Jump to topic:

Either Way, You're Right

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 9:31:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I believe, for the most part, I was an idealist. Yet, I was never completely satisfied with reality merely existing in my head. Then, I discovered contradiction was not only compatible with logic, without it, logic would not make sense.

In each of us, exists our convictions; yet, in each of us, exists our doubts. For every way of thinking, there is an opposing view. That is the reason we argue, so fiercely. Such arguments over objectivism versus subjectivism and idealism versus materialism are as old as philosophy, itself; and, just as one thinks he, or she, has won the debate, a monkey wrench is thrown into his, or her, argument.

Arrogance about one's stance is a sure-fire way to look stupid. Being dogmatic, whether as a religionist or an atheist has the same results: a closed mind is a closed mind, regardless of its owner.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 7:26:08 PM
At 8/3/2014 9:31:51 PM, s-anthony wrote:
I believe, for the most part, I was an idealist. Yet, I was never completely satisfied with reality merely existing in my head.

Reality only existing in your mind is just one form of Idealism; Solipsism. I adhere to Theistic Idealism, which acknowledges the existence of other minds.

Then, I discovered contradiction was not only compatible with logic, without it, logic would not make sense.

In each of us, exists our convictions; yet, in each of us, exists our doubts. For every way of thinking, there is an opposing view. That is the reason we argue, so fiercely. Such arguments over objectivism versus subjectivism and idealism versus materialism are as old as philosophy, itself; and, just as one thinks he, or she, has won the debate, a monkey wrench is thrown into his, or her, argument.

Arrogance about one's stance is a sure-fire way to look stupid. Being dogmatic, whether as a religionist or an atheist has the same results: a closed mind is a closed mind, regardless of its owner.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 10:11:59 PM
At 8/4/2014 7:26:08 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 8/3/2014 9:31:51 PM, s-anthony wrote:
I believe, for the most part, I was an idealist. Yet, I was never completely satisfied with reality merely existing in my head.

Reality only existing in your mind is just one form of Idealism; Solipsism. I adhere to Theistic Idealism, which acknowledges the existence of other minds.

Even though I believed other minds or even a materialistic world could exist, I believed there was no way of proving either.

However, now, I believe, if there's a self, then, there's that which is not the self; if there's an inner-world, then, there's an outer-world.

Then, I discovered contradiction was not only compatible with logic, without it, logic would not make sense.