Jump to topic:

Socrates might have been a d@#k !

shaddamcorrinoIV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 6:43:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was listening to a online video-lecture series on Plato's dialogues. When the professor got to the Crito he asked the class: "Does anyone here think Socrates deserved to die?", then a lot of murmurs, then: "Yeah, we're all in agreement here, he didn't deserve to die." And I thought to myself: "Wait a minute, the only things we know about Socrates comes from his student Plato, maybe Plato made the opposing arguments look weaker, maybe Plato left out a crucial detail like: Socrates was being tried for kicking a box of puppies over a cliff. How reliable is Plato in this?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 9:19:09 PM
At 7/30/2014 6:43:55 PM, shaddamcorrinoIV wrote:
I was listening to a online video-lecture series on Plato's dialogues. When the professor got to the Crito he asked the class: "Does anyone here think Socrates deserved to die?", then a lot of murmurs, then: "Yeah, we're all in agreement here, he didn't deserve to die." And I thought to myself: "Wait a minute, the only things we know about Socrates comes from his student Plato, maybe Plato made the opposing arguments look weaker, maybe Plato left out a crucial detail like: Socrates was being tried for kicking a box of puppies over a cliff. How reliable is Plato in this?

It's nice you are trying to be open-minded, but what is the utility of your question? Do you have any reason to think he's guilty of more crimes than impiety and the lot of BS they charged him with? What does it matter if your suspicions are correct?

The question you're supposed to be grappling with is whether Socrates needed to commit suicide because he was ordered to by the state. Tackle that question first, then worry about your conspiracy theories later!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 10:43:07 PM

The Fool: There are three different sources. Plato, Xenophon and Aristophanes.

Aristophanes makes a satire of Socrates is play. It was popular, to use real people, and Socrates gives reference to the play in the apology. While Xenophon and Plato write their own separate accounts of the apology, which match up quite consistently.

Xenophon writes a lot about Socrates as well. Not as much of a philosophical account.
Is general portrayal of Socrates has all the same traits, extremely wise, concerned with moral questions, gives the same style of arguments, and is a master cross examiner.

Against The Ideologist
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:33:44 AM
At 7/30/2014 10:43:07 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

There's four, you forgot Aristotle.

Aristophanes makes a satire of Socrates is play. It was popular, to use real people, and Socrates gives reference to the play in the apology. While Xenophon and Plato write their own separate accounts of the apology, which match up quite consistently.

Xenophon writes a lot about Socrates as well. Not as much of a philosophical account.
Is general portrayal of Socrates has all the same traits, extremely wise, concerned with moral questions, gives the same style of arguments, and is a master cross examiner.

Against The Ideologist
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:40:56 AM
At 8/1/2014 10:33:44 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 7/30/2014 10:43:07 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

There's four, you forgot Aristotle.

Against The Ideologist

Good call..

<(89)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Kc1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 3:59:47 PM

Socrates deserved to die for liking the community of women. dat rapist.
#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink