scenarios are just as plausible (or implausible) as the other ones. (On a side-note: I realize I used the pronoun "he"but I realize that "it" is probably a better pronoun, I just used the traditional "he" pronoun for God for streamlining purposes)

Or, maybe God is both good and evil; and, evil exists, because God exists.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 1:01:21 PM

If God could die then he wouldn't be God, God by definition must carry certain attributes to qualify for the title of being God, Supreme is the minimal definition given to God and also he would be expected to be Immortal. So God can not die.
shaddamcorrinoIV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 6:55:25 PM
At 7/31/2014 1:01:21 PM, johnlubba wrote:

If God could die then he wouldn't be God, God by definition must carry certain attributes to qualify for the title of being God, Supreme is the minimal definition given to God and also he would be expected to be Immortal. So God can not die.

Norse mythologies abound in gods dying, although I have wondered how the Norse gods could be gods if they did die.