Jump to topic:

Two Iranian Soldiers

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 12:26:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There are two Iranian soldiers. Both tortured in war. One was brutally tortured for several days, but suffered brain damage, so he can no longer remember his torture. The other soldier was also tortured for several days, but can remember his sessions just fine.

The first Iranian soldier claims to have suffered more, because he can't remember his torture, and can never cope with the events that happened. Left to live forever with the pains and sores that he attained, without being able to seek retribution.
------------------------
The second Iranian soldier also claims to have had suffered more, because he remembers his torture. He must endure the horrors and memories of his painful sessions. Which haunt his dreams every night.

Who do you think suffered more? The Iranian soldier who forgot his torture, but is left to live with the pains, or the Iranian soldier who remembers his torture, and is haunted by it every night? Most people say the second soldier suffered more, but I've heard convincing cases on both sides.

I personally think the first soldier suffered the most. While both soldiers can find conclusion with the events they endured, only the second soldier can become stronger because of them. Can someone convince me the second soldier suffered more? I'm looking for a good cross examination debate.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 7:11:05 AM
At 8/1/2014 12:26:28 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
There are two Iranian soldiers. Both tortured in war. One was brutally tortured for several days, but suffered brain damage, so he can no longer remember his torture. The other soldier was also tortured for several days, but can remember his sessions just fine.

The first Iranian soldier claims to have suffered more, because he can't remember his torture, and can never cope with the events that happened. Left to live forever with the pains and sores that he attained, without being able to seek retribution.
------------------------
The second Iranian soldier also claims to have had suffered more, because he remembers his torture. He must endure the horrors and memories of his painful sessions. Which haunt his dreams every night.

Who do you think suffered more? The Iranian soldier who forgot his torture, but is left to live with the pains, or the Iranian soldier who remembers his torture, and is haunted by it every night? Most people say the second soldier suffered more, but I've heard convincing cases on both sides.

I personally think the first soldier suffered the most. While both soldiers can find conclusion with the events they endured, only the second soldier can become stronger because of them. Can someone convince me the second soldier suffered more? I'm looking for a good cross examination debate.
interesting...I guess the first soldier suffers more emotional pain since he has no idea what the heck happened to him
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 8:00:47 AM

------------------------

I've had a repressed memory from my own childhood abuse and I have to say, there was a lot more suffering after the memory resurfaced when I was 18.

Suffering though is rather subjective and it is hard to really compare "who suffered more," such an exercise is really pointless.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:27:58 AM
At 8/1/2014 8:00:47 AM, TrueScotsman wrote:
Suffering though is rather subjective and it is hard to really compare "who suffered more," such an exercise is really pointless.
The question isn't supposed to be viewed in the manner you are placing it. When people answer it, they had already imagined themselves in the same roles.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 10:52:29 AM
The second soldier obviously suffered more. If you can't remember something, it is like it never even happened at all; all you have are people telling you what happened. However, there are no traumatic effects just curiosity an confusion (as you don't remember). I wish every day that I didn't have to remember watching my best friend die right in front of me. Anybody who says the first soldier suffered more is fooling themselves.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 10:57:04 AM

------------------------

I don't want to twist the thing even more, but 1) Probably only a medic could objectively determine who suffered more during the torture by examining their bodies. And 2) There's no real way of determining it from what the soldiers tell, since soldier 1 has amnesia.

If the question is, who will suffer more AFTER the torture, I think it's soldier two, because if "time heals everything", it is precisely because it makes you forget the pain you have suffered, something soldier 1 has already done.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 10:58:58 AM
At 8/2/2014 10:52:29 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
The second soldier obviously suffered more. If you can't remember something, it is like it never even happened at all; all you have are people telling you what happened. However, there are no traumatic effects just curiosity an confusion (as you don't remember). I wish every day that I didn't have to remember watching my best friend die right in front of me. Anybody who says the first soldier suffered more is fooling themselves.
That's not untrue. We see this all the time with rape victims. They can't remember their torture, but know it happened.
http://www.google.com...'t%20remember%20rape
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 11:01:02 AM
At 8/2/2014 10:58:58 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 8/2/2014 10:52:29 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
That's not untrue. We see this all the time with rape victims. They can't remember their torture, but know it happened.
http://www.google.com...'t%20remember%20rape

It doesn't matter if you know what happened, if you don't remember it then it isn't as close to you and you will not suffer as much. What if someone told you that someone raped you last night? It wouldn't mean as much than if you actually remember the pain the the horror you went through. It is just a blank spot!